Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roommate Etiquette Question

Roommate Etiquette Question

OK, I have a roommate in college. My best friend pretty much (with many flaws, but it doesn't matter), we get along mostly, etc.

However, I have a question in terms of roommate treatment and such. Is it rude or acceptable for a person to have long cell phone conversations (1+ hours) in the room with the roommate there, or would it be better for the talker to find a public place, as not to disrupt the other person? Just out of curiosity, I'm not upset enough by it to complain to him, but I wonder if my feelings are justified or not on the issue?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Do you mean in the same room in the apartment? Or in the apartment in general?

The former I can see as a bit rude, depending on how loud he talks on the phone.

In the other case, however, I actually find it kind of rude to expect your roomate to leave the place to converse on the phone...
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Depends who he's talking to. If he's chatting with a hot chick, then there's nothing that should stop him. However if it's just random BS with a non-hot chick or not with a chick at all, then he should get the **** out of the room for all phone calls longer than 10 minutes.

MLB ERA
    What if it is a pseudo-chick that he thinks is a hot chick... is it OK for him to stay there talking to that (assuming he's not singing the theme to 'The Crying Game' to "her").... Or what if he's got vision problems (iron filings got in there during welding class and his vision is playing tricks on him) and the one he thinks is a MILF is actually a MIWFWDKD (Mom I wouldn't F--- with DK's D---)??? There are lots of variables to the chick scenarios

Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    OK, I have a roommate in college. My best friend pretty much (with many flaws, but it doesn't matter), we get along mostly, etc.

However, I have a question in terms of roommate treatment and such. Is it rude or acceptable for a person to have long cell phone conversations (1+ hours) in the room with the roommate there, or would it be better for the talker to find a public place, as not to disrupt the other person? Just out of curiosity, I'm not upset enough by it to complain to him, but I wonder if my feelings are justified or not on the issue?
    I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I think that's perfectly fine. So no, you aren't justified.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    What if it is a pseudo-chick that he thinks is a hot chick... is it OK for him to stay there talking to that (assuming he's not singing the theme to 'The Crying Game' to "her")
    New rule in that case:
    Hot chick status must be approved by the roommate (i.e. waruv)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    And one more rule:
    If hot chick status approval is not feasible, then any phone conversation with a hot chick must include dirty talk.

MLB ERA
    Way back when, in my first year of college, I was in an on-campus dorm. That being a one-room living quarter with two beds, two dressers, two desks, two closets and two chairs. Anything else we had to bring ourselves, and it wasn't big. Of course, back then, we didn't have cell phones (in fact the phone in our room was a rotary ... something some of you kids have probably never seen). Thankfully, my roommate had no social life so the phone never rang for him and his highschool best friend roomed right across the hall.

That has nothing to do with anything, but I thought I'd bring it up, because if we had ever had an issue with long-ass phone calls, It wouldn't have been a possibility to leave the room.

Fisher, I'm curious if you are in a situation like that, or if this is a semi-normal apartment setting with multiple rooms. If it's an apartment, then the guy should leave the room to another room. If you have only one room as in my old situation, if it's a cell phone, regardless of who he is talking to, if it is longer than a 10 minute conversation, he should go out into the hall or to a public gathering area (such as where they have chairs, couches, etc).

If you guys get along as well as you make it sound, it shouldn't be an issue to politely ask that if you are studying that he leave the area during lengthy phone calls and whileyou are at it, offer to do the same (at least that way, it makes it look like you aren't just thinking of you).

MLB ERA
    I'll have you know I own a rotary phone.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Place their cell in the toilet.
    Proceed to laugh in your own little corner.

Hasta be a devious laugh, though.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    You're an undergrad, so I'll assume you bunk with your roomie. In that case, tell him to get the **** out. Talking on the phone where you share a room for an hour is just him being a dick.

My cell doesn't work in my room. I have to talk in the parking lot, so the only ones hearing my conversations are deer.

Leo: It's an undergrad dorm, meaning that we're in the same 12x12 room essentially.

DK: I don't know if he's ever spoken to a girl who isn't related for more than ten minutes. Ever.

Lynch: Same exact situation as your undergrad situation. It's only a cell-phone. FWIW, there's a lounge about ten feet away.

KoZ: May do

Saber: Thanks
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    I find it pretty disruptive when someone that I know is talking on the phone while I'm doing something especially when I'm watching television. It gets on my nerves.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Leo: It's an undergrad dorm, meaning that we're in the same 12x12 room essentially.
    In that case I think he should go outside the room.

I lived in a similar type place when I was in A-school (Navy) and had to share the one-room place with a roomate.

Whenever I got a phone call (on my cordless regular phone) I always took it right outside the room if I knew it was going to last awhile and my roomate was home.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

C you there
    MLB ERA
    Yeah I agree with leo, Single room like that, it would be curtious to have the call out of the room if it's going to be like that, I personaly would go out of the room no matter how long or short the call was lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast