Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you follow your sports team?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedc
    I am a homer. I follow my home teams through thick and thin and if you follow Houston sports the last 35 or so years, you know most of it was thin.
    My memory is a little fuzzy, ted.

When was the last time the Astros won the World Series, again?

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    How do you like Air Callahan?
    I like where we're heading. Top 5 recruiting class. Hey, we have a QB who went 20/27, 300 some yards IN THE FIRST HALF of the spring game. I was one of 60,000 at the spring game. That shows how much we love football in this state.

I can't wait till September!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedc
    I am a homer. I follow my home teams through thick and thin and if you follow Houston sports the last 35 or so years, you know most of it was thin.

At least im not the only Texans fan here

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    My memory is a little fuzzy, ted.

When was the last time the Astros won the World Series, again?
    Forget the Astros.

The Oilers has had some hideous moments like when they had that big lead against the Bills in an AFC second-round game. I was rooting for the Oilers since I hated the Bills at the time especially that punk Jim Kelly. Frank Reich (Bills backup QB) found a way to beat the Oilers from coming from behind.

Oh and how about when Oilers DC Buddy Ryan and Oilers OC Kevin Gilbride punching each other in the sideline against the Jets.

Bud Adams was a firecracker back then as the Houston Oilers owner. He makes Red McCombs, Vikings owner, look sane.

Those were the days.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFan2002
    I like where we're heading. Top 5 recruiting class. Hey, we have a QB who went 20/27, 300 some yards IN THE FIRST HALF of the spring game. I was one of 60,000 at the spring game. That shows how much we love football in this state.

I can't wait till September!
    At least your exicited about the Huskers this coming season. The Huskies are looking worse than they did last season right now. Thats very scary cause they went 1-10
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Rookie ERA
    OK. Very good!

Now, why do I follow my teams again?

I also hate the bandwagon spin. Like people who live in Cleveland and they are LAkers fans, Yankees fans, and Patriot fans. If you can't follow your team through the tough times, you are a weak fan in my opinion.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well considering (i know you arent talking about me).

The Niners are still the worst team in the NFL right now.
    The Huskies are the 2nd worst team in the Pac-10
    The Mariners are on pace to lose 7,000 games right now

I never did like the Seahawks or Sonics when i was growing up even when they were good. They never appealed to me. My dad's from Mississippi and he seems to like every Oakland/LA team on the planet. Thats odd to me.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    At least your exicited about the Huskers this coming season. The Huskies are looking worse than they did last season right now. Thats very scary cause they went 1-10
    Every team goes through its low times when you bring in a whole new coaching staff. Tyrone Willingham will go through that this year, but his second year at Washington should be better than the first.

MLB ERA
    MLB: Seattle Mariners. Griffey and A-Rod got me to love this team, stuck with them when the big 3 all left Seattle. They piss me off beyond belief, but they'll always be my team.

NBA: Philadelphia 76ers. My dad lived in Philadelphia for a good part of his life and was always a casual 76er fan. I loved Iverson at Georgetown so when the Sixers drafted him it just made sense.

NHL: Florida Panthers. My uncle loved hockey and always used to take me to the games, I really started to get into hockey last year, and was excited about the Panthers for this season. Oh well.

NFL: Miami Dolphins. Everyone in my family outside of my dad is a Dolphin fan. Dan Marino was the man, and I grew up going to Dolphin games.

NCAA: LSU Tigers. My dad's alma-mater, my future alma-mater. There is no place like Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night.

Kansas City Royals: Basically my home team, but I won a reading contest sponsored by George Brett when I was in second grade so that guided me toward the Royals.

Miami Dolphins: They use to have a running back named Tony Nathan. One day my dad was watching football, the Dolphins were obviously playing, and I saw Tony Nathan play. Now that may not seem like a big deal since he was a good but not great player, but his last name is the same as my first and when I was a little kid I thought that was the coolest thing. Yes, I became a Dolphins fan because of a name.

Houston Rockets: I liked Hakeem Olajuwon and have been a fan since he joined the team.

MLB:

Braves-liked them since before I lived in NY..the uniforms got me.

Yanks-hometown team, and I'm a huge Paul O'Neil fan.

NHL:

Senators-Chara. Pure and simple. Besides, their uniforms ****ing rock.
    Detroit-big Sergey Fedorov fan, even have a Wings Fedorov jersey.

NBA:

Knicks-I don't give a shit about the NBA.

NFL:

Giants-hometown team, Tiki, Strahan, LT.
    Patriots-I admire them.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    NFL: I was probably born wearing black and gold. The steelers are always the team I have loved and can't wait for 2005 season to begin.

College: WVU cause my parents had season tickets for football since I was young. I currently hate the head coach, though.

MLB: My mom was a braves fan before I even got interested in baseball. So it carried over. Chipper Jones is the biggest reason I like Atlanta. Barry Zito is the reason I cheer for Oakland.

NBA: I like the AI's. Bout it.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    reds-grew up in cincy, hometown fan. went to a ton of games at riverfront, now GABP.

nfl-cheifs...i really have no choice seeing how my whole family basically is from missouri
    bengals i've grown to like cause its cincy and i love the town to death.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Basically all because my dad liked them when I got into sports, but...

MLB - Yankees : hometown team, emormous fan of Tino/Cone/Jeter/Rivera/O'Neill/Brosius/Matsui, etc.
    NBA - Knicks : hometown team, loved Allan Houston back in the day, loved them when they ran to the Finals as a #8 seed in 1998-99.
    NFL - Packers : I'm a huge Brett Favre fan, plus my grandpa liked them so my dad liked them so I like them
    Giants : Hometown team, Strahan, Tiki, and I can remember very well the 1998 upset of the undefeated Broncos...incredible game
    Jets : My dad started liking them when they got Parcells, so I like them by default sorta...loved Vinny and Martin.

NHL - Islanders : Because unlike another certain NY Hockey team, they don't spend $353943287 billion on 40-year-old players. This actually differs from my dad.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    MLB- Baltimore Orioles- Born In Baltimore, raised in Cumberland MD in the mountains, as a kid had to listen to most games on the radio out there, probably helped my vivid imagination.

NFL- Oakland Raiders- Pure and simple, the first time I watched a game I saw Howie Long play and I was hooked, he embodied Raider football and I wanted to be like Howie.

NBA- Golden State Warriors- not a big B-ball fan, but have soft spot for Oaklands team.

NHL- Detroit Red Wings- Not big on hockey, but Like Fedorov and the Red and WHite Uni's with alot of Russian players, love the Russian connection, big mob contingent in Detroit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast