Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What new CDs are you looking forward to?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Optimist
    Please, try your gangsta act on somebody else.
    Because I don't want to listen to your garbage emo music, that makes me gangsta? , whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Because I don't want to listen to your garbage emo music, that makes me gangsta? , whatever.
    ...emo? Where do you get the notion that I listen to emo music?

Zack isn't involved in Audioslave...I hope I'm missing something.

Yes, I know this. And I'm sure you know that the band of Audioslave was also the band of Rage Against The Machine which was fronted by Zack, so it's relevent. Zack was to have an album come out years ago but it's yet to materialize.

MLB ERA
    I don't wanna get into the whole music debate thing...I could care less if anyone likes what I like, but some of the stuff you guys like...I just couldn't listen to. Everyone's entitled to listen to and like whatever they wanna like, but for me...I can't listen to something that the artist(s) didn't even make...a lot of the stuff out there on the radio isn't written or produced by the people playing it. I just can't listen to something if I don't respect the artist, on top of the fact that I think the majority of it sounds like crap.

Cookie cutter means that they follow a formula that has been known to get the sales. The "artist(s)" say "screw my artistic integrity, let's just do this because so and so did it and they sold records" How can you respect that? They're just trying to get a buck off you and they aren't even expressing themselves or trying to get anything across with their music.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule; you'll find a couple good bands on the radio, but for the most part it's just a package they're selling you and they don't even care about what they're doing as long as it sells. There are plenty of artists out there that are on all sort of labels both major and small that at least write their own music and work their butts off instead of hiring someone else to make something for them...

Like I said, I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything. Everyone is free to like what they want...but just because it sells, doesn't mean it's good...by that logic, because something doesn't sell, that would mean it's not good when in fact it very well could be. Many of the radio stations are owned by the same companies and so are the labels and they pay them to play stuff and you're just not going to hear some stuff on the radio because that's just the way it is...

ok, end rant/
    See, this is what I simply don't understand. You're entitled to your opinion, so i'm not trying to convince you to change it, simply stating mine. But anyways, when I decide what music I like...I listen to the music. I don't care if it's "cookie cutter" I don't care if it's "what sells" vice "their own 'musical integrity' ", I don't care if it's the only type of music in the world you'll find in that style...the bottom line and all I care about is, does the music sound good? If it does, then I like it. I don't care if the band made the music and wrote the lyrics, I don't care if the record label made the music and wrote the lyrics, I don't even care if Pee Wee Herman made the music and wrote the lyrics. If it sounds good and the band performs it well, then I'll listen to it, because that's what it's all about.

I don't choose what food I like to eat based on the cook's rituals or who wrote the recipe, I eat what I think tastes good. Likewise, I listen to what music I think sounds good, despite who wrote it and how many times the style has been used.

but...that's just me. As always anyone's entitled to their opinion, and that one's just mine. I'm not trying to argue either...simply ranting on this subject, lol. I'll end my rant with this. Have you ever stopped to think exactly why it sells? Even if there is better music under the radar, the music that's topping the charts is obviously popular to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Killah Sith
    Yes, I know this. And I'm sure you know that the band of Audioslave was also the band of Rage Against The Machine which was fronted by Zack, so it's relevent. Zack was to have an album come out years ago but it's yet to materialize.
    Ah, I see. I mis-read it the first time. Who do you like more? RATM or Audioslave?

For me it's easily Rage. I love the style that Morello plays with, and the ferocity of the vocals delivered by ZDLR. I dislike audioslave, They have a few decent songs, but I really feel there holding Morello back.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    just curious then, how do you find new music? just by listening to the radio or watching mtv (the little bit that they do play music)? and maybe what friends recommend?

I don't understand some of your reaction...I said you can like whatever you want and then the rest was my opinion and what I look for in music...and I said I don't think much of what is out there in the mainstream sounds good, to be honest I think a lot of it is crap, so I don't like it. And again, just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's good....by your reasoning racism was good back before the civil right's movement because it was "popular", or being a nazi in Germany was good because it was "popular", and so on...

And no, I'm not comparing music to racism or nazis, I'm trying to simply illustrate how just because something is "popular" doesn't necessarily mean it's "good"

MLB ERA
    I won't even touch the racism comparison. I understood fully what you meant by it, but I don't want to take the conversation there.

Anyways, I wasn't really trying to rant specifically at you, I was more using your post, which kinda countered my stance, to continue my original rant. It appears we're both agreed on the obvious point that we're all entitled to like what we want to like. I was simply bouncing off the part of your post where you annotate that you can't like the mainstream stuff because they pretty much "sell out" and they don't make their own music.

How do I find new music? Usually one of three ways

1. Friend's recomandation. (i'll probably d/l and sample some of the stuff listed here that I haven't previously heard of)
    2. Video game soundtracks. (this is real common as of late. I wouldn't know who Chronic Future, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand, The Bravery, AudioVent, Dropikick Murpheys, amongst others, were if not for video game soundtracks)
    3. And yes, the radio. I don't listen to the radio much if at all anymore, but every now and then I hear something new on it that I like and I start looking into that band.

I don't watch MTV anymore, it's worthless. As you alluded to yourself, they almost never play music on it, so there's no point to watching the crap they show on it.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    well, as I said, the main reason I don't like much of the mainsteam stuff is just because I don't think it sounds good...so I actively searched for stuff. the part about artists doing their own material was what I learned through my search. I'd find bands I liked and you look at the liner notes and you see they're doing it and then you look at a lot of the other stuff and they're not...to me that explains partly why it doesn't sound good to me. But like I said, first came "this sounds like crap to me" and then came "oh, they don't even do they're own stuff".

Ah, I see. I mis-read it the first time. Who do you like more? RATM or Audioslave?

For me it's easily Rage. I love the style that Morello plays with, and the ferocity of the vocals delivered by ZDLR. I dislike audioslave, They have a few decent songs, but I really feel there holding Morello back.

I agree with you in that it's definetely Rage. The only reason I peeped the Audioslave album was because it was 3/4 RATM. It's a good album, though I haven't listened to it all that much yet.

MLB ERA
    Don't know what I am looking forward to next.... but the last one I was looking forward to was::
    JUDAS PRIEST - Angel Of Retribution

And a pretty good comeback album it is, too

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    Don't know what I am looking forward to next.... but the last one I was looking forward to was::
    JUDAS PRIEST - Angel Of Retribution

And a pretty good comeback album it is, too
    Definitely! I haven't bought it yet. Borrowed someone's and will definitely be purchasing that in the very near future. I wonder how the DVD is that comes with certain copies.

Rookie ERA
    It's back!!

MLB ERA
    Thanks Ted

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Bizarre comes out tomorrow!!!

MLB ERA
    Huh?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast