Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone following Eugene Malkin?

Anyone following Eugene Malkin?

That's some weird shit going on, man.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    No, who is he? What did he do?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Is he someone we should care about?

MLB ERA
    I doubt it. I looked him up and I think hes a hockey player. Hockey is not worth my time.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

He's a beast 20 year old center who was drafted by the Penguins...

Here's some stuff from Rotoworld, latest first:

Evgeni Malkin filed his two-week written notice to resign from Russian Superleague team Metallurg Magnitogorsk.
    Metallurg coach Dave King told the FAN 590 that they received a fax adivising them of Malkin's resignation. Russian law dictates that any employee can resign with two-weeks notice, regardless of their contract status. It is unclear how this will play out, as it is likely to end up in the courts. If he can somehow make it to Pittsburgh's training camp, and he is determined to do so, he is worth taking in your upcoming fantasy draft. And so are the days of Malkin's life.

Evgeni Malkin's team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, is outraged that their star player is missing.
    Malkin disappeared from the team's training camp a few days ago, and has not surfaced. Many believe the star player is hiding in North America until his contract situation in Russia is resolved. The head of Malkin's Russian team, Gennady Velichkin, remains livid about the entire situation, "We must sue not only Pittsburgh but the entire National Hockey League and its whole arrogance." The situation is a mystery that could easily have been written by fictional writers Robert Ludlum or Jack Higgins. Stay tuned, as the end has not been written yet.

Evgeni Malkin is reportedly no longer in Russia, but his whereabouts are currently undisclosed.
    In the latest installment of 'Where in the World is Evgeni Malkin', Malkin's North American agents, J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson, would not confirm that Malkin is not in Russia or say where he is, though they believe he is out of harm's way. "I can tell you I think he is safe, but I cannot comment on anything else," said Brisson. Reportedly Malkin's parents also have no idea where the 20-year-old is, leaving everyone to speculate what is going on with the talented Russian forward. If nothing else, Malkin is certainly making a name for himself before ever hitting the NHL, so everyone in your pool will have heard of him come draft day. More news as it breaks.

Metallurg Magnitogorsk reportedly will head to the courts for compensation for Evgeni Malkin.
    "The players, coaching staff are very upset because for four days Malkin was training with the team and suddenly he is gone without saying a word to anyone," club head Gennady Velichkin told Reuters on Sunday. Velichkin went further reportedly accusing Malkin's agents and Pittsburgh of taking their star player away from them. This is far from over, so we will now see what the next move is in this ongoing saga.

Reuters is reporting that according to the Russian news agency Itar-Tass Evgeni Malkin has left his Russian club Metallurg Magnitogorsk during training camp in Finland.
    Malkin had signed a one-year deal to play with Metallurg Magnitogorsk just this week, but it appears that Malkin really wants to play in Pittsburgh this season. Malkin apparently is no where to be found and he took all of his belongings and passport with him. This is turning into a soap opera, so stay tuned for the next episode of 'Search for Malkin'.

MLB ERA
    Ummm interesting.

MLB ERA
    its nothing new, its just hasn't been done in a while

euro/russian players used to ditched their home countries all the time in the 80's and early 90's
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA
    Ew, hockey.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Evgeni is alive and well, folks.

Still-hidden Malkin files resignation letter with Russian team

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
    August 16, 2006

AP - Aug 16, 4:45 pm EDT
    More Photos

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Evgeni Malkin has filed a letter of resignation with his Russian Super League team, a procedural move necessary for the star forward to sign with the Pittsburgh Penguins and begin his NHL career.

Malkin remained hidden Wednesday, four days after abruptly leaving the Metallurg Magnitogorsk team on Saturday after it arrived for training camp in Helsinki, Finland.

The 20-year-old Malkin, arguably the top player in the world not currently in the NHL, is believed to have flown to Canada and remained there since, with no indication he has arrived in Pittsburgh for the start of the Penguins' training camp in three weeks.

Metallurg coach Dave King, the former Columbus Blue Jackets coach, told Toronto radio station CJCL the team had received a fax from Malkin resigning from the team. Russian law permits an employee -- even an athlete under contract -- to leave his job by giving two weeks' written notice.

Described by Metallurg's general director as a "Russian treasure," Malkin has stayed out of sight since leaving the team. But his North American agents, J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson of CAA Sports, said he was safe, though they would not say where he is.

