Thread: Nick Saban takes the Alabama coaching job

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Nick Saban takes the Alabama coaching job

Nick Saban has accepted an offer from Alabama to coach the Crimson Tide and leave the Miami Dolphins, two weeks after declaring "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

Saban told team owner Wayne Huizenga of his intentions in a face-to-face meeting Wednesday morning. Saban then informed all of his coaches by speakerphone that he was leaving the franchise to coach Alabama.

In a news conference at the team's facility, Huizenga told reporters he was not upset by Saban's departure.

"It is what it is. We have to move forward," Huizenga said. "We want the best for Nick and [his wife] Terry. I like Nick a lot and think he could have won here. I'm a Nick Saban fan."

As of late Wednesday morning, Saban was not yet headed to Tuscaloosa for a formal introduction.

"All indications are that he's coming, but I know they're not in the air yet," an Alabama athletic department official told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach.

Alabama made its formal offer to Saban on Monday after rumors swirled for weeks that the Crimson Tide were pursuing the former LSU coach. The offer, believed to run from eight to 10 years, is worth $35 million to $40 million, and includes many variables, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Monday.

Saban had issued repeated denials that he was interested in coaching Alabama, one of the most high-profile and high-pressure college coaching jobs in the country. He leaves the Dolphins with three years left on a deal worth approximately $4.5 million a year.

Saban was 15-17 without a playoff appearance in his two seasons as Dolphins coach.

"In my opinion, the Dolphins have always been about winning. I just want everyone to know that it's really all about winning now," Huizenga said. "I don't care what it takes or what it costs, we're going to make this a winning franchise -- sooner rather than later."

Alabama began looking for a coach after firing Mike Shula on Nov. 27. The Tide finished the season 6-7, losing to Oklahoma State in the Independence Bowl.

On Tuesday, Saban asked for and received more time from Huizenga to make a decision, yet Huizenga remained optimistic that Saban would remain with the Dolphins. Saban was given until 10 a.m. Wednesday to make a decision.

Saban was 48-16 in five seasons at LSU, where he won the 2003 BCS national championship.

Dec. 21:
    Saban: "I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

...oh really?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AA ERA
    well you throw that kind of money out there for a college coach he's bound to take it. i think its a good/bad move. good b/c Alabama is actually pretty good and well Miami isn't all that great since their 2 best players are getting old so not much promise there. but bad because NFL is a better career if you ask me than college.but he did it for the money no question

AA ERA
    This is exactly what the Crimson Tide needed to begin to take back the recruiting power from Auburn over the state of Alabama. Saban was always known as a excellent recruiter from his days at LSU and will surely do the same at Bama. I think it's a great move.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    I personally don't see any reason why Saban wouldn't have taken this. I know he pledged not to take the job, but a) he loves the college game and b) it's $32 million which is an ENORMOUS amount of money for a coach...not to mention c) the Dolphins suck.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds_fan_4_life
    well you throw that kind of money out there for a college coach he's bound to take it. i think its a good/bad move. good b/c Alabama is actually pretty good and well Miami isn't all that great since their 2 best players are getting old so not much promise there. but bad because NFL is a better career if you ask me than college.but he did it for the money no question
    which is silly because if youare all about teaching, college is where its at. not to mention less hours grinding like you have to do in the pros. Also, Saban is a very personable guy with kids and so that works well recruits.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Honestly, I can't see why Saban would want to stay with the Dolphins.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Hey Miami fans, I hear Denny Green is available.

I hear your mother's available.

MLB ERA
    Those rumors must have slipped past me.

Well, she ofcourse wouldn't make herself available to you.

MLB ERA
    ...so about Nick Saban...

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    Well, she ofcourse wouldn't make herself available to you.
    That's General's way of saying welcome back and that he has been seeing your mom descretely browntown.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

I know where she lives.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Guess the nfl was just a fluke! I dont blame him to taking the cash, but is it not a goal of every coach to be an nfl head coach and better yet stay in the league?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    haha he's cutting and running. Why is this job so great when they havent done squadush since 1990 (that didnt have booster cheating for) and this coming from a school that went 6-6 after going 10-2 and FIRING their coach. This job USE to be an elite program but its not a good program right now.

Ya Money talks and everything else walks. But he is leaving a job undone and this will be what his 5th different job in 10 yrs? That makes for great recruiting tool. Plus why give up one of 32 jobs for a position you could get even after getting the boot in the NFL (just look at Pittsburgh)?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes