Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSU may be in trouble next season

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

OSU may be in trouble next season

4 of their offensive studs might leave to the NFL after this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2698778

I think that Ginn would probably be a top 10 pick right now and probably the first wideout taken, even over Calvin Johnson (if he declared).
    rf28

MLB ERA
    There's no shot in hell that Ginn would be taken over CJ if they both declared.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Of course he would. Ginn was a stud receiver the best offense in the country while Johnson really hasn't shown his full potential yet.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Johnson has outperformed Ginn while being on a substantially worse offense (with arguably the worst starting QB in the nation in Reggie Ball).

In 2006, OSU had the 31st best passing offense in the nation. Georgia Tech ranked 100th, and Johnson essentially decimated Ginn as a receiver-receiver comparison.
    In 2005, the rank was something like 70th to 90th in favor of OSU.
    In 2004, G-Tech actually ranked above OSU but I couldn't find the official numbers of the passing offense.

And here's a fun thing. Reggie Ball has a 48.5% completion percentage for his career, has thrown 57 touchdowns to 45 interceptions, and has been CJ's QB for all three seasons. Smith, meanwhile, is at 63.4% and has thrown 54 touchdowns to 12 interceptions. Zwick, in his time with Ginn, was a 52.4% completions 6 to 6 guy. So not only has CJ been on worser offenses the majority of his time at G-Tech, he had a FAR FAR FAR worse quarterback.

It's especially hard to call Ginn a stud WR when he only caught 10 more balls than A-Gon and had around 60 yards more.

And then on to the physical aspects of it... Calvin Johnson is 6'4" or 6'5" and 235 and runs a 4.45 40, whereas Ginn is maybe 5'11" and 180 pounds and runs a 4.35 40. Calvin's probably the best WR prospect to come through the draft since Randy Moss. Ted Ginn is more of an incredible playmaker than anything else, and he doesn't touch Calvin Johnson in their respective abilities as a wideout. Johnson has a ridiculous combination of great speed/size/hands, and Ginn's really just got great speed and okay hands.

Johnson is unquestionably a better prospect, and has almost no chance of going lower than Ginn if they both declare. CJ's arguably the best prospect who is expected to come out of this draft, and Ginn is most certainly not.

It's also funny that you say Johnson hasn't shown his full potential yet, when for three years running he's outperformed someone in a superior passing offense (save 04) on a far superior team with a far better quarterback.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    Of course he would. Ginn was a stud receiver the best offense in the country while Johnson really hasn't shown his full potential yet.
    Johnson is an absolute beast. Ginn is great but you put Johnson with Smith and it would be on all day long. If they both declare they are both likely top 3 picks with Quinn sandwhiched in there but Johnson is the biggest playmaker on offense period.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    There's speculation that CJ runs even faster than that. I'm sorry, both could be nice, but Ginn at most early on will be an impact player on special teams and maybe as a slot receiver in not-so-complex schemes. CJ, with a real QB, will be Thunder, Lightning and God all in one body.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Too bad CJ's going to end up on the Raiders with Aaron Brooks, aka Reggie Ball but good enough to make it to the NFL

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Too bad CJ's going to end up on the Raiders with Aaron Brooks, aka Reggie Ball but good enough to make it to the NFL
    If Im the Raiders I take a shot at Tyler Palko or Chris Leak Rd 3. Neither is really runners but they dont trip over their own feet when escaping the pocket.

Any QB that can have success in Wanny's offense is a GREAT QB.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    uuummm... I think Quinn (ND) will be the first overall pick and going to the Raiders, unless Gruden makes a trade with his old bass and drafts Quinn. I truly feel he is NOT happy with Simms.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    uuummm... I think Quinn (ND) will be the first overall pick and going to the Raiders, unless Gruden makes a trade with his old bass and drafts Quinn. I truly feel he is NOT happy with Simms.
    Al has drafted QBs in round 1 exactly twice (Marinovich was late first and Marc Wilson 15th in i think 83) and Traded down fewer times than that in his career (since becoming coach in 1960) if Oakland "wins" the right to the first pick and CJ comes out he will be a Raider. Al likes freaks of nature who can run (See Doug Gabriel, Jerry Porter, trading for Randy Moss, etc). If CJ doesnt come out, its 50/50 to me but I would put money on the longshot that Al would then take Quinn but Ginn's speed could be the tie breaker.

Trust me I've followed Oakland and studied the Raiders for many years. If Johnson goes pro he is a Raider (barring injury).

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I hope neither wind up there and they draft Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If they had an offensive line, Walter might be worth something one day.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Al Davis hates drafting QBs early, like Slyder pointed out, so I don't see them taking Quinn, especially when they plan to dump Moss & Porter in the offseason and are apparently looking to keep Brooks and still like Walter.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    true, I liked him in college too.

MLB ERA
    Al Davis hates drafting QBs early, like Slyder pointed out, so I don't see them taking Quinn, especially when they plan to dump Moss & Porter in the offseason and are apparently looking to keep Brooks and still like Walter.
    Brooks from what Ive heard is pretty much 1 and done in oakland, unless something drastic has changed. This is a good year for QBs IMO. Probably deeper than most of the recent ones (not neccesarily top heavy but youll see more quality QBs out of this draft than previous years) so I expect Oakland to try and find their Drew Brees (2nd rd SD) in this draft or get Byron Leftwich or Matt Schuab via trade/FA (both of which >>>>>Brooks on his BEST day).

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast