Thread: The Wrestler

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Movies The Wrestler

has anyone else seen this? g/f and I saw this last night and both really enjoyed it. she doesn't like wrestling at all and thought it was great. not that I'm a huge wrestling fan now either...in the 80s/early 90s, but not really since. obviously, wrestling is a big part of it, but the story/emotions/drama make the movie to me. Rourke was terrific. I'm glad he starred instead of Nicholas Cage; I'm not sure if he could have pulled it off. Oh, and Marisa Tomei's body doesn't look like that of a 44-year old...I'm just saying. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes for anyone that cares, too.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: The Wrestler

Fantastic, fantastic movie.

I have it as my #6 of the year, which is a testament to all the great movies I saw this year, but it was awesome, and I hate wrestling. I'm pulling for Mickey Rourke to win the Oscar. It's not an in-your-face performance but he hits all the right notes and really plays Randy the Ram brilliantly.

One flaw, that you alluded to: Marisa Tomei was supposed to be a washed up stripper...but damn, she still looks good.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    One flaw, that you alluded to: Marisa Tomei was supposed to be a washed up stripper...but damn, she still looks good.
    I didn't realize that was her when you see her the first time. I hadn't really read about it in depth so I didn't even know what her part was. I knew the basic plot outline and about his relationship with his daughter. As someone who used to work at a supermarket, those deli scenes were very funny to me and I could appreciate them.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The scene where he first goes behind the deli counter and he's interacting with the customers is one of the best scenes in the movie IMO, maybe even the best.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Great movie. I was looking forward to it for quite some time as early buzz from the set indicated it could be something special, but then when it started getting mainstream hype pre-limited release I thought it might just be the studio throwing money behind it trying to create a comeback story for Rourke. And while it wasn't the best flick ever, it was an acting tour de force by him and his performance MADE the flick. It shouldn't be surprising though as he was able to out act vintage De Niro back in the day.