Thread: The "apparently I came close to having my house burn down." thread

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The "apparently I came close to having my house burn down." thread

Yea, so I was at work today and noticed that I missed a call on my Cell Phone. I check it and it was my Mom. Usually she calls me about the most pointless stuff you could imagine. So as I'm waiting for the voice mail I'm thinking "Man, when I get home I'm telling her to only call me if it's an emergency."

Turns out it was an emergency, but the message was vague as she just said "The house is on fire and the firemen are here. I found one of your cats, but I couldn't find the other. Bye."

So I'm thinking the house is going to be to the ground when I get home. I left work right away to rush home. Thankfully it was just in the fireplace and the area around it and above from the 2nd to the 3rd floor. The firemen got their and put it out before it spread. They said if no one was home, then it would have spread and burnt the house down probably. I found my other cat (he was under the covers of the bed in the guest room). Needless to say I'm thankful for that this Thanksgiving...:phew:

Good to hear everything is fine, I had my house catch on fire earlier this summer...its a very scary thing.

Again, good to hear everyone was safe.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    thanks man...if my Mom had left a more specfic message then I at least would have known everything was OK, but with that message I was scared that I lost everything...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thats insane man! Thank God everything is ok bro. My mom would be the same way too. Never giving the appropriate information.

It's great to hear everything turned out fine. Fire's are scary. Our house caught on fire last week too. Somehow the clothes inside the dryer caught on fire and came back twice after my wife put it out with the fire extinguisher. At some point it spread to clothes on the floor and in baskets and we weren't getting it out. Luckily one of the fireman just happened to be driving by my house as the 911 call went through and he got it put out before the trucks got there. He actually was able to stop them to where only one showed up. Luckily we had the fire extinguishers and our kids knew where to go.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Glad you made it out of that without any real serious problems too man. Is fire trying to get us these days? Man!

Yeah beware, I'm paranoid now. I even had an electrician in to fix a couple things and check everything out. I definetely had someone watching over me with all the luck we had. We use to run the dryer when we were asleep, we won't now.

MLB ERA
    that's good to hear then. It certainly puts things in perspective as far as what's really important.

The fire here never should have happened because the fireplace insert hasn't been used in over 8 years and it wasn't supposed to be used. They had to turn off the gas and when we went to turn it back on, a leak was discovered. We had to wait until today to get that fixed, but I'll gladly trade 2 days without hot water and a house than having no house at all.

No doubt about that!! Plus losing all your stuff, especially pictures or personal momentos. I got one thing I have put in a special place in case our house ever goes up in flames I can grab it. I thought about it when I came back around front to get the kids out, my oldest daughter's lack of urgency was amazing, but didn't get it because I didn't expect it to spread that far. It really gets you a thinking though. Like I said, I was glad we were prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    that's good to hear then. It certainly puts things in perspective as far as what's really important.

The fire here never should have happened because the fireplace insert hasn't been used in over 8 years and it wasn't supposed to be used. They had to turn off the gas and when we went to turn it back on, a leak was discovered. We had to wait until today to get that fixed, but I'll gladly trade 2 days without hot water and a house than having no house at all.

I never had to go through a fire, and hopefully will never have to. I can imagine it'd be a scary thing to go through. Glad to hear everything is ok for ya Killah and Providence.