Thread: Thoughts on little league today??

Banned
    ERA
    Call NASA

Thoughts on little league today??

Do you guys think less kids play little league today then they did back in the day?? I found this interview with a bunch of the yanks and they are talking about their thoughts on little league and it seems like their main concern is just getting the kids off the computer and outside to play the game.. Yankees thoughts on Little League What do you guys think?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Thoughts on little league today??

I think we have the same amount of kids playing little league today as we did back in the day, if not more. Every Little League team has a certain number of players, and since all of the roster spots are filled with the same number of kids as before, it stands to reason that we have as many kids playing Little League as before. Unless there has been contraction, which I haven't heard of.

MLB ERA

You have as many kids in little league, but a smaller proportion relative to the rest of the population. Because it's an expensive sport, you also don't see baseball in the inner city as much. That means fewer black American players.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Plus there are more kids playing soccer or other sports. I have to imagine that less kids today know how to shag flyballs or lay down a bunt than years ago, but I really don't know if games or computers are the reason. Probably some of the reason sure, but there were arcades, Dungeons and Dragons, and television back in the seventies too so its not like the unathletic didn't have alternatives to playing ball with the rest of the kids.

Plus, like Saber mentioned, its a lot cheaper to start playing basketball than it is baseball. Not to mention its easier to find a basketball hoop in the city than a baseball diamond.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You also have to factor in the notion to find 18 or so kids to play a game at the same time as well. Its easier to run 4 on 4 basketball then 9 on 9 baseball.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)