Thread: LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley Passes Away

MLB ERA

LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley Passes Away

(KSL News) Officials with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced this evening that Church President Gordon B. Hinckley has passed away.

He passed away at his home about 7 o'clock this evening with his family was at his side. President Hinckley was 97 years old. He was the 15th president of the church.

Born in Salt Lake City on June 23, 1910; he graduated from the University of Utah and served a mission to Great Britain. After he returned, he embarked on a lifetime of service for the church.

He was employed as the executive secretary of the Church Radio, Publicity, and Literature committee, before he was called to be an Apostle in 1961.

He was later called to serve as a counselor to President Kimball, President Benson and President Hunter.

Since becoming church President on Mar. 12, 1995, he has directed the most intense temple building program in the history of the church in an effort to extend temple blessings to more members.

He has exhibited vitality and energy as he has traveled about the world meeting and speaking to members of the church.

Through television interviews and national press publications, he has increased media attention and improved the public image of the church. He has counseled church members to fellowship new converts, befriend members of other faiths, live exemplary lives, and avoid the evils of the world.

ksl.com - Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley has passed away

This is sad
    Last edited by BuckFoston; 09-16-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley Passes Away

The other day while I was on the subway, this Mormon dude walked up to me and introduced himself to me and started talking about his church and his faith and how he had moved from Utah to Montreal for a two-year period to act as a missionary and to spread the "teachings of God" to the people here. I told him "welcome to Canada and good luck", and then I walked away.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley Passes Away

Yeah, President Hinkley was a good man, but good grief, he was 97 wasn't he? He'll be missed, but the new president Monson will do fine. By the way this is my first post. I'm surprised to see a Mormon thread here.