Thread: My give a damn is busted...

MLB ERA

My give a damn is busted...

... but there is good news...

MLB ERA

Re: My give a damn is busted...

I had no idea Lynch was a country music fan.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Grew up on outlaw country. Waylon Jennings is one of my personal 'heroes' in terms of a musician and what he stood for in that industry.

Although, none of that matters, cuz muh give-a-damn's busted.

Rookie ERA

Waylon is infamously the guy that gave up his seat to J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson on the plane that crashed killing him, Ritchie Valens and Buddy Holly. He said something so sad during a documentary about the tragedy about how he has always felt guilty about it, one of the main incidents that led him to drinking. He stated how people thinking they were trying to make him feel better would tell him he was saved for a reason. It made him drink more, what haunts him are the last words he said to his best friend Holly in response to Holly teasing him saying “I hope your ol’ bus freezes up!” Jennings responded back, “I hope your plane crashes!”

I think in the movie version "La Bamba" they combine the guy who did the coin flip with Valens and the parting jabs as the same person. In the movie on Buddy Holly I think it was completely left out.

My give a damn is busted...-waylon-jennings-buddy-holly-jpg

MLB ERA

Yeah, from everything I ever heard or read, Waylon carried some personal HEAVY guilt/burden for many years after that incident.

What I like about Waylon is that he basically told Nashville to go fuck themselves when it came to his career and he almost quit the business entirely because of it. Back in those days, Nashville ran the entire country music industry (not so much unlike today), but they called the shots. They picked and chose the songs for artists, they picked and chose the studio musicians and the traveling musicians for everyone. Waylon didn't care for that BS because he saw how the rock industry was changing with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, etc calling their own shots. He pushed for the same thing, wanted to use his own musicians both in the studio and on the road. He also didn't care for the pre-determined "Nashville Sound" and wanted to create music his own way. Of course, Nashville didn't care for that, but his 'movement' gained steam with others joining the 'fight' (Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Willie, David Allen Coe, Merle Haggard, and a number of others). They were branded "outlaws" for bucking the system and thus, Outlaw Country was born. To me, much of that is the best country ever created.

Rookie ERA

I also love the old country music, though I like some of the new. The whole music industry though had a strangle hold on artists for many years, even rock and roll in the beginning, even the Beatles didn't call the shots until they went to their own label. Though thank goodness producer George Martin gave them a lot of freedom and a say in the recording sessions. I remember when Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson were feuding over the Beatles catalog as at one time the Beatles didn't actually own many of the rights to their music. So many of the 50's and 60's and even some of the early 70's artists don't get residuals for their music. It is such a shame that many of them not unlike the movie industry of the "golden age" of cinema had to basically sell their souls to get on with a record label. Many were polished up to look a certain way. You're right though there was room for the "outlaws" of all genres, I mean I am not a huge fan of some of the genres in recent years but they have a market and at least they are free to do what they want. If you don't like it there is a dial changer.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
    Yeah, from everything I ever heard or read, Waylon carried some personal HEAVY guilt/burden for many years after that incident.

What I like about Waylon is that he basically told Nashville to go fuck themselves when it came to his career and he almost quit the business entirely because of it. Back in those days, Nashville ran the entire country music industry (not so much unlike today), but they called the shots. They picked and chose the songs for artists, they picked and chose the studio musicians and the traveling musicians for everyone. Waylon didn't care for that BS because he saw how the rock industry was changing with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, etc calling their own shots. He pushed for the same thing, wanted to use his own musicians both in the studio and on the road. He also didn't care for the pre-determined "Nashville Sound" and wanted to create music his own way. Of course, Nashville didn't care for that, but his 'movement' gained steam with others joining the 'fight' (Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Willie, David Allen Coe, Merle Haggard, and a number of others). They were branded "outlaws" for bucking the system and thus, Outlaw Country was born. To me, much of that is the best country ever created.

Well dayum. I never knew that. I always thought "Outlaw Country" was just some made up Public Relations ploy. I'm not a huge country fan, but there's some of it I like. Most of it older stuff. Some of the pseudo country rock stuff that has come out over the last 15-20 years doesn't really appeal to me. Who was it that wrote the song, "In Texas, Bob Wills is still the King..."? (Waylon?) That older 40's and 50's country, particularly the country swing -- I do like me some of that.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanatic View Post
    Well dayum. I never knew that. I always thought "Outlaw Country" was just some made up Public Relations ploy
    If "outlaw country" were suddenly something new in this day and age, then you would probably be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanatic View Post
    "In Texas, Bob Wills is still the King..."? (Waylon?) That older 40's and 50's country, particularly the country swing -- I do like me some of that.
    Yep, written and performed by Waylon. Here's the version from his 1976 Waylon Live album.. definitely has that 'country swing' to it. Even refered to in the song.

Last edited by Lynch; 06-29-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Rookie ERA

Love that song. Time to put that on my Galaxy. And hell, while I'm at it, I might as well load up on some Bob Wills.