Thread: ITT: I talk about my first colonoscopy

Rookie ERA

ITT: I talk about my first colonoscopy

I'll talk about damn near anything in this forum...and thought I'd share about it just in case anyone else ever needs to have it done.

Yep. Just had my first colonoscopy this morning. I had a sigmoidscopy years ago (in a Sigmoidscopy, the tube with the camera only goes a short way into the colon, and they don't give you any sedation, not pleasant but not overly painful either). With the colonoscopy, they view the entire colon all the way to the end, and you have to do colon cleaning prep they day before. No solid foods (clear juices, broth, consommé okay) for the entire day. Then around noon you take two Dulcolax pills (a laxative), then at 2 pm two more. At 5 is the "fun" part. This trilyte mixture (you can add a flavor packet) that's kind of salty. Eight 8 oz glasses (4 liters) within two hours. That's the stuff that gets you in terms of cleaning out your colon. You go to the bathroom, a lot, until nothing comes out but a clear yellow fluid. Then you get up early (my appt was at 10 am) and drink 4 - 5 more 8 oz glasses to be sure everything is clear. The cleaner your colon, the easier for the doctor to see everything. My prep was rated "excellent", meaning my colon was really clean and easy to see.

The drug -- intravenous, fentanyl and something else. I didn't know they had given it to me yet when the doctor asked me to roll on my side. I looked over at the nurses and then suddenly realized I felt like I was floating a bit...interesting stuff. Watched the procedure on screen. Didn't bother me. Kind of interesting. Watched him remove one small flat polyp that he wasn't worried about (one polyp, for a man my age with all the red meat and processed meat I've eaten over my lifetime is great). It was over before I knew it and there wasn't any pain. The prep was the most annoying part.

Okay, ya bastards, let the jokes begin... and if anyone wants to see any pictures, just let me know...
    Last edited by Cyanatic; 06-05-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Re: ITT: I talk about my first colonoscopy

meaning my colon was really clean and easy to see.

Yeah, yeah it is.

I've heard watching the process is kinda like Fantasic Voyage, minus Raquel Welch.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

Rookie ERA

I for one won't joke as I was hospitalized for over a month in 2012 with C-Diff and had to have testing done on my colon as well, I felt like I was going to die, the whole thing left me so weak, I was literally bed ridden for almost 4 months. There was one stupid doctor that thought I was faking sick to get drugs. Knock on wood I haven't had any problems since.

Glad to hear yours is healthy.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    I for one won't joke as I was hospitalized for over a month in 2012 with C-Diff and had to have testing done on my colon as well, I felt like I was going to die, the whole thing left me so weak, I was literally bed ridden for almost 4 months. There was one stupid doctor that thought I was faking sick to get drugs. Knock on wood I haven't had any problems since.

Glad to hear yours is healthy.
    Sorry to hear about your battle with C-Diff. I have a cousin who had to deal with that. Rough. Hope you're doing well now.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

I do a shift or two in the OR so I know it's not really fun to go through, but post some pictures and let the other guys experience the magical journey.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

This is at age 40, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    This is at age 40, right?
    you are thinking the prostate exam,

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by schisno View Post
    I do a shift or two in the OR so I know it's not really fun to go through, but post some pictures and let the other guys experience the magical journey.
    I'll have to deny them that pleasure. But it was weird watching the screen. I had watched a video about the procedure beforehand so I knew something about it. At one point I saw a wire loop come out and take something away. "Oh, was that a polyp?" I asked the doctor. Like I'm watching tv or something. Must have been the drugs, it was like watching someone else's procedure. The polyp was serrated, but there was only one, and it was small at 0.7 cm. Still makes you feel a bit creepy when you read that a serrated polyp has cancer potential (precancerous). But I don't need another one for 5 years. A procedure, not a polyp that is. Fuck, I remember ragging on Reagan when he had polyps removed. It's all a big yuck until it happens to you. But I can't whine. I'm in good shape and there's a lot of people with real health problems they have to deal with.

Bette Davis supposedly once said, "Getting old isn't for sissies." Ain't that the damn truth.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanatic View Post
    With the colonoscopy, they view the entire colon all the way to the end
    Wait, wuh!? Don't they START at the END?

MLB ERA

Okay, ya bastards, let the jokes begin...
    *ahem ... *

It was over before I knew it and there wasn't any pain
    SO you took it up the poop chute and realized it really wasn't that bad.

Seriously Cy, this is the last thing I thought I'd hear from a Civil War vet.

Ok, seriously, glad the doc gave you a clean bill of health. Of course, after a couple gallons of that shit, you can't help but be cleaned out, eh?

Rookie ERA

Bette Davis supposedly once said, "Getting old isn't for sissies." Ain't that the damn truth.

Tobywan once said, "Golden years, my ASS!!"

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    Tobywan once said, "Golden years, my ASS!!"