Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best album from the first half of 2005?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UConnMetFan
    missionhockey- Just got TREOS' debut and if I like it as much the second time as I did the first, it'll be on the list.

Just a side note... is it just me, or was AK3's album Good Mourning better than Crimson?
    Initially I felt the same as you, but I really have grown to prefer Crimson. It showed a lot of both lyrical and musical growth and seems to have a much better flow. Good Mourning was great but there were a few duds of songs on it IMO. Well maybe not duds per se, but they just really didn't fit with the rest of the album.

I think Crimson was a great step forward for them, one of the pleasant surprises for me in 2005.

Rookie ERA
    I feel like Crimson is almost too poppy and over-produced. Still a good album though.
    GO METS!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It is for sure but that has been the path they slowly have been heading towards. Goddamnit is still by far my favorite release, a great mix of songs and the acoustic ones are awesome.

AA ERA
    Will Smith - Lost and Found is one that comes to mind right away. Need to look at the full list .

2nd half ones I'm looking forward to are mainly Switchfoot if they do get one out like I have heard, and Natasha Bedingfield (Yes I know this implies I'm gay pretty much but whatever I like it).

Just checked and Switchfoot's new CD will be titled Nothing Is Sound and is out August 16th. Natasha's US CD will be out August 2nd.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Switchfoot?!?!?!? hell yeah im waiting for that.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UConnMetFan
    I thought it was a decent album, nothing special, and in a lot of years it wouldn't be top 10. It'll probably fall off the list by the end of the year with DCFC's new album Plans coming out in late August and SOAD's Hypnotize coming out... sometime later this year.

I think I was hoping for something a little different-ish. Since they are on Chad Gray's label, I didn't expect them to be basically the same sound as Mudvayne. Then again, maybe that's why he signed them. [shrug]
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Top 5 Albums So Far

5. Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree
    What I heard of Fall Out Boy's first album had a catchy sound so I decided to check out their sophomore one, and I have to say I was not at all disappointed. The first five tracks off From Under the Cork Tree are all upbeat and catchy, and by the looks of things these guys have started to become really big...just look at the success of the lead single Sugar, We're Goin Down (I think it's #2 among rock videos on Launch Yahoo or something like that). No sophomore slump here.

4. Coldplay - X&Y
    You can pretty much take it for granted that Coldplay is going to produce a solid album from here on in. X&Y features a mix of some slower songs with powerful lyrics such as Fix You and some faster ones such as the lead single Speed of Sound. The song that most impressed me on this one is Square One, a terrific album opener. This album was not overly terrific but still definitely a worthwhile pickup.

3. Audioslave - Out Of Exile
    Another terrific sophomore album, Out Of Exile doesn't quite measure up to Audioslave's self-titled debut, but it doesn't need to in order to be successful. The lead single Be Yourself, the strong anti-war opener Your Time Has Come, the self-titled track Out of Exile, and the quirky third single Doesn't Remind Me are the highlights of the album...which, incidentally are the first four tracks. It's enough to make it a good album, but the rest of the CD also impresses, (Man or Animal and The Curse are some of the better ones). Another great CD from Chris Cornell and the ex-Rage boys.

2. System of a Down - Mezmerize
    This album stands way out from everything else this year (except the #1 album). System of a Down rebounds from their breakthrough album Toxicity with maybe an even better-sounding album. It's a different sound...more "rock" as opposed to "metal", different-sounding guitars, more of backup singer Daron Malakian...but it works brilliantly for System. I can't find a bad song on this album. System of a Down goes political (B.Y.O.B., Sad Statue) and it works, they attack big corporations (Cigaro) and it works, they question the afterlife (Question!, maybe the best song on the album) and it works, they make fun of Hollywood (Old School Hollywood, Lost in Hollywood) and it works...basically, you have to buy this CD. I can't wait to see how they follow it up with Hypnotize in the fall. And it's still not my #1 album...

1. Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned this...are you people insane? This has Grammy winner written all over it. Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters have always been a terrific band, but In Your Honor is the best album the Foos have ever put out, in my opinion. The CD is a double album, with the first side 10 "loud" songs and the next side 10 "soft" songs. If they had only released the "loud" one, I still would have been more than happy. Lead single Best of You is one of the best songs these guys have ever released...and it might not be the best song on the album. This CD grabs you right from the powerful opener In Your Honor and keeps going with terrific songs such as No Way Back and DOA, with other higlights including Resolve (I get the feeling this song is about Dave's feelings after Kurt Cobain died) and the short but fast-moving Hell. That being said, the "soft" side is pretty damn good in its own right with tracks such as "Still" and "Miracle". Is the album political or meant to send a message like Mezmerize...not at all. But it's my favorite because I think it's the best musically. Whether you're a fan of the Foo Fighters or not, buy this album or I will stab you.

Other album reviews and stuff:
    Weezer - Make Believe
    I had pretty high expectations for this one and when I first listened to the album...well, I hated it. However, listening to it a few more times I realize it's not great, but it's vintage-Weezer sounding and Rivers Cuomo does a good job (even if some of the lyrics suck). Don't listen to My Best Friend though, or you will kill yourself...I warn you, it is the worst song I have ever heard.

White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
    Blue Orchid is a good song. But the rest of the album is just plain weird. I don't even know what to make of this CD...it's completely misguided and sounds nothing like a rock band on most of the songs.

The Offspring - Greatest Hits
    You can't really review a Greatest Hits album, but it's a good choice of songs overall. The new song, Can't Repeat, is terrific and sounds just like the old Offspring. This is a good thing because Old Offspring>>>>New Offspring.

CDs I want to get:
    Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
    Gorillaz - Demon Days

Alright, now I need some breakfast.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Only when I reread through this topic do I realize how utterly dissimilar my music tastes are from the rest of the forums, haha.

\m/ death metal \m/

MLB ERA
    Great post, browntown. Rep given.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Nice...appreciate the rep.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AA ERA
    Weezer was a good one. Forgot about that.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I like that Josh Homme and Norah Jones contributed on the Foo Fighter's album. I like both Norah Jones and QOTSA...
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Non Hip-Hop:

1) System of a Down - Mesmerize
    2) Gorillaz - Demon Days
    3) Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze

Hip-Hop:

1) Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
    2) AZ - A.W.O.L.
    3a) Common - Be
    3b) Kanye West - Late Registration

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Non rock.. o_O
    Ted

MLB ERA
    I meant non hip-hop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast