Thread: Self-aggrandizing, in a sense, but asking for criticism/opinion

Question Self-aggrandizing, in a sense, but asking for criticism/opinion

So, a while back I posted an article that I wrote for a magazine here in Chicago about smoking, asking y'all what you thought, criticisms, etc., and received no replies (and I was sad.)

I've since gotten very involved in that magazine, doing editing, news, marketing, etc. We just published a poetry-commentary duet on Obama's Nobel Prize that I found particularly amusing.

I will once again ask you all about what you think of said website, and if it seems like I'm wasting my time on a fruitless effort; hopefully, someone might chime in.

Also, we have a Wiki now (I think).
    Last edited by General; 10-26-2009 at 02:44 AM.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Self-aggrandizing, in a sense, but asking for criticism/opinion

While I don't find anything romantic about polluting your own lungs (and as jackson pointed out, the lies of tobacco companies are far worse) I do agree that it's a travesty that the government has taxed the hell out of a pack of cigarettes, as though you can name a price on addiction. As for prohibitions of smoking in public places, I don't think they are necessary but if you smoke you do have some obligation to not do it near kids who might not be aware of the dangers of secondhand smoke.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

i have to admit... i enjoy your use of random big words. i assume this magazine is for rich people that like to put their ashes out on the lower class. not that the lower class cant understand what youre writing... but you seem to come off as condescending, and throwing in big words just for the purpose of proving youre intelligent.

though maybe thats just me, i dont know.

If you're referencing "tragicomical, Dantean hegemony," that was put in by my editor. Although it is a bit grandiose in style, perhaps even over the top, that's how I was asked to write the piece, as magazine writing is very different from, say, newspaper or blog writing.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    If you're referencing "tragicomical, Dantean hegemony," that was put in by my editor. Although it is a bit grandiose in style, perhaps even over the top, that's how I was asked to write the piece, as magazine writing is very different from, say, newspaper or blog writing.
    though alot of it felt pushed, that was precisely the line that put it over the top and made me feel the need to make my post. good call sir, good call.

I did intend to take a farcical stance on the piece, which is why I did not contest that line with the editor, as I feel it added to the mock extravagance of the article.