Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your Christmas haul?

MLB ERA
    Why do you need so much space on a gaming console?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Received
    money
    gift cards that I used to buy socks, boxer shorts, 2 pairs of wind pants, 2 polo shirts, a pair of cargo pants, and a can of cleaner for the outside of my sneakers today
    a 5.0 mega pixel digital camera, a case, an additional 512 MB card, and a rechargeable battery kit
    a dress shirt
    a NIN t-shirt
    4 movie passes
    an A's watch
    a limited edition poster of a show I actually went to (1 of 80...they're sold at Newbury Comics here, but most are for shows all over the country...this is the only RI one I've seen...done by artists and such, very cool)
    Music for the Masses remastered CD/DVD by Depeche Mode
    limited edition 3 CD remixes 81 - 04 by Depeche Mode
    Smashing Pumpkins greatest hits CD (I don't have all of their CDs and just wanted a few of the songs)
    Trilogy DVD by The Cure
    Touring the Angel DVD by Depeche Mode
    Airwolf season 2 DVD set
    a metal cat sculpture artwork thing...you can put it on your lawn or leave it inside
    cases for GBA games, a gel skin for my micro, and a deposit to reserve final fantasy VI advance
    some chocolates
    a gift card to Papa Gino's, Dunkin Donuts, and a gift certificate to a restaurant

some of the received stuff I purchased today with part of the money I received.

Given
    a diamond necklace
    x-files DVD season 6 set
    northern exposure DVD season 5 set
    3 stooges DVD collectible set
    3 Yankee Candle gift sets
    2 restaurant gift certificates
    2 bags of Lindt truffles
    a tin of Lindt hot cocoa
    a dalmatian Christmas ornament
    a Celtics championship banner
    a wine tote with wine glasses and a cork screw
    a travel case to hold neck ties
    a hello kitty book
    a home depot gift card
    a mini vacuum
    a Lenox Rudolph the red nosed reindeer treasure box
    a U2 videos DVD
    a Rudolph puzzle

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Supposedly (I wouldn't know since I have yet to get a game for the system, although I might rent or buy Fight Night), developers plan to utilize the hard drive so that you save large portions of the game to the drive (at least while you're playing it) to reduce load times. And I imagine they'll be doing what Microsoft is doing with have downloadable rental movies, demos, shows, etc. And then I guess if you wanted to load up all of your personal digital media (why to a video game system and not a computer is confusing, but ok.)

As for the really large hard drive, there are a few illegal measures some believe you can go through with ripping games to the drive. But I don't know if that was just idle chatter before the launch or something that is possible.

I don't see the huge need really, other than if load times are cut by a ton.

Prov likes Depeche Mode? Did not know that.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    yea General...I don't have all of their albums (don't want them all), but I have a lot of them. I have Some Great Reward, Black Celebration (I'll be getting the remastered one when it comes out), Music for the Masses remastered, Violator remastered, Songs of Faith and Devotion, Playing the Angel, The Best of CD/DVD, the 3 CD remix set, Touring the Angel DVD, and 86 - 98 videos + 2 DVD set. Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, and Violator are the best IMHO and influential to a lot of other bands I like. I like a few other bands that started around then, too like The Cure and Joy Division / New Order.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    As for the really large hard drive, there are a few illegal measures some believe you can go through with ripping games to the drive. But I don't know if that was just idle chatter before the launch or something that is possible.
    Yeah, I understand it from that point of view, but that's from pirating consumer's standpoint. From the manufacturer's point of view, I can't quite understand why so much room would even be a consideration, much less an option.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I don't see the huge need really, other than if load times are cut by a ton.
    Is there an option when you fire up your game to do this, or is it done automatically? SImilar to some sort of Virtual memory like on a PC. It's not true memory, but behaves, at least to some extent as if it were RAM.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    a Celtics championship banner
    Wow, how old is that!?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    Wow, how old is that!?

not very...they're new. 100% wool. They make them for many teams. It has the team logo and all the years they won championships. I bought that, among other things, for my Dad. Here is a pic:

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    Yeah, I understand it from that point of view, but that's from pirating consumer's standpoint. From the manufacturer's point of view, I can't quite understand why so much room would even be a consideration, much less an option.

Is there an option when you fire up your game to do this, or is it done automatically? SImilar to some sort of Virtual memory like on a PC. It's not true memory, but behaves, at least to some extent as if it were RAM.
    I was kind of referencing the need some feel is justified by upgrading their HD even bigger, but I understand where you're coming from. The only thing I can reason is that Sony plans to have that whole movie rental system, and if they offer it in Blu-Ray quality (if they had any brains, they would as they need to pimp the hell out of it), your HD could fill up quite fast.

As for the other question, I really can't say. I'll let you know when I play a game that uses it. But so far the game I did get for the PS2, Scarface, is a whole ton of fun being Tony Montana.

MLB ERA
    Guitar Hero is ****ing Sweet.

I got I and II and both of them are as addicting as the taste of General's mother.

MLB ERA
    I got $1,000 in cash from my dad, along with a couple other things such as Paul Daugherty's best columns in "Fair Game," a few Bengals posters, etc.

From my mom and the rest of the family, I got the latest Simpsons DVD (I have all nine now), a shiatsu/rolling massage chair (pretty nice!), a new King Island (amusment park) Season Pass for next season, along with a bunch of clothes and a few hundred more $$, to go with some other smaller type things for the most part.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Madden 07 PS2
    Bengals pullover jacket
    128mb nVidia video card
    256mb RAM chip
    Signed Michael Jordan picture

Will eventually get NCAA Football '07 for PS2 with Christmas money coming to me (from other relatives we didn't get with over Christmas)
    rf28

So I went and spent my Christmas money and here's what I got:

Die Hard Trilogy box set

Arrested Development, season 1

That 70s Show, season 1

That 70s Show, season 2

A badass wool jacket.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    I am late

Nintendo Wii!!!!
    games: Madden
    Zelda
    Trauma Center

Gifts that I gave

250$ gift cards(various stores) to my sister

golf bag for my mom

DDR (X2)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    1) 1985 Porsche 944
    2) 37" LCD TV
    3) Wii (mainly for the kids, but for Daddy too )

And to top it all off..... lost the reverse gear in my main car last night... so driving around without reverse.,.... and the Porsche needs 2 repairs before she can be tagged... ugh

LOL, I love my Wii. Best game console to date

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast