Thread: I gota write a 2 page paper and presentation on Ted Williams in my history class!

MLB ERA

I gota write a 2 page paper and presentation on Ted Williams in my history class!

Off top of my head I know this much

- Served in the marine Corps 2 times for WWII in his prime.
    -His last AB was a homerun
    -He played in a double header durring the last day of the 1941 season, the significance is that he didn't have to play, but he did and jeapardized his shot at hitting .400

Anything else you guys can think of? I am still going to do some research on him, I just thought I'd maybe get some insight from you guys.

MLB ERA

Re: I gota write a 2 page paper and presentation on Ted Williams in my history class!

Oh man the Ted Williams bio, "Ted Williams, An American Hero," by Leigh Montville, is the 2nd best baseball bio to Walter Johnson's, written by I think his great grandson.

Read it, and you have at least 50 pages for that paper. And good shit too.

MLB ERA

Re: I gota write a 2 page paper and presentation on Ted Williams in my history class!

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    Off top of my head I know this much

- Served in the marine Corps 2 times for WWII in his prime.(korean war)
    -His last AB was a homerun
    -He played in a double header durring the last day of the 1941 season, the significance is that he didn't have to play, but he did and jeapardized his shot at hitting .400

Anything else you guys can think of? I am still going to do some research on him, I just thought I'd maybe get some insight from you guys.
    There really is a lot man, read that.

MLB ERA

Oh yea, didn't he get shot or something in the Korean War? He almost lost his leg or arm?

MLB ERA

Google.com is magical.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but asking here is way more sexy and fun.

The biography that Dry mentioned is fantastic. I picked up a copy at Borders I believe for like 8 or 9 bucks. It's cheap regardless and a must have for the fan that loves to have a reading collection of the game. If you're looking for any sort of statistical insight, I could try to see what I come up with if I have the time after class tomorrow, but the numbers are great and more importantly the story is great.

Is this a presentation over Ted Williams in general (like the life and times of Williams) or as purely a baseball player?

By the way, I had a half hour presentation to give over the hiking subculture from a marketers perspective today, so I do loathe you for having such an awesome subject to present on. It would be great if you could get any audio clips of homerun shots being called that Williams hit to open your presentation with.

MLB ERA

My presentation is only for like 2 minutes, and I would like to do a presentation on his whole life, his army years, before and after baseball and ect. Its due next monday, our Instructor told us today because its for extra and he asked every single person in class to do it. Its suppose to be on anything historical post WWI, this other dude picked Jacky Robinson, so that Inspired me to pick Ted Williams.

MLB ERA

Ted Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

basically paraphrase that and you'll be fine
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA

Actually, under the rules in place in 1941, Williams' batting average would have been rounded down to the nearest point, and he would not have hit .400 had he not played at the end of the season.

MLB ERA

Thanks guys for info.

MLB ERA

Hey guys the paper went well, and that book on his autobiography I actually own a copy of it! I was cleaning my room and saw bunch sports biographies I bought in 2004-2005 and I had Ted Williams one in it, because of the name you guys mentioned Leigh Montville looked so familiar thats what made me decide to look for it.