Thread: I Am Legend

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I Am Legend

Will Smith as the last man on Earth in New York City in 2010...how can this movie not be good?

Seriously, Will Smith is golden as Dr. Robert Neville, seemingly the last survivor of a virus that wiped out 90% of the population and turned 9% into "dark seekers," basically vampire/zombie hybrids who only exist in (you guessed it!) the dark. Smith's only companion for the vast majority of the film is his dog, Samantha, who immediately earns a spot in the Pantheon of Great Dog Actors with Lassie, Beethoven, and Hercules from the Sandlot. Getting back to the plot, Neville hunts and looks for a cure by day, and then locks up his Washington Square mansion at night to stay safe from the beasties. Saying any more would be giving away a crucial part of the plot.

Bottom line, this is Smith's film. As the only person in nearly the entire film, he has to carry it and does with the best performance of his career hands-down. Smith portrays perfectly a man dealing with aloneness, guilt, and grief through his day-to-day struggle to survive. He does it with some help from director Francis Lawrence, who oversees a desolate Times Square and an empty New York City that looks AWESOME. One major negative here is the dark seekers, who are all CGI and look pretty bad. They scare you because they're loud as hell basically. Even though they don't look good, this movie gave me the chills with suspense lurking around every corner.

Bottom line: This is a blockbuster done right. Smith carries the movie with help from a dog, some awesome visuals, and...well, I won't spoil the ending. To me, it's not a typical Hollywood ending, and it's the best way by far to end the story. Go see this movie.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: I Am Legend

One of the greatest movies I've seen in a long time...
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston View Post
    One of the greatest movies I've seen in a long time...
    Surely you jest.

MLB ERA

You guys must have bad taste or something. I was went in thinking it would be a good movie because just about if not all of his movies are good but this one wasn't so great. Their wasn't much to the movie and it was really boring.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    You guys must have bad taste or something.
    I didn't realize expressing my opinion was bad taste, especially when the majority of critics agree with me.

MLB ERA

Matter of opinion. Maybe I should be critic.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AAA ERA

Browntown, I'm with you on everything but closure. The ending is horrible. ESPN writer Bill Simmons made me laugh recently in his article. During his playoff picks he gave out some fake awards. One being The "I Am Legend" Award for "Best story that completely fell apart with no real warning" which is exactly what happened.

I was really into the movie the whole time, and then it was like "Oh sh*t we're almost out of film. Lets abruptly end this."

MLB ERA

I saw that yesterday and I laughed as well actually...on second thought I agree with you, it did end way too quickly. It's bizarre because I always complain about these types of movies being too long, but this one was a bit short...still don't think it could stop the movie from being good though.