Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hero or Criminal?

MLB ERA

Hero or Criminal?

You be the judge.

http://www.newschannel5.tv/2005/9/1/...-the-Astrodome

Thousands of refugees of Hurricane Katrina were transported to the Astrodome in Houston this week. In an extreme act of looting, one group actually stole a bus to escape ravaged areas in Louisiana. About 100 people packed into the stolen bus. They were the first to enter the Houston Astrodome, but they weren't exactly welcomed.

The big yellow school bus wasn't expected or approved to pass through the stadium's gates. Randy Nathan, who was on the bus, said they were desperate to get out of town.

"If it werent for him right there," he said, "we'd still be in New Orleans underwater. He got the bus for us."

Eighteen-year-old Jabbor Gibson jumped aboard the bus as it sat abandoned on a street in New Orleans and took control.

"I just took the bus and drove all the way here...seven hours straight,' Gibson admitted. "I hadn't ever drove a bus."

The teen packed it full of complete strangers and drove to Houston. He beat thousands of evacuees slated to arrive there.

"I t's better than being in New Orleans," said fellow passenger Albert McClaud, "we want to be somewhere where we're safe."

During a long and impatient delay, children popped their heads out of bus windows and mothers clutched their babies.

One 8-day-old infant spent the first days of his life surrounded by chaos. He's one of the many who are homeless and hungry.

Authorities eventually allowed the renegade passengers inside the dome. But the 18-year-old who ensured their safety could find himself in a world of trouble for stealing the school bus.

"I dont care if I get blamed for it ," Gibson said, "as long as I saved my people."

Looks like a hero, but again with our media slant.. they make him out to be the opposite. Funny how that works.

I know some people may be sick of me talking about this, but I don't care. The media coverage down there is appalling and is getting completely ignored.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That would be sad if he was punished for helping stranded people. But..
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hero? Yes. What he did was wrong? Technically, but it was for the general good.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    They should just look the other way for circumstances like this. These people need help, and this is a national crisis. You shouldn't punish the man for trying to save his life & 100 others too. But that's just one man's view. I am sure some will disagree.

MLB ERA
    He's technically both, I suppose. By law, he's a criminal, but what he did was heroic. I can't see any charges being pressed against him, since the uproar would be tremendous, but it's still disgusting that the media even begins to insinuate that the guy actually did something wrong. Just because it doesn't agree with the law doesn't mean it's the morally wrong thing to do.

Leave the man be. The bus was just sitting there and probably still would be had he not took it. They weren't getting help fast enough anyway and they saw an opportunity and took it and it affected nobody else in a negative manner.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    hero...I don't see how anyone could disagree...it's basically survival to live. Anyone who says they wouldn't do the same doesn't understand the situation at all.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    You be the judge.

Looks like a hero, but again with our media slant.. they make him out to be the opposite. Funny how that works.
    First thing that goes through my mind after seeing just who posted this and knowing the background on other topics like this, the kid that drove the bus must have been non-white.

Second thing that goes through my mind. Who the hell is "making him out to be the opposite". Site a source please.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    was he "correct" in what he did? probably not. but was it the right thing to do, morally? Yes. If he saved even one of those people who may have otherwise died, I'd consider him a hero.

Heroes dont always do things the "correct" way. but the kid definitely did a genuinely good service to 100 people. but he knew that he would possibly get in trouble for it and he's willing to pay the price anyways. but heroes usually are willing to, arent they? hopefully he doesnt get in any serious trouble.

i can kinda understand why the astrodome people would be a bit shocked and dismayed as it was unauthorized and they only had a limited amount of space but glad they got over it and accepted the group.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Laws are always meant to be broken. My opinion is that he purely did the right thing, and considering the chaos down south, law isn't exactly on the top of anyone's list except maybe to the media or government figure heads. But there's always going to be those who say he was wrong wrong wrong.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    Who the hell is "making him out to be the opposite". Site a source please.
    bump on this thought. Who's making him out to be a criminal?

MLB ERA
    did you read the article I posted?

this man should be treated as a hero, the slant is tremendous.

MLB ERA
    yeah, the closest thing there is to someone saying he's a criminal is this comment:

Authorities eventually allowed the renegade passengers inside the dome. But the 18-year-old who ensured their safety could find himself in a world of trouble for stealing the school bus.
    Hardly what I'd define as people calling him something other than a hero. Also, this article is the only place I've seen this story, which is why I question your comment "Looks like a hero, but again with our media slant.. they make him out to be the opposite. Funny how that works.". There's no media comment there. It says the authorities allowed him in and also says that he could find himself in trouble. Hardly what I'd call a media slant.

MLB ERA
    You really need to get a grip on some of your anger/hate.

(just an obvservation. no smack here at all)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    give me something break
    Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast