Thread: My Quest

Turn 2

My Quest

Some of you know or at least 3 of the members here know that I am going to try out for the guys Baseball team at my highschool come next spring. I attend a smaller co-ed private school in my area and our school does not unfortunetly have a softball team. I will be a Senior this upcoming year and haven't played organized Softball or Baseball for several years. So I have been hitting the batting cages in hopes to help my hitting out. My fielding and glove work is no problem as I think I have much better instincts then most of the guys on the team already. The thing is my hitting. I know I am not going to be as strong as all the guys on the team , but I don't want to be overmatched. So my quest was set out earlier this summer and at first it was not looking very good at all as I couldn't make contact hardly at all. The 2nd time hitting the cages it improved somewhat, but it was still lacking. So then my third time there I took one of my older brothers and he adjusted my stance and my stride and suddenly I was making much better contact. I still don't have much power at all, but oh well. I am writing this to see if anyone has any more tips on what I coould do to help out my hitting a bit? I need as much advice as I can get. I have not played organized Baseball for a longtime and I really haven't played organized Softball for a few years.

BTW, I play 2B

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Re: My Quest

cant give ya any tips as my expertise level is the equivalent of neifi perez when compared to bonds.

but anyways, good luck!
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

i stopped playing for like 10 years, and then came back to the game like a year, year and a half ago... my fielding is actually 10 times worse than it was at 3rd base, but my hitting is tremendously improved. i just tried to keep my stance open, see the ball longer and clearer. i pull my front, strength arm (in my case the left arm, because im a righty) as far back as it will go, and keep the guide arm nice and loose... elbow up of course anyway though. then i more or less swing one handed... the right hand is still on it of course, but its the guide hand... just use the right arm to aim the barrel of the bat for the ball... the left arm is doing all the dirty work, and as i get far enough to break my wrists, i always tend to let go right handed... that really generates all my power. of course, you take a more defensive swing with two strikes. good contact is just about a good eye really... just see the ball well, identify the pitch well. i like the open stance, it lets me take a longer stride, and it lets me dictate where to step according to the pitch. if they jam me inside, i just step right back down in the spot i initially was, and if they pitch me outside i can still step straight towards the pitcher and get to it in time to bang it out to right field. the most important thing to hitting is dont press. just go up there looking to hit the ball hard somewhere... doesnt matter where, just hit it hard somewhere, and good things will happen. be comfortable at the plate, dont be nervous, dont be scared of course, just go up there nice and easy and dont overthink... or think in general, if that helps. let the bat do the work, you dont need to overswing to generate bat power. ive never really been taught by a coach or anything, so youll have that added benefit of being able to talk to people who know the game on a daily basis to tinker with stuff.

MLB ERA

It's all about what feels natural.

Hitters are hard to stop when they a free and easy, and not contortionist style (all wound tight). Stand at a nice distance, arms back and high. If you can't do that, leave them in the middle of your body and **** back your arms when you're ready to hit...but you need to have good timing for that.

Basically, for hitting, timing and comfort are key.

Fielding, keep a low center of gravity, and make sure you are square on the ball. All you need to do is practice like nuts, keep your legs moving, and you'll improve in fielding.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Waaay to go sis! But of course, you'll never be as good as I was at 3B. Hopefully your teammates will give you all the respect you deserve. The hardest part of playing hardball with the guys for me was the mental aspect of the game. You really have to trust yourself and your ability. If you show any signs of weakness, the guys will get all over you. Don't let them treat you any different just because you're a girl (well, you know what I mean). You got the ability, go out there and show them that you're a force to be reckoned with. Show them that you are as good (or even better ) than those guys out there. Go on the ballfield and show those guys how the game is played!

Turn 2

Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement. I will keep you updated on how things go, but 1st it is soccer season for me in the fall(that is on a girls team).

Lift a little if you can