Thread: Mickelson makes it look easy at the Masters

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mickelson makes it look easy at the Masters

Link

By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer
    April 9, 2006

AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) -- Phil Mickelson is a Masters champion again, and now he's making it look easy.

Once known as a lovable loser who needed a dozen years to figure out how to win golf's biggest events, Mickelson captured his second straight major Sunday at Augusta National -- and this one was hardly a nail-biter. He closed with a 3-under 69 for a two-shot victory over Tim Clark, and his second green jacket in three years.

The only surprise was the way he won.

There were no thrills for Phil, rather calculated shots that forced Fred Couples, Tiger Woods and Vijay Singh to try to catch him. Instead, they stumbled along with three-putts and a litany of other mistakes that allowed Mickelson to stroll up the 18th fairway already knowing how this major would end.

He won his first major at Augusta two years ago with an 18-foot birdie putt on the final hole. He added the PGA Championship last year at Baltusrol with a flop shot out of deep rough to 2 feet for another decisive birdie on the final hole.

Mickelson's only bogey on a breezy afternoon at Augusta National came when it no longer mattered. He missed the 18th green to the left, chipped to 20 feet, then settled for two putts and subdued celebration.
    Ill call it now, Tiger Woods wins in 2007, Mickelson wins in 2008.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    He wasnt flashy but played it well... Solid win for Mickelson.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I watched the entire fourth round. Incredibly boring golf today, little excitement or drama to be had, aside from Couples choking badly on 14, Tiger three-putting and then putting his head in his hands in dismay, and Tim Clark's final shot on 18 when he holed it from the greenside bunker. Phil wins again, ho-hum.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That being said ...

Rookie ERA
    I like seeing the some what uncomfortable moments when Tiger had to hand Phil the Green jacket the same with last year only vice versa