Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: President Barack Obama

MLB ERA

Re: President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    McCain ran a fairly strong campaign with what he had, but the problem with Palin was that she scared away more voters than she brought in. She scared away most people with her ridiculously conservative ideals. It scared people away that she was as against abortion as she was(completely against Roe vs. Wade). It scared people that she flip flopped on her bridge to nowhere(supporting it, rejecting it when it was an embarrassment, then saying she was never for it, then keeping the money). It scared people away that she fired a sheriff over his refusal to fire her former brother in law without reason. She wanted the guy fired because of a rough divorce, and when the sheriff wouldn't fire him, he was fired instead (also the guy tasered a kid, acqusations of domestic violence among other "charges") . That could also be considered Insubbordination. It scared people that she couldn't make up her mind with colleges. She attended at least 4 different colleges, and never stayed at one for more than 3 consecutive semesters, taking over 5 years to gain her bachelors. I really didnt know much about the college thing but 5 yrs to get a degree is pretty much par for the course. And in general it scared people that she had such a terrible interview with Katie Couric. You can tell me all day that Couric was a part of the "gotcha media", but it was not like she was hitting Palin THAT hard. I didnt get to see the interview.I mean, "What magazines do you read, give examples?" is not that bad a question. Palin was just not ready to be thrust this far onto the national stage so quickly and so visibly, and it showed. Maybe in 4 years(or more likely 8+) she will prove that this was a "rookie mistake", but that's far from a given.

He could have chosen either Huckabee or Romney, and he would have had fewer mistakes

Huckabee would have been a TERRIBLE choice. He's had his fair share of gaffs (probably on par with Biden and Palin) when speaking, a minister who once said people with aids ought to be isolated, he would have scared many pro-choice and seperation of church and staters, and the non-religious. Would have done nothing to bring in the right wingers that didnt want to support McCain for being too moderate , and a better shot at winning those states like Indiana and Virginia that ALWAYS go red, but this year went blue. Indiana and Virginia flipped largely due to first time voters and blacks. No one short of George Washington or Thomas Jefferson would have prevented that.
    Romney I hate to say it would have been a drag too. Can you imagine the fun people would have with Romney's biography. "You made a fortune by firing people" in this enviroment he would have been a massive drag, maybe not as much as Huckabee but there wasnt really that "perfect veep" except Jeb Bush (no he's not as dumb as his brother) or Tom Ridge (Pro-Choice). If Jeb's last name was Smith or Jones or anything besides Bush he would have probably been the Veep. Secured Florida, very popular among conservatives and hispanics. 2 term governor, compromised oil drilling off Florida's coast, endorsed twice by the Florida Jewish population...

But the fact remains his last names BUSH.

Tom Ridge is rumored to have been on George's short list but got nixed cause he's pro choice.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Where was Biden the last oh couple months? Palin was giving speeches everywhere from PA, to Ohio, to Missouri, to Florida, you name it she hit the campaign trail. Biden was no where because they were scared that one of his gaffs might actually make the news.

To the Palin: Care to compare the coverage? They were out to destroy her. She gets named to VP and 30 lawyers invade Alaska looking for ANYTHING. Why didnt Obama who has "comparable" experience get the same fine tooth comb treatment...

And Bush and the Republicans tried to change Fannie and Freddie 14 times... Democrats screamed bloody murder and tried to commit political murder on the bureaucrat who said "I cant look the other way any more".

I do not argue that Obama ran the better campaign but with everything going against McCain it was a lot closer than it probably should have been. The only thing that might have tilted stuff is McCain voted no on the bailout (that "had to be done then") and proposed his 300 mil dollar plan in place of. Obama made a lot of promises it shall be interesting to see how long of a honey moon he gets.
    If one of Obama's girls had gotten pregnant like Palin's did, then yes Obama would have been blasted by the media. Also Obama didn't ****ing spend 150k on his wardrobe.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

The only Veeps that I might have supported McCain on (outside of his choice) was Romney, and Fred Thompson.

McCain tried to land the conservative base who dont really like him as he is a RINO. Most of the conservatives I know were thinking of sitting this one out or voting for one of the third parties.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678