Thread: McNabb: Eagles can win without T.O.

MLB ERA

McNabb: Eagles can win without T.O.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Donovan McNabb is confident the Philadelphia Eagles can win the Super Bowl without Terrell Owens.

``I feel that if he plays or not, we definitely have a chance of making it to the Super Bowl and winning it,'' McNabb said Wednesday, one day after owner Jeffery Lurie said the team won't redo Owens' contract. ``That's nothing against T.O. and it's nothing against anybody else. I just feel confident in the guys that we have. With T.O., I think we can do a lot of great things. Without him, I still think we can do a lot of good things.''

Owens, the All-Pro wide receiver who helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl last season, skipped a mandatory minicamp last month because he wants to renegotiate the seven-year deal worth almost $49 million he signed in March 2004.

Owens' new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, declined comment Wednesday. Rosenhaus also refused to say whether Owens plans to hold out of training camp, which starts in late July.

In his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with the San Francisco 49ers, the flashy Owens set team records with 14 touchdown receptions and seven 100-yard games, and finished with 77 catches for 1,200 yards.

He broke his leg and severely sprained his right ankle in Week 15 against Dallas, an injury that sidelined him until the Super Bowl. Owens had nine catches for 122 yards after defying his doctor's advice and playing in the Eagles' 24-21 loss to New England.

McNabb, who lobbied hard for the Eagles to acquire Owens, had his best season last year, throwing for 3,875 yards and 31 TDs while earning his fifth consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl.

``It was something that we all felt we could have benefited from; having a guy like T.O. over here to do a great job for us,'' said McNabb, who spoke to reporters after shooting a television commercial. ``I think it will continue on. The sky is the limit of how far we can really go with having a guy like T.O., not only for me, but for this team. It's exciting to know what we're capable of doing when we're out on that field.''

McNabb said he expects Owens to play for the Eagles this year.

``He has a contract,'' McNabb said. ``There is desire to have more money and there is the desire to lose money. That would at least give you the motivation to get back out there on that field.

``When you sign your name on the dotted line, that's your deal, and that's a decision you have to make.''

McNabb said his relationship with Owens isn't strained, though the teammates took verbal shots at each other in the offseason.

``I wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl,'' Owens told ESPN.com, a thinly veiled reference to the fact some Eagles players said McNabb was so ill in the fourth quarter against the Patriots that he couldn't call one play in the huddle.

McNabb has denied he was sick or tired in the game, and responded sternly to Owens' comments on the first day of minicamp.

``Just keep my name out of your mouth,'' McNabb said. ``Don't try to throw names or guys under the bus to better yourself. You never heard me say any names in any situation. You never heard me talk about any given players. I'm the guy to be professional and be a man about things.''

Updated on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 5:50 pm
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    I don't think the Eagles can with without Terrell Owens. He got that team to the Super Bowl. Owens needed someone to throw to him and Mcnabb needed someone to throw to. And if Mcnabb dosn't have Owens they will fall apart and I don't think they can win their division let alone the playoffs.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston
    I don't think the Eagles can with without Terrell Owens. He got that team to the Super Bowl. Owens needed someone to throw to him and Mcnabb needed someone to throw to. And if Mcnabb dosn't have Owens they will fall apart and I don't think they can win their division let alone the playoffs.
    Fall apart?? Did you watch the Philly-Atlanta/Philly-Minnesota games??? They went to the SB without TO

I had to laugh at your post BuckFoston. Eagles can definitely win without TO. They did it prior to TO, and they did it last year when TO was injured.

McNabb and TO aren't getting along? Maybe TO should've stayed in Baltimore.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    T.O. got that team to the Super Bowl? How many catches did T.O. have in the NFC Championship? And the game before that? Yeah that's right, zero. T.O. did not get them in the Super Bowl. I am tired of people saying that on TV when it is simply not true. Then the arguement comes that they got in the playoffs because of T.O. Really? That's funny because I saw the Eagles in the NFC Championship game the year before and the year before that. McNabb is absolutely right. McNabb never said they could win the Super Bowl but simply get back to the big game. Trade T.O. the little *****.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    With TO, they got to the Super Bowl.......hold on did he play in the playoffs?!?!?!? I thought there was some guy out there with a suit on..He had big earrings and was running his mouth...oh wait that WAS TO. He was such a great postseason performer last season. Zero catches....Zero yards....Zero TDs......Zero Drops......Zero Plays...oh thats why. The Eagles have been to FOUR straight NFC Championship games and none of them had T.O.

I can see why they might have trouble with the uncertainity of the WR Corps. But when havent they without TO. They get Buckhalter back so Westbrook better be looking over his shoulder. THEY WILL WIN WITHOUT Whine-O.

Anyone notice the # of Drew Rosenhaus holdout so far.

Boldin
    Sean Taylor
    TO
    Droughns
    there was someone else too. forgot the name but SportsCenter had it on a demographic tonite.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    Fall apart?? Did you watch the Philly-Atlanta/Philly-Minnesota games??? They went to the SB without TO
    I thought it was a great accomplishment to beat a very good team in the Falcons, but the Vikings were not that great of a team to consider it an accomplishment.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by GoYankees
    Maybe TO should've stayed in Baltimore.
    T.O. did the Ravens a huge favor by refusing to play for them.

You are seeing T.O.'s true colors right now.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    Anyone notice the # of Drew Rosenhaus holdout so far..
    Drew is the NFL's version of Scott Boras

With that said, he gets the big names in the NFL. Drew has had lot of clients with the Dolphins forever.