Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeff Van Gundy should be suspended or banished

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Phil always drags out his comebacks. id wait until its closer to the summer.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Porter: I think he will stay at home again for the second straight year. LA has nothing to offer. If he takes the job, Lakers ain't going anywhere. He does not need to coach anymore. He is making lot of money and he leaves with a good legacy. He will come back only if he has a legitimate shot of breaking Auerbach's record and he is going to want a very good team.

He is waiting for that great job. Houston could be his calling card if the Rockets are underacheiving or done in the first round again next year.

AAA ERA
    Knicks were better than the Spurs in 1998
    It was 1999 and the Knicks were nowhere near as good as the Spurs that year, they were lucky to get a game against them.

He also won with Pat Riley's players.
    Pat Riley didn't have Allan Houston, Larry Johnson, Latrell Sprewell, Kurt Thomas, Marcus Camby. The only player Riley had was Patrick Ewing and Ewing was hurt and didn't play in the Finals and didn't play most of the conf finals.

AA ERA
    Spurs were nothing that year. There is a reason why Phil Jackson said that the Spurs should have a asterisk that year. It was a second-year Tim Duncan and bunch of geritacs. Knicks should have won that series. Knicks were simply better and athletic. Most Knicks fans expected to win that series. The NY writers picked the Knicks to win that series. This loss was as bad as 1994 NBA Finals. That year was a failure in my book.

Popovich outcoached Van Gundy easily.

Van Gundy talks a good game, but never backs it up. His performance for the Rockets has been a disgrace.

AAA ERA
    Most Knicks fans expected to win that series.
    If they did they were stupid as the Knicks were an 8 seed and SA was a heavy favorite.

SA Had Duncan and Robinson(still effective at that point), Sean Elliott, Avery Johnson, Mario Elie, Jaren Jackson. Duncan and Robinson were better than anything the Knicks had and they had some great role players to go along w/ the big 2. This loss was nowhere near the Houston loss, that Knick team was much more talented and had a 3-2 lead on Houston before losing in 7.

I think Van Gundy did a very good job w/ the Knicks. He took over in a tough spot after Nelson was fired(or stepped down-I don't remember which) after Riley snuck away. He guided them to at least the East semi's his first 5 years along w/ 2 conf finals trip and 1 finals trip. He isn't Pat Riley or Phil Jackson but he's an upper echelon HC.

AA ERA
    Nellie was fired. Ewing was whining about him in which Nellie wanted him traded or coming off the bench back then. Ewing went to Checketts and called for Nellie's dismissal.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc

I think Van Gundy did a very good job w/ the Knicks. He took over in a tough spot after Nelson was fired(or stepped down-I don't remember which) after Riley snuck away. He guided them to at least the East semi's his first 5 years along w/ 2 conf finals trip and 1 finals trip. He isn't Pat Riley or Phil Jackson but he's an upper echelon HC.
    If we are going to praise him, we have to critique him too. That's part being a head coach or an athlete is all about. He did a good job in his first few years, but after the 1999 season, he didn't do much. His team choked against the Pacers in 2000, his team choked against the Raptors in 2001, and then he plotted his way out of the team by quitting when the time was right. He knew what he was doing when he quit the Knicks that year. He bailed out when the going got tough. Jeffie should take full responsibility for the team's demise BTW. Scott Layden gets lot of unfair crap for what happened, but if anyone does not think Van Gundy had personnel say on the Knicks, they haven't been paying attention. I am pretty sure he had in hand getting the players here. Van Gundy wants veterans guys. He never ever plays rookies.

His two years in Houston has been a dissapointment. Yeah the Rockets made the playoffs last year, but they should have been a higher seed and won in the first round instead of playing the Lakers. If Jeff was such a great coach, why didn't he convince Francis to play the game the right way. Jeff's solution was to dump Francis. Now granted they got a very good player in return, but great coaches find a way to make it work. Rockets had no business losing to Dallas this year with a 2-0 lead. Jeff clearly did not have his players to play as he spent time whining about the refs.

He is an average coach and nothing more. He will always be a bridesmaid and butt of Phil Jackson's jabs. I think he will be the first coach fired next year.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Van Gundy may have a point about prejudicial reffing. He just should take it up with the league privately rather than putting in in the media though. That's what Stern is so mad at - that he's putting in out there in the public.

I don't blame Van Gundy for trading away Steve Francis. Francis just doesn't get it and Orlando found out what Houston knew for years, that Francis isn't good about sharing the ball consistantly and continues to make the same dumb mistakes over and over. I hated losing Mobely in that deal, but after watching T-Mac for a year it's all good.

AAA ERA
    If we are going to praise him, we have to critique him too. That's part being a head coach or an athlete is all about.
    I didn't say he was perfect or even a great HC, I just overall he did a good job w/ the Knicks and that he is one of the better(not best) coaches in the league.

He did the wrong thing the way he quit but if either of us had to work for theDolan's maybe we'd do the same thing

His two years in Houston has been a dissapointment.
    I would agree, I expected them to be better. They came on late and were a good team but too late to get a good seed and they lost to a tough Dallas team. If they don't make a nice run next year he'll be gone.

If Jeff was such a great coach, why didn't he convince Francis to play the game the right way.
    Francis has unreal talent but he's a selfish player and that's not Jeff's fault. he has always been that way going back to college which is why he ahs never been a winner.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    You can only change a player if they're receptive to your input. Francis isn't struggling to stay in the NBA and barring injury he's still going to be one of the leagues top talents. I'm sure he doesn't see any reason to change his style and it'll take more than some guy wearing a suit on the sideline to change his opinion.

AA ERA
    Looks like I am not the only one that thinks Van Gundy is overrated.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3605230

Charley Rosen is one of the best in the business so his opinion values a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12