Thread: Pacman Jones doesn't deserve the NFL

Rookie
    Rookie ERA

Pacman Jones doesn't deserve the NFL

This is a column I wrote for the school newspaper at WSU. Tell me what you think.

I don’t get it. Maybe I just missed something. But why are NFL athletes so out of control?

Now I’m not saying every player in the NFL has problems with the law. I know Peyton Manning would nod his head and continue to sip his tea if he read this.

But the title of criminal-athlete has been achieved by a handful of NFL athletes and it is getting out of hand.

The 2006-07 Cincinnati Bengals had more players arrested than wins.

Tank Johnson was found in possession of six firearms, including two assault rifles. Now he can add a Super Bowl appearance to go along with his gun collection. And, as if it wasn’t already expected, he was a Husky. Go figure.

And then there is the Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones.

What law hasn’t he broken? In his two-year NFL career, he has refused to pay for a valet, spit in the face of two women and has been arrested on charges of assault, felony vandalism, disorderly conduct and public intoxication.

That’s not even counting his latest doings.

According to several news sources, Jones allegedly showered exotic dancers with $81,000, at a Las Vegas strip club. When a woman started picking it up, Jones allegedly slammed her head into the stage, starting a scuffle with his entourage and the security guards. The result? A triple shooting, leaving one victim, former professional wrestler and the club manager Tommy Urbanski, paralyzed.

Yet, Jones still denies it and says he is innocent. Who in the right frame of mind could come up with a story like that? How can he say he is innocent after a story like that?

Here’s what really gets me. Jones still has his job. Hasn’t Pacman run out of lives? Isn’t it time for a big “Game Over”?

How could anyone possibly let this guy still play football?

Because it’s the NFL. He’s a great player and a popular one, too. It’s kind of hard not to be with a nickname like Pacman.

So despite multiple run-ins with the law, Jones will keep his job, further proving that professional athletes have the most lenient and forgiving occupations out there. And that’s wrong.

If I were to spit in several faces and face assault charges, I’m pretty positive I would not be writing this column right now. (Editor’s note: He’s damn right.)

I don’t know how well cashing my paycheck into 54 quarters, heading to Déjà Vu, showering dancers with my quarters and attacking the women when they tried to take my hard-earned change would go either.

All in all, Jones should not be suiting up for the Titans next season. I’m not sure how many strikes it takes to get an out in football, but Pacman should have a K in the scorebook by now.

Think about the man who was paralyzed as a result of his alleged actions. Or the woman he allegedly beat into the floor and the women he allegedly spit on. Then think about whether this man really deserves to be in the NFL.

It’s obvious that run-ins with the law won’t take away Pacman’s job.

So where’s Blinky the Ghost when you really need him?

MLB ERA
    The big thing I think you (and a lot of people in general) are leaving out with all this is that he was never charged in any of the previous run ins. It would be different if he was actually getting charged in some of these events. But he hasnt been YET.

Is it stupid? Yes
    Will it stop some other team from signing him if he's released? No.

If the NFL institutes a "three strikes" policy then you might be able to say something, but even then where do you draw the line of a "strike" if the player isnt charged in the event?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Didn't he get caught for carrying marijuana, too? To me, that is more offensive than any of his other alleged crimes.

[/sarcasm]

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    i think the ghosts are closing in on pacman and he doesnt have any of those power pellets left so he can escape/eat the ghosts.

i wouldnt be surprised if the titans did cut him after all this, especially on top of those felony obstruction charges.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Pacman's helmet looks huge compared to the rest of him.