Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who plays guitar?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Who plays guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    Been playing 7-9 years. Didn't get serious about it though till 7 years ago, that's when I bought my own guitar and what not.

First off, screw starter kits (I say this because usually the guitars are horrible, but Ibanez is ok). Hopefully you learn something from the DVD, but if not just go with YouTube. There's so many good free lessons on there. One guy I'd highly recommend is this guy: YouTube - JustinSandercoeSongs's Channel

I was looking to see someone play a Led Zeppelin song, I always had trouble with the picking pattern. This guy is just great. He has lessons for all levels. Bob Marley's Three Little Birds is a really easy song. You might want to try that out.

The key to the guitar is just keep at it. Try and play everyday if only for five minutes. I've found a lot of people get frustrated that they don't get any better at it right away. What kind of music do you like? Because one of the first songs I ever learned was Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. It's not totally beginner stuff, but it's a lot more fun then trying to learn Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

So if I know any of the bands you like, I'll recommend easy songs. Hopefully your guitar sounds good. Because I know some people will buy a real shitty guitar and say "Oh well once I get good I'll buy a nice one." but on a shitty guitar, if it's poorly built. Even if you play something 100% correct it will sound bad. So you won't think you're getting better, or know if you did anything right.

Buy good strings. If you get some nicer ones, they'll make your guitar sound better then it actually is. While learning, I'd recommend playing with a clean sound. Playing barre chords with distorition sounds cool, but it won't help you get better if you can't hear your mistakes.
    Thanks for all of that. I like a lot of rock, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Eve 6...stuff like that.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Who plays guitar?

Couple things I've worked on tonight: the A Minor pentatonic scale, and getting the first little riff of Iron Man.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12