Thread: Price is Right contestant guesses exact showcase amount.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

TV Price is Right contestant guesses exact showcase amount.

To the dollar: 'Price is Right' contestant hits showcase guess on nose

By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune

December 18, 2008

There's an Internet buzz surrounding a "Price is Right" contestant who guessed to the dollar the price of his showcase of gifts during Tuesday's episode. Seems that such a precise "Double Showcase" guess has never happened in the show's long history.

Contestant Terry's on-the-nose response gave him the items in his showcase as well as the showcase of his opponent, Sharon.

So, how did this happen?

Postings on message boards at golden-road.net, a website devoted to all things "The Price is Right," say one of the site's regular members was in the audience and had been shouting out pricing answers all during the show (Contestants use these shouted answers for guidance). In this case, the audience member, who calls himself "Ted" at golden-road.net, is an expert on pricing these items and has experience giving correct dollar amounts to contestants.

"Not sure if I'm welcome at Studio 33 anymore, but I'm sure I'll find out one of these days," Ted wrote on a golden-road.net message board.

A Las Vegas radio station says that it landed an interview with Terry. KQOL-FM identified him as Terry Kneiss.

In the interview, Kneiss said he added up the items on his own and got no help from shouts coming from the audience. "I have a hearing problem," he said.

He gave this advice to anyone who wishes to replicate his good fortune: "Do your homework. Watch the show, watch the show, watch the show."

Also peculiar was host Drew Carey's understated reaction to the exact guess. "You got it right on the nose," Carey said to Kneiss, then he turned immediately to reminding viewers to have their pets spayed or neutered (a nod to longtime host Bob Barker's episode-ending sign-off).

And just what did Kneiss win? His showcase (value $23,743) included a karaoke system, a pool table and a travel trailer. Sharon's showcase (value $31,019) held trips to Chicago, Alberta, Scotland and South Africa.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZqEOhwTaE"]YouTube - The Price is Right, Showcase Showdown PERFECT BID! (HQ) - www.mcoftn.info[/ame]

I have my reservations about this one. Even if this guy watched the show a lot and knows prices for items, there's no way he should possibly be able to add everything up like that on the fly while in the audience and come up with the exact price, to the dollar, not to mention remembering all these prices (and not every item on the show has their price revealed) and then passing along this information to the contestant on stage. Something seriously fishy is going on here.

Instead of guessing the exact dollar value (since he clearly knew that he was going to be right), he should have made it less obvious that he was cheating, going instead with a guess like $23,700 or something. He would still have gotten both showcases.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Price is Right contestant guesses exact showcase amount.

Also:

It's been over thirty years since a contestant on The Price is Right guessed the exact price of their Showcase Showdown. So why was Drew Carey's so unenthused when it happened yesterday? According to TMZ, Carey's blasé delivery of "You got it right on the nozzze...spayed and neutered...I'm outta here" wasn't just the simple, tossed-off gesture of a man late to the afternoon hot wings special at Crazy Girls:

A TMZ spy who happened to be in the audience during the taping says when Drew knew the guy hit the exact number, he stopped taping and had a pow-wow with show producers for nearly 30 minutes. Our spy thinks they were trying to figure out how to handle the situation on camera. Unfortunately, when they resumed taping, Drew's reaction was a little less than spectacular - while the crowd went insane.

To be fair, the crowd goes insane at the merest glimpse of the Plinko board, but still! Had Bob Barker delivered the news, he surely would have brought it the deserved sense of occasion; we can envision him now, giving one of the Barker's Beauties a celebratory fondle while spaying the vanquished Showcase contestant in a little-known, terribly bloody consequence of her competitor's exact guess.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

didn't the guy also get the item exactly right in order to get on stage in the first place? 2 exact bids? something is fishy about that.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

To be fair, the crowd goes insane at the merest glimpse of the Plinko board, but still!

I am guessing Carey didn't show the appropriate amount of enthusiasm because he thought foul play was afoot.