Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever have a bat in your house?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Ever have a bat in your house?

no, not a baseball bat...a regular bat. Well, today I encountered the 2nd bat since I've lived in this house...2 bats in 6 years. I got out of the shower and see my cat in the hallway looking at the mini-blinds in window screaming his head off. He's always finding stuff like his lost toy mice, little bugs, etc. so I figured something was there. I look at the blinds and see what turned out to be the leg of a bat and I thought it was a bug. I looked to the left and saw more of it as it was behind the blinds, but in front of the window.

It was sleeping, but I was afraid to move the blinds to open the window from the top because I thought it would wake up and go crazy. The first bat we found went ballistic flying around like crazy around the house. These little ****ers can have rabies, too. We had to kill the first one. I closed all the doors and put the 2 cats in a room while we tried to get it out. We were able to get it out the window without it going crazy...I think it was still half asleep or something. It fell onto the window sill and didn't get up right away, but it was hissing and shit like crazy...we were able to pick it up with something and throw it out the window.

I have no clue where it came from, but they're like rats and it must have crawled through something I guess Anyone else ever have a bat in the house?

AAA ERA
    I have a couple of baseball bats in my house and a few Batman DVD's. But no real bats lol. Thats crazy!
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    We had them in our patio before but not the house. Reminds me of this show I saw the other night called Massive Nature on Animal Planet. In Texas they focused on a cave of bats that were 20 millon strong. It was truly an amazing story.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    I find myself constantly looking around with the expectation that I'll find another bat now

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by riverdunesrat
    We had them in our patio before but not the house. Reminds me of this show I saw the other night called Massive Nature on Animal Planet. In Texas they focused on a cave of bats that were 20 millon strong. It was truly an amazing story.
    Here in Austin, there's a bridge downtown that houses about a million bats or so. Every sundown you can go watch them flock out into the sky. But of course you ought to bring an umbrella with you. You should know why.

Rookie ERA
    Have had a few in my lifetime. Played Federer with the last one.

Use to have them all the time at a house I lived in as a kid. I never had to mess with them though.

MLB ERA
    I've got a couple of bat stories that I'll tell tomorrow as I don't have the time or energy to get into any of them right now.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I find myself constantly looking around with the expectation that I'll find another bat now
    You will for a while

MLB ERA
    I would move if I found a bat in my house. When I was in Iraq, we had bats living in a room in our aircraft shelter.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

No, not quite.. Check the attic though, that's usually where they come in. You might have wire-type grates for a fan, they can often chew through it.

MLB ERA
    wire-type grates? fan? you must be assuming the house is relatively new...it's over 100 years old

what we do have are eaves apparently where they could crawl in from outside, but it didn't come through the attic because no one goes up there...you need a ladder to get in there. There is a huge walk-in closet though and it most likely came in after I went in there to get something. oh well...I hope more don't come.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    wire-type grates? fan? you must be assuming the house is relatively new...it's over 100 years old
    Dude, there's your problem. You live in a Munsters house bro. But yeah, more than likely they are coming in through the attic whether you know it or not. Call an exterminator for an assessment. I always knew you were crazy but now you have confirmed it......you have bats in your belfrey.....
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA

what we do have are eaves apparently where they could crawl in from outside, but it didn't come through the attic because no one goes up there...you need a ladder to get in there. There is a huge walk-in closet though and it most likely came in after I went in there to get something. oh well...I hope more don't come.
    100 years old? Wow.

You might also want to get the piping system checked. You dont want to be drinking lead.

MLB ERA
    the plumbing is fine and is not the original plumbing...yes, it's old and it's a huge house. The area I live in is a historic part of Providence...it's on the historical list and any changes made to the house need to be approved by them and blah blah...I'm not too concerned about the bat issue as the one on Saturday is the first one in 6 years...the 1st one happened within the 1st week we moved in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast