Thread: Winged Foot takes bite out of Tiger's comeback

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Winged Foot takes bite out of Tiger's comeback

AMARONECK, N.Y. (AP) -- The longest layoff in Tiger Woods' career ended with his shortest week at a major.

Woods kept thinking he was one putt or one shot away from turning it around Friday in the U.S. Open until there was nothing left to do but tap in for another bogey, sign for another 76 and head home.

ADVERTISEMENT
    [0]
    At 12 over par, he missed the cut in a major for the first time in 10 years as a professional.

"It's not something you want to have happen," Woods said. "Unfortunately, I missed this one."

Perhaps it was the rust from not having played since the final round of the Masters in April. Maybe his mind was cluttered by memories of his father, Earl, who died May 3 of cancer. Someone even suggested that he would have been better off playing two weeks ago in the Memorial as a tuneup instead of making his return at the toughest test in golf.

Woods shook his head each time.

"When you don't execute, you're not going to be happy either way," Woods said. "I don't care if you had what transpired in my life of recent or not. Poor execution is never going to feel very good."
    Source

You know this was kinda expected by me honestly. Nine weeks off and losing a very close dad will do that to a man.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Rookie ERA
    Yeah that is so true. He'll get back into shape soon enough, it's hard losing a loved one. Especially someone that close to you.