Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: The grinds my gears thread

MLB ERA

Re: The grinds my gears thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    That's why I called it an unintended porpoise. I know what you're bitching about, and I'm taking it a step further than that, but I've covered that. Call it going off topic, or evolving the topic or whatever.

The dog didn't die, fwiw.
    If it's unintended can you really label it a "purpose" of the sharing the story?

This discussion between the two of us is sure to bore most of the people who log on shortly and see a bunch of new posts that is mostly comprised of this discussion, but it is not the purpose of either of us to bore them. That's just something that happens alongside it.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Punching your boss in the face is a much closer comparison because, like killing a dog while on duty as a cop, it's an action that you don't need added scrutiny to know not to do and an action that if somebody is going to take it no amount of company-time-wasting-meeting telling people not to do it is going to prevent them from doing so.

It's also much closer in terms of morals and consequences of the actions. (Dog killing is obviously worse, but the comparison is which is closer between that and the net surfing)
    I don't think so because you know your boss, it's a familiar situation each and every day. This cop seemingly had never been to that area and was playing things by ear.

The dog shooting is being argued as justified whereas I don't think you could find a situation where punching your boss is justified save if your boss was attacking you, but then that changes that situation too.

The officer clearly did not know to not shoot the dog though, and the precinct seemingly is even backing him up. If there's enough pressure and displeasure with the situation that the policy changes to a non lethal weapon being used, then that's a tangible change as opposed to just a lecture that may go in one ear and out the other.

Shooting the dog wasn't illegal, but punching your boss is battery and assault, both illegal things.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

MLB ERA

Are we arguing?
    By the way, I meant that in the literal semantic sense.

More specifically, #2 in the dictionary.com definition of "argument"
    a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.
    ...not the connotation that people generally give that word envisioning people screaming and yelling at each other irrationally.

If it's unintended can you really label it a "purpose" of the sharing the story?

This discussion between the two of us is sure to bore most of the people who log on shortly and see a bunch of new posts that is mostly comprised of this discussion, but it is not the purpose of either of us to bore them. That's just something that happens alongside it.
    I dunno, can one have an unintended porpoise? Nevertheless there is something that can come out of the story aside from just the usual cop bashing stuff. Which in my opinion makes it worthwhile in this case.

MLB ERA

I don't think so because you know your boss, it's a familiar situation each and every day.
    Fine. Change "boss" to "customer" then. I don't think familiarity matters much to my point.

I'm done talking about the rest of this, though, because regardless of what can or cannot come of the story itself going viral my main argument for the theme of this thread was the intent of those making it go viral.

By the way, I meant that in the literal semantic sense.

More specifically, #2 in the dictionary.com definition of "argument"

...not the connotation that people generally give that word envisioning people screaming and yelling at each other irrationally.
    No, I know that, I wasn't sure if we definitely had differing viewpoints. I'm not even sure if we still do. I presume mine is this specific story has some use to it. And I'm not sure what you're saying is that this story has no use.

Fine. Change "boss" to "customer" then. I don't think familiarity matters much to my point.

I'm done talking about the rest of this, though, because regardless of what can or cannot come of the story itself going viral my main argument for the theme of this thread was the intent of those making it go viral.
    If that's the case I don't think your point completely was related to mine. Assaulting a customer is still illegal too.

MLB ERA

No, I know that, I wasn't sure if we definitely had differing viewpoints. I'm not even sure if we still do. I presume mine is this specific story has some use to it. And I'm not sure what you're saying is that this story has no use.
    I'm just griping at the mindset of someone who looks up (or is told of) some story on the other side of the country that has no bearing on his/her life at all and rushes to facebook to complain about this asshole while attaching not-so-subtle assertions that this is yet another example of how all cops are assholes.

Hell, most articles reporting this situation are making sure to start the headline with "Another cop...." making sure the reader is aware that this is some kind of trend.

I'm just griping at the mindset of someone who looks up (or is told of) some story on the other side of the country that has no bearing on his/her life at all and rushes to facebook to complain about this asshole while attaching not-so-subtle assertions that this is yet another example of how all cops are assholes.

Hell, most articles reporting this situation are making sure to start the headline with "Another cop...." making sure the reader is aware that this is some kind of trend.
    See, I'm half and half on that. Bringing attention to the story no matter where they are is fine by me. Anything anyone does, cop or otherwise that is unsavory should be brought to attention. Cops aren't infallible either (nor am I saying you are saying that, I'm just saying they're not above reproach) so any bad thing any one does that someone disagrees with should be called out. Painting it as all cops and as you said another though I'm not keen on.

MLB ERA

See, I'm half and half on that. Bringing attention to the story no matter where they are is fine by me. Anything anyone does, cop or otherwise that is unsavory should be brought to attention. Cops aren't infallible either (nor am I saying you are saying that, I'm just saying they're not above reproach) so any bad thing any one does that someone disagrees with should be called out. Painting it as all cops and as you said another though I'm not keen on.
    But the problem is most people who read these stories aren't seeing it for the individual abusing his/her power that it is. They're seeing it as another glaring example of why all cops are pigs.

Sharing the stories only helps perpetuate this notion that we shouldn't trust cops because, well you log onto facebook every day and you're bombarded with stories of cops tasering people and shooting dogs.

How often do you log onto facebook and read about how Joe Cop performed his daily routine the way he should have, maybe caught a perp and arrested him, and went home without incident? Obviously that's not news, but that doesn't remove the fact that public perception of cops are skewed by the fact that we read/hear/see so many stories of the bad ones.

But the problem is most people who read these stories aren't seeing it for the individual abusing his/her power that it is. They're seeing it as another glaring example of why all cops are pigs.

Sharing the stories only helps perpetuate this notion that we shouldn't trust cops because, well you log onto facebook every day and you're bombarded with stories of cops tasering people and shooting dogs.

How often do you log onto facebook and read about how Joe Cop performed his daily routine the way he should have, maybe caught a perp and arrested him, and went home without incident? Obviously that's not news, but that doesn't remove the fact that public perception of cops are skewed by the fact that we read/hear/see so many stories of the bad ones.
    Sure, but what's the likelihood that we get anyone to change the story? Very low since that's obviously not their goal. So the only options are to have them posted or not posted. Because of the (admittedly smaller) stories that have some merit and because we have no choice (alas, we don't even have a choice in preventing them from being made anyway) to selectively enforce things, I don't mind the "bad" with the "good".

Sharing the stories doesn't only accomplish perpetuating notions, it may accomplish more than that, even if it's not the goal.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I was wondering why there were 50 something new posts, but only 5 threads...now I know...and knowing is half the battle.
    Last edited by Providence A's; 06-14-2014 at 10:35 PM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'd like to moderate random topics for Leo and Mach to debate. Hmm.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Anyone remember when General tried doing around the horn and PTI stuff on here? I'm pretty sure Leo could be Tony Kornheiser and Mach can be, well since Wilbon is cool, Mach can be Le Betard. Yep this is going to happen. I need to ponder some good questions. Stay tuned.
    Ted

Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast