Thread: Lions, ex-Patriot Law have a chat

MLB ERA

Lions, ex-Patriot Law have a chat

ALLEN PARK -- There is a place in the Lions' youth movement for proven veterans, and cornerback Ty Law is under consideration to help upgrade the secondary.

Law, who played at Michigan and has spent his 10 pro seasons with the three-time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, made a favorable impression in a visit Tuesday with Lions officials.

But a signing does not appear imminent, and health and financial issues are involved. Law was released by the Patriots in February because of salary-cap reasons. He missed most of the 2004 season because of a broken left foot that required surgery.

"I'm interested," Lions president Matt Millen said Wednesday. "We wanted to bring him in to give him a physical, to see where he is physically. I think he can contribute.

"You've got to find out what you're getting, if you get it.

"Finances are something you have to try to work out -- like every other team. But I wanted to see exactly where he is right now."

Law, 31, missed the last nine games of the 2004 regular season -- and all of the playoffs and Super Bowl -- because of a broken left foot. It is a serious injury for a cornerback because of the stress of constantly backpedaling, acceleration and change of direction required to play the position.

There also has been speculation that Law is overweight, which would be natural because the foot injury has kept him from working out. He is a physical cornerback, and his playing weight is listed as 200 pounds.

Law, 31, was released by the Patriots on Feb. 25 with a year left on his contract. It would have cost the Patriots $12.5 million on their salary cap for this year.

Other teams have expressed interest in Law, said his agent, Kevin Poston of Farmington Hills.

The Kansas City Chiefs considered signing him before last month's draft but traded with Miami to acquire cornerback Patrick Surtain.

Law was on the way to Miami to visit the Dolphins on Wednesday, Poston said.

Don't expect Law to sign a bargain-basement deal.

"Ty's going to get paid like he's supposed to get paid," Poston said.

Law has made the Pro Bowl four times and holds the Patriots' career record with 36 interceptions. Whether he can return to an elite level remains to be seen.

The Lions have depth at cornerback, but they also have had injuries at the position.

Dré Bly, who made the Pro Bowl the last two seasons, missed three games in 2004 because of a knee injury. Fernando Bryant, the starter at right cornerback, missed six games because of an ankle injury.

Key reserves in the secondary have injury histories. Andre Goodman missed five games last season because of a hamstring injury, and Chris Cash missed all of 2003 because of a knee injury suffered in the exhibition season.

The Lions are counting on two other young cornerbacks: Keith Smith, a rookie in 2004, and Stanley Wilson, a third-round pick in last month's draft.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/05...F01-179547.htm
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

AA ERA
    I read where the New York Jets talked to Law.

If the Jets are ever interested in dethroning the Patriots and being in the Super Bowl, they need to show the Pats that they are serious by going after Law. While I am it, I think they should talk to the Eagles about going after T.O.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Nice for the Patriots to shove Law out the door. Who do they think they are, Theo Epstein?

AA ERA
    Patriots have couple of young cornerbacks in the wings in Ashante Samuel and others. It's a great business move. Patriots can have efficient cornerbacks for less money.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    My comment was intended for smack. Getting rid of $12.5 from the payroll is always a great business move.