Thread: Was anyone else effected by the ice storm that came through over the last few days?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Question Was anyone else effected by the ice storm that came through over the last few days?

Here in Dayton, we received about 1/2 inch of ice and a bit of snow. The first wave that hit us wasn't too bad, I was still able to come into work and stuff fine. The second wave complicated things with 30-40 mph winds and additional ice accumulation, leading to branches/trees splitting and falling as well as power lines. At one point we had like 85,000 without power. We were one of those 85,000 houses, causing us to find a hotel room as we don't have a generator or anything as a backup. Luckily though our power came back overnight.

Anybody else have any fun experiences? I know some areas got hit even worse than we did.

Hopefully everyone stayed safe!

Re: Was anyone else effected by the ice storm that came through over the last few day

I'm in Chicago...have spent a grand total of 3 hours being stuck behind cars that couldn't get through/got stuck in the street. One of them caught on fire. I didn't get stuck myself (have a Subaru), but the fact that all non-major streets are one-way streets (because they haven't been plowed) if they are passable at all makes driving a challenge.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    We got demolished in Iowa. About 13 inches I think. Literally couldn't see anything outside. Snow was drifting everywhere and the wind was so strong it felt like a hurricane. I was sliding on ice with help from the wind.

The next day was worst part though. The snow plows were busy doing the main streets so everyones cars were snowed in. I wasn't able to go anywhere all day.

God damn I can't wait til Spring.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Was anyone else effected by the ice storm that came through over the last few day

Yeah, I was watching the Weather Channel last night and Chicago looked pretty awful. Hopefully some warmer temps are coming our way soon.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I was in a horrible ice storm in '08 in KY where they called it a disaster area. I was one of the lucky ones that only lost power for three days but others went weeks and weeks without it. Trees were falling left and right but thankfully I have only one tree in my yard. I live next to a wooded creek area so I couldn't go five seconds without hearing something falling. There is still a lot of damage to this day.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Damn, that would be awful. We lost power for like 8 or 9 days from Hurricane Ike a couple of years ago (I think around 300,000 around here lost power), and that was bad... but at least it wasn't the winter.

21 inches in my neighborhood (Hyde Park, close to the lake) with drifts up to 10 feet in some places. Yeah, I shit on your 13 inches.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    21 inches in my neighborhood (Hyde Park, close to the lake) with drifts up to 10 feet in some places. Yeah, I shit on your 13 inches.
    Lol I wasnt trying to compare, ass.

Now go pick in the msl draft.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

We got the tail end of your storms. Added about 12" of sweet powder. Going out tomorrow night to groom the XC ski trails, than for a rip on the snowmobile on saturday, if things stay the way they should.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

im in new york and a garbage man... ive had two days off since christmas. snow and ice can suck it... global warming my ass.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Global frosting! And not the cupcake kind.

I've been lucky, haven't missed any days of work due to the weather although it's caused various delays and cancellations with schools, and that's a big part of our business.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA

Just the amazing pictures, especially out of Chicago, I have friends though all up in the northeast and midwest areas that have been snowed in and hampered. This is why I live in Florida guys!