Thread: Survey Says: The Joys of a fictional baseball game on the internet

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Attention! Survey Says: The Joys of a fictional baseball game on the internet

As they say, the internet is a serious business. Following a vacation hiatus, we're back with Survey Says. I had asked the question as to what the most enjoyable aspect besides winning, is in an OOTP league. Of all the questions I posed, I figured this would have the smallest diversity. And I was mostly right. I will say that I felt as though that the answers I received, are largely the reasons we participate in these leagues and equally the reasons that a select few rise up to be a commissioner. There were only 7 different reasons given, and only one didn't have multiple votes. I believe I can safely say that I feel all 7 answers are great and could easily be anyone or everyone's reason.

As luck would have it, the top 3 responses tied. Let me first discuss my responses. I could have easily gone with just any answer or agreed with every answer but I chose the two most significantly important reasons to me. And that's draft and trading. Everyone knows I love to trade. Sometimes I get restless or antsy sitting on the same team and not making a trade (trade deadlines are overrated!!). I'm always in the business of discussing trades, I rarely believe I ever had a player I will absolutely never consider trading, and ultimately, I think it's too boring to sit on the same team every year and 'wait' for things to happen. As you'll see with some responses, I feel that it fuels a few other popular reasons for one's joy of a sim league. As for drafting? The day a commissioner decided to allow draft pick trading, is one of the single greatest days in sim league history. Think about the increased options when it comes to trading. The increased trading period. Or the increased interest when there's a player someone really wants to draft. What better way to rebuild and have fire sales? I love drafting, and I love drafts, even if I don't have a first round pick. As soon as a draft class is finalized, I make a first round draft list to assess the value of my pick or picks. And even when I don't have picks, I love to see how much my list varies from other people's lists. It's fascinating to watch from a strategic standpoint. And what takes drafting to a new level? When we have commissioners using 'real' or 'themed' drafts. I can't tell you how cool it was to have drafted Kelly Leak, or to have Thurman Munson in a draft, or to be able to jokingly pursue having an entire infield of Seattle Mariner farmhands. Maybe some people do not appreciate drafts as much, or don't care that much at all. But there's a reason you see a lot of trading involving draft picks in MSL and TBL. There's a reason why those commissioners invest a lot of time into draft classes. It's worth it.

Honorable Mention, single vote class

Creating a player was the only response with no further responses than the original. You might not fully understand that response but consider that in the past sim leagues, people were allowed to create themselves. Or GMs were able to win created players, that turned out to be legendary. And then, there's winning the world series and being able to name a draft prospect. Adds a bit of personal creativity to the proceedings.

Not Last Place, multiple vote class

Ever draft or trade for a young player or prospect, and keep that player for his entire career? And that player winds up on the career leader boards and is a hall of famer? Two people felt that was worthwhile in a sim league. I'll be honest, I loved seeing Javier Barbosa re-write the record books in S3SL.

Not First Place, multi vote second place

As frustrating as it is to lose players to talent loss for no reason, it's equally enjoyable when a player gains talent and develops. With 3 votes, Player Development ties with GM Interaction. GM Interaction ties in with a few other categories actually, particularly trading, drafting, and in general..the random rumbling threads we have. As identified in a response, it's always interesting to see what comes of trade discussion, given we are all different in our approaches, tastes, and needs.

We Won!, 3 way tie for most multi votes

There are three things that stand atop the mountain. At six votes each, the general idea of Roster Management, Drafting, and Trading take the gold medal podium. I guess technically, drafting and trading are considered Roster Management, so would that mean Roster Management handily wins? Regardless, its worth noting that those who responded with the draft seemed to be very enthusiastic when providing their reasons. I don't blame you all. Draft can be so interesting. As for roster management, it's clear that you guys enjoy managing your teams and managing your farms.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA

Re: Survey Says: The Joys of a fictional baseball game on the internet

Ah I see. I was the single vote. Well I'll take the fact that my CAP is a Hall of Famer and one of the best 3B ever in Molinas League.
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Are you Petyak?

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA

Nope Gruber. #2 in steals all time. If only my guy didnt die out by 35, I''d have that record damnit.
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra