Thread: Helluva way to die

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA

Helluva way to die

A man suspected of shoplifting goods from an Atascocita Wal-Mart — including diapers and a BB gun — had begged employees to let him up from the blistering pavement in the store's parking lot where he was held, shirtless, before he died Sunday, a witness said.

An autopsy for the man, identified as Stacy Clay Driver, 30, of Cleveland, was scheduled for Monday, but officials said results probably would be delayed by a wait for toxicology tests.

Portz said three employees caught Driver, who twisted and turned until his shirt came off and he broke free and ran.

"They chased him right past me," said Portz, who followed the chase, then saw four or five employees hold Driver on the ground. Driver was pleading with them to let him up, Portz said. "The blacktop was just blistering," he said.

The high temperature at Bush Intercontinental Airport Sunday was 96 degrees.
    Read more:
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3301862

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I hope they press charges against those vigilante sprawl-mart employees. Apparently, some merch from China and sprawl-mart pride is more important than a person's life

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    fry the bastards.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    I hope they press charges against those vigilante sprawl-mart employees. Apparently, some merch from China and sprawl-mart pride is more important than a person's life
    if the guy didn't want to be manhandled he shouldn't have been trying to steal from "sprawl"-mart. I'm sure the "vigelantes" had no intentions on killing the guy, and sure they were proabably a bit excessive, but if he wasn't trying to shoplift then nothing would've happend.

It's not like the Wal-Mart employees were holding the guy down because he was talking shit about their moms
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    but if he wasn't trying to shoplift then nothing would've happend.
    I'll clarify this a bit more before anyone responds to this. I don't normally like this type of reasoning, and i'm sure someone's dying to respond with "that's like telling a rape victim it's her fault for dressing like a 'skank' " But this isn't the same thing, it's not illegal to "dress like a skank", it's not a cowardly act to "dress like a skank", and a girl has every right to "dress like a skank" wheras this guy has no right to rip Wal Mart off, making prices have to be higher to make up for that.

And don't get me wrong, I hate sounding like I could care less about a guy's life, but at the same time he chose to rip the store off and he paid the consequences, even if they were too excessive. The bottom line is he brought it upon himself.

And yes, the Wal-Mart employees were way too excessive, even despite the fact that i'm 100% certain they were simply trying to rough him up and probably just freaked out when they realized what they done when they hesitated to call the ambulance.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    walmart employees aren't paid to "rough" people up. And in retail, when you get hired, they tell you it's not worth risking your life if someone steals something...you call the cops, etc...follow procedure. They don't tell you to take the law into your own hands.

How can you say he got what he deserved? So everyone that steals something deserves to die? If you read the article the family's lawyer said he didn't steal it...but either way, that is not the point...fine if they want to tackle the guy, but to not let him up when he's begging and other customers say let him up...and they don't call an ambulance until after the guy is dead...all because the minimum wage employees needed to feel like big men. They deserve to serve some time. They murdered the man...and it wasn't self-defense or anything. I don't think the defense of "well, he stole $20 worth of merch" will justify murder.

MLB ERA
    I misworded when I said he "got what he deserved" I did not mean to imply the guy deserved to die, I was more reffering to the whole concept of being "man-handled to the ground" The fact that he died was a factor of stupidity/overeaction on the employees part. The fact that they didn't at first call an ambulance is a reaction to what they had just done. I did go on to state that they went way too far, I just mainly wanted to drive home the point that I don't carry much sympathy for a guy who feels the need to steal from a store, regardless of how much value you put on what he alledgedly stole.

As far as your last retort, I wasn't justifying the manslaughter (vice "murder") I was simply trying to state that I have little sympathy for the guy who chose to break the law simply because a group of vigilantes went to the extreme. It's not like they came out with shotguns and blew the guy's head off, they simply tackled the guy to the ground and got over excessive, and that, combined with the scorching heat of the pavement killed the guy.

Should the employees go to jail? of course. But (assuming the guy did steal the shit, that part I did admitingly miss) I don't carry too much sympathy for him.

All that said, the fact that it wasn't certain that he even stole the product (whatever it was) does make it a helluva lot worse and makes me want to stop putting any sort've defense for them, however.

The employees will probably get in trouble or Wal Mart will have to pay. They are not suppose to chase anyone down like that, let alone hold them by force. Plus if the employees weren't management, they are subject to trouble right there by Wal Mart.