"J.P. and I have been in constant touch with Evgeni, as we would do with any player, but especially with Evgeni," Brisson told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

He would not speculate when Malkin might emerge.

Malkin, who starred for Russia's Olympic team in the Turin Olympics in February, recently agreed to stay with Metallurg for one more season. His previous contract was through 2008.

Malkin's acquaintances have suggested he was under considerable pressure and duress to agree to the deal, and it was reported in Russia the renegotiated contract wasn't completed until a 3 a.m. bargaining session.

The NHL has not publicly stated its support for Malkin and his desire to play in the league, but deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the league believes any player should have the right to choose where he wants to play as long as he is legally free to do so.

Malkin isn't the only Russian player invoking the letter of resignation as a way to leave a team and play in the NHL. Draft picks Alexei Mikhnov (Edmonton Oilers) and Andrei Taratukhin (Calgary Flames) also sent such letters to the Yaroslavl Lokomotiv team of the Russian Super League this summer in ordert to join their NHL teams.

Metallurg general director Gennady Velichkin has rebuked Malkin for leaving and is threatening to sue the Penguins if they sign him. His hardline stance is not shared by Russian national team coach Slava Bykov, who said Malkin was welcome to join the national team at any time.

"I think you can't blame him until you know what exactly happened when he was signing the contract," Bykov told Moscow's Sport-Express Daily newspaper. "There is only one thing I can't understand with this story with Malkin. We live in a free and democratic country, and anybody could leave it at any moment."

Malkin must agree to a contract with Pittsburgh before training camp, but the deal likely will be concluded with minimal negotiating. The NHL labor agreement established an entry-level salary of $984,200, and Malkin will sign a contract identical to that signed by Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin. Ovechkin was the No. 1 pick in the 2004 draft, and Malkin was No. 2.

Ovechkin's three-year deal included $850,000 in Schedule A bonuses and $2 million in Schedule B bonuses. The bonuses include those for games played, finishing in the top 10 in goals, assists and points and winning a major award such the Hart Trophy for rookie of the year. Ovechkin won that award last season.

Evgeni Malkin is in Los Angeles with his agents.
    Malkin has turned up with agents JP Barry and Pat Brisson in Los Angeles after meeting up with Barry in Helsinki last Saturday. Malkin had to wait for a visa before being able to leave Europe and when one arrived on Wednesday he departed for the US. "He's let it be known to the team for quite some time that his wish is to play in the NHL," said Barry. "Since a month ago when he terminated his contract with them there's been a lot of pressure. One of those issues is that they understand he needs a passport to get a visa so his passport was out of his hands for a good part of the past month." Now that everyone is aware of Malkin's whereabouts expect the legal battles to begin.

Evgeni Malkin says he was pressured into his Russian contract, while Metallurg Magnitogorsk is accusing the Penguins of stealing their star.
    The specific legal issues of this case are becoming more clear. Malkins says team officials came to his house and used nonstop pressure to get a contract signed at 3a.m. Meanwhile, Metallurg GM Gennady Velichkin is accusing the Penguins of "sports terrorism," and says parts of Malkin's 14-day notice are illegible. Expect this legal battle to drag out, and stay tuned for future developments.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    looks like Eugene is with the Pens, General. 3 year deal?

MLB ERA
    stardard 3 year rookie contract for Malkin

Couple other russians signed with the Edmonton Oilers (Alexei Mikhnov, 1 year rookie contarct) and the Calgary Flames (Andrei Taratukhin, 2 year deal)

both Mikhnov and Taratukhin are on 2-way contracts so the team can send them to the minors anytime.

Alexei Mikhnov is a winger who is 6'5 230, a 1st round pick (17th overall) of the Oilers in 2000.

Anderi Taratukhin is a centre who is 6'0 198, a 2nd round pick (41th overall) of the Flames in 2001

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Alexander Semin and Stanislav Chistov are also back in the NHL. The Caps and Ducks need all the help they can get on the offensive end.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Alexander Semin and Stanislav Chistov are also back in the NHL. The Caps and Ducks need all the help they can get on the offensive end.
    you sure Semin signed i thought he was still playing in Russia

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I assume he is. He is listed on the Caps roster at Yahoo and on the Caps salary page at Tsn.ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast