Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566
Results 976 to 988 of 988

Thread: The grinds my gears thread

  1. #976

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    The fact that there is more time after one egregious error than the other doesn’t make the latter more egregious. That’s the entirety of my argument.
    I thought your argument was impact on the game and outcome, not severity of error.


    2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

  2. #977
    Administrator HollywoodLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    33,317
    MLB ERA
    3.97

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I thought your argument was impact on the game and outcome, not severity of error.
    It is.

    The amount of time left after the error doesn't negate the error's impact.

    The 4 points the Rams could have gotten shifted the entire complexity of the game.

    To deny that is foolish.

    Your argument was the Rams had more time to recover. Sure, but they wouldn't have to recover if errors weren't made.

    One error isn't any more or less egregious than the other and both had similar impacts.

    To say one play determined the game is dumb when multiple plays happened to create that moment to begin with...to include other referee errors.
    Last edited by HollywoodLeo; 02-12-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

  3. #978
    MVP dgfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    N.C.,USA
    Posts
    924
    Rookie ERA
    9.15

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    The big thing is probably the thought of being able to overcome an earlier blown call... not so much the late ones.
    MSL Athletics GM- 2065+

    HOFF Athletics GM- 1978+
    VAV Phillies GM- 1985+

    VAV Hornets GM- 1993/94+
    (95/96 Champions)

  4. #979

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    It is.

    The amount of time left after the error doesn't negate the error's impact.
    Except it does.
    The 4 points the Rams could have gotten shifted the entire complexity of the game.

    To deny that is foolish.
    It could have and probably even did. We'll never know how. Maybe the Saints turtle up and it's not close. Maybe they come out guns blazing and are up by 10 points late. There are a wide range of outcomes. That's not the case on the PI non-call.

    Your argument was the Rams had more time to recover. Sure, but they wouldn't have to recover if errors weren't made.
    Same with the Saints.

    One error isn't any more or less egregious than the other and both had similar impacts.
    That's not true because one is much or of an outcome altering error.

    To say one play determined the game is dumb when multiple plays happened to create that moment to begin with...to include other referee errors.
    No one play determines a game in a vacuum, but the timing of things matters. If it didn't we wouldn't have WPA, or LI, or hell, even closers because a 1 run lead in the 6th is the same as a 1 run lead in the 9th based on what you're saying.

    Timing matters. If you need to be at a destination in 30 minutes, go the wrong way for 30 minutes, and need to recover you can't. If you need to be at a destination in 90 minutes, go the wrong way for 30 minutes, and need to recover, you can.

    Just like your chances of coming back from a 1 run deficit is different in the 6th inning than the 9th. That's not opinion, that's just simple math and understanding of probability.


    2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

  5. #980
    Administrator HollywoodLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    33,317
    MLB ERA
    3.97

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    When I was a younger adult, in my early 20s, spending a bulk of your free time on the internet was taboo and you'd be labeled a loser with little no life if you admitted to it. Yet when I spent a lot of my time on the internet activity was so high that I could barely keep up with it. If I went to any of my regular message boards simply refreshing the page would reveal tons of new posts (not just this one, but all of the ones I've frequented). I could relax at home and have almost endless online banter with random people over stupid shit.

    But now, when it's practically become taboo to not have an online presence and a social media account everything constantly seems dead...even aforementioned social media platforms. It seemingly takes an hour or two for anything new to come in at any medium.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

  6. #981

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    When I was a younger adult, in my early 20s, spending a bulk of your free time on the internet was taboo and you'd be labeled a loser with little no life if you admitted to it. Yet when I spent a lot of my time on the internet activity was so high that I could barely keep up with it. If I went to any of my regular message boards simply refreshing the page would reveal tons of new posts (not just this one, but all of the ones I've frequented). I could relax at home and have almost endless online banter with random people over stupid shit.

    But now, when it's practically become taboo to not have an online presence and a social media account everything constantly seems dead...even aforementioned social media platforms. It seemingly takes an hour or two for anything new to come in at any medium.
    I was actually thinking about this in a slightly similar way the last few weeks. I don't spend as much time online anymore. I also just generally don't find the social media platforms that interesting/thought provoking. As a result I spend more time doing things offline. I work more, read more, go for walks, listen to music, etc. It has hurt a lot of friendships because I haven't been online. I've gone from being on the outside due to one thing to being on the outside due to another.


    2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

  7. #982
    Administrator HollywoodLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    33,317
    MLB ERA
    3.97

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    Republicans in 1996: Did you see what Bill Clinton did with that intern?!
    Democrats in 1996: I don't care what the President does with his own time!

    Democrats in 2016: Did you see what Trump said about women?!
    Republicans in 2016: I don't care what the President does in his own time!

    Republicans in 2019: Do you see how many women Joe Biden has fondled?!


    I anxiously await the response from the democrats.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

  8. #983
    Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,478
    MLB ERA
    2.63
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Republicans in 1996: Did you see what Bill Clinton did with that intern?!
    Democrats in 1996: I don't care what the President does with his own time!

    Democrats in 2016: Did you see what Trump said about women?!
    Republicans in 2016: I don't care what the President does in his own time!

    Republicans in 2019: Do you see how many women Joe Biden has fondled?!


    I anxiously await the response from the democrats.
    Why do you dislike homers?

  9. #984
    Administrator HollywoodLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    33,317
    MLB ERA
    3.97

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    People who scoff at a tv show and claim it's not really funny because it has a laugh track, typically complete with links to YouTube videos of said show with the laugh track removed.

    Caring about a laugh track is like caring about whether or not a band writes their own music. Sure, you can applaud the artistic authenticity more if it's not there and still good, but if at the end of the day the song/show is entertaining who gives a shit?

    And it's not as simple as "well, it's not really funny, you only think it is because you have a laugh track that tells you when to laugh."

    If it were that simple I'd literally love every sitcom in the world.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

  10. #985
    Administrator HollywoodLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    33,317
    MLB ERA
    3.97

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    Came here to rant about the laugh track thing but in response to my last post in here, my favorite response I've seen thus far is "so what? He's (Biden) not as bad as Trump"
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

  11. #986
    Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,478
    MLB ERA
    2.63
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    I saw the other day that Fox News had Dr. Neal Elattrache join in as a guest panelist on coronavirus, and I was like... WTF? Is he there to propose a way to replace your ACE2 receptors with healthy enzymes harvested from another part of your body?
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 05-08-2020 at 02:38 AM.

  12. #987
    Administrator HollywoodLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    33,317
    MLB ERA
    3.97

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    Let me go on my rant about people complaining about remakes and reboots and Hollywood "running out of ideas" and "no longer having anything new".

    Newsflash: Just about every movie ever made was either a remake, reboot, or sourced from other material (books, comic books, games, whatever). Movies are typically not about telling a new story. They're more about presenting an already known story in a visual interpretation. Also, we've been retelling the same story in multiple different ways for eons, since long before movies were even a thing. Just look at basically every classic fairy tale.

    The funny irony here is that the FB post that spawned this rant was a friend complaining about this. Then when one of his friends asked him what made him rant about it he said it was that he heard there's a Scarface remake set to come out and that triggered it.

    I asked him if he was partial to the 1932 original or the 1983 remake with Al Pacino.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

  13. #988
    Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,478
    MLB ERA
    2.63
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: The grinds my gears thread

    What a maroon. In the ending of the 1983 film, it even said the film was dedicated to Howard Hawks and Ben Hecht of the original screenplay.

Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •