Thread: Have you ever taken an anti-depressant/anxiety/etc. med?

MLB ERA

Have you ever taken an anti-depressant/anxiety/etc. med?

Just curious.... I've hit a point in my life (after being on various meds for 7-8 years now) where I feel like they're making me loop and shit.

And it has made me question as to if they've ever done me any good, because I haven't felt one way or another on any single one of them. Just like taking sugar pills, really, only I get bad side-effects.

You don't have to list what you took/take if you do... I'm just curious to see how many people have even. A lot of people I know in real life are too shameful to take something in fear of admitting a problem, but quick to pump them down my throat...

Opinions on the matter and those type of medicines in general are welcome and appreciated.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Re: Have you ever taken an anti-depressant/anxiety/etc. med?

They make you fat.

MLB ERA

Exactly that too... when I stayed in the hospital for a little over a week, I was down to 158 pounds. Since they increased my doseage and implimented new meds, I've gone back up to 177... and I've gotten more exersize in the past 2 weeks than I usually do in a month.

That's one of the most annoying side-effects, especially having been relatively fit most of my life... the flucuating of weight is annoying. I wanna **** *****es, not look fat to *****es.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

The thing about anti-depressants isn't that they make you happy. They work more along the lines of allowing you to function again. The person taking them still has to drag themselves out of it. Ever go up to altitude and your ears plug up. The drugs kind of pop out the congestion and let your mind start thinking again.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    The thing about anti-depressants isn't that they make you happy. They work more along the lines of allowing you to function again. The person taking them still has to drag themselves out of it. Ever go up to altitude and your ears plug up. The drugs kind of pop out the congestion and let your mind start thinking again.
    zoloft made me gain weight. Lexapro made me gain some, but not as much. I havent taken either in over 5 years. Well Butrin on the other hand made me a damned anorexic my last six months on high school, which is why i went off that. I was down to 120 lbs after weighing 135 through most of my high school years.

also, you are correct. they arent happy pills, they are just the rope that will aid you in getting out of the bottom of the well. you still have to do the climbing.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

oh i know this entirely... I'm also on mood stablizers though, I'm not even on an AD at the moment. I was on celexa awhile, it didn't do anything inparticular (maybe weight gain) with abilify.... and then they took me off abilify entirely, and same goes for the celexa. now im back on abilify (a higher dose to boot) with another mood stblzr, and i feel like the combo just makes me less functional even...

i got the go ahead to try to experiment without taking anything for a week and then go from there... it's not that i expected them all to be wonder drugs or anything, but its more like taking a sugar pill than something with mind-altering chemicals in it for me... or has seemed that way lately. only i've felt worse on the new ones theyve put me on.

and rockin-- wellsbutrin or bufredrin or whatever its called made my mom rail thin i think... and she never has put the weight back on.

thanks for the feedback though guys, and sorry for the lazy grammar too.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Funny you should mention weight gain, because whenever I was on them I always lost weight. I was on Elavil a while back (almost a decade ago), and I lost almost 15 lbs during the time I was on it. They then switched me to Paxil, which was much more mild but still had the same effect. And I second what rockin and Saber said - they're meant to make you functional again, they're not the end all be all. In my case, they took off a huge load off of my shoulders, but I guess everyone reacts to them differently.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    and rockin-- wellsbutrin or bufredrin or whatever its called made my mom rail thin i think... and she never has put the weight back on.
    More like me RAILING your MOM made her THIN, am I right?

MLB ERA

You two would make a foxy couple, not gonna lie. She has a bush, too!

I went off depcatoe & abilify about a week ago, or whenever I made this post... I really don't feel any different, but I have much more energy during the day and am sleeping better at night. That could also have to do with a lot less pot/coffee intake this past week too though.

Appetite is back to normal now in the sense that I'm not wanting to eat every 5 minutes.

I'm sure if I found the right combo of meds, it would've helped more... but I genuinely felt regression from the latest batch I was trying.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Have you ever tried marijuana? Seriously, isn't this what Ricky Williams was on? Got hooked on these medications and started to feel better when he smoked. Why would he lie?

MLB ERA

I'm a big pothead. It helps me a lot at times, but I notice more and more that it's making me really paranoid lately. The paranoia makes things more complicated. But I don't really think I'd stop unless I had a job that tested. The positives (better appetite, less anxiety, better concentration) outweigh the negatives to me (being a lazy ****, being a paranoid lazy ****).

Really good pot in small amounts I find helps me concentrate and I don't get as paranoid either. If I don't get completely blasted, it usually will help me stay alert and give me a slight energy boost. but when I overdo it, I generally get lazy as hell and just sit around.

In the end though, it's become another hang-up in a way. Just something else I have to have to feel like I'm enjoying myself, or it can be that way sometimes.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat