Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: CD I recommend

MLB ERA
    mu·si·cian Audio pronunciation of "musician" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (my-zshn)
    n.

One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.

you like that one better.. specific to instrumental???

Not restricted to... but it does not make a phone operator a vocalist.... not every person who speaks is a vocalist, which would classify them as a musician either

or this one??

2: artist who composes or conducts music as a profession

It does not make the replaying of a recorded piece of music, creating music.... much then as a result of that it does not make the person replaying recorded music a MUSICIAN

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer

That qualifies rap. Whether you can stand to listen to a black man talking over THE ACTUAL MUSIC about *****es and hoes, has no validity toward the argument. Your point is null and void.
    Your bringing the race card in does not validate your argument...

the fact is that my argument is not based on preference...

I deteste Country, Ragtime, and even tribal music created by the tribes of the rainforests in Brazil... it does not mean that they are not musicians when people create and play that music

YOUR point is null and void

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Rap sucks, end of thread!

i have no problem debating with Dave, even though our opinions obviously differ... because atleast he tries to validate his point of view, unlike this tool:

Quote Originally Posted by voodoomon1jd
    Rap sucks, end of thread!
    you're a close-minded idiot, and i'd like to hit you over the head with a snow shovel. bye

Actually a lot of rappers, probably most, are not true musicians. Just because someone can sing doesn't make them a musician, and rapping is a different form of vocalizing. Dave is also correct in that simply replaying a beat is not creating music, that goes to the person(s) who created it in the first place. I could do that and I know nothing about playing any instrument. Where he is wrong is his belief that it's not music, especially samples, it's still music but it's not always the music of the people presenting it. And why some of you keep telling him to check this band out or check that band out is beyond me. He doesn't like rap music and he isn't going to like rap music, that's not his thing, so trying to convince him otherwise is pointless.

Now I do consider most HipHop DJ's to be musicians, even those who use samples. For the record and it's something I feel is misunderstood, sampling doesn't mean that a DJ simply took a beat and used it. Sampling, when done correctly, is a true artform and can use tidbits of songs and make original music. But most of the top DJ's and rap producers have to know how to make music in the first place in order to do what they do. Rza, Dre, Premier, they all are musicians. And I'll say it again, I think a lot of people would be surprised how much of the rap music is played off live instruments. Especially the old school stuff before sampling was invented and the new stuff where it costs a bundle for a sample. But in the end it's all music whether it be completely original, samples, or a complete rip off. Though I don't hear too many complain when they get that check. Everyone has different tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Killah Sith
    For the record and it's something I feel is misunderstood, sampling doesn't mean that a DJ simply took a beat and used it. Sampling, when done correctly, is a true artform and can use tidbits of songs and make original music.
    thats exactly what i was trying to explain. while there are plenty of mainstream artists who shamelessly sample classics and don't even try to put their own spin on it, they are out-numbered by the amount of truly skilled dj's and hip hop artists who make their own beats using modified samples and hundreds of other subtle effects. its no easy task.

i only suggested The Roots to Dave because he said he might appreciate rap artists more if they played their own music, and The Roots are the most prominent rap group that fits that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    mu·si·cian Audio pronunciation of "musician" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (my-zshn)
    n.

One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.

you like that one better.. specific to instrumental???

Not restricted to... but it does not make a phone operator a vocalist.... not every person who speaks is a vocalist, which would classify them as a musician either

or this one??

2: artist who composes or conducts music as a profession
    There you go. You don't think some hip hop artists compose music? Its not like they take the entire instrumental track and just slap vocals on it, they piece it together, or compose it in other words.

Funny how the American Music Association recognizes rap, isn't it?

For the record, I'm not a fan of 99% of rap, but I respect certain artists for their musical ability.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDawkins
    for the record, i shouldn't be labeled as a "rap" fan... i have a broad taste of music including rock, punk, hardcore, metal, rap, funk and jazz... as well as playing bass and drums... my opinion and argument is not the "defense of a rap supporter"

however, your opinion seems to be that of someone stuck in the era of 80s glam rock. just give it up.
    There will be NO dissing the 80s in this thread, but yeah.. I love rap, of course it is music.. duh.

No rap is pure shit. It's not music; it's talking about how your game is the sh!t over some beat thats been used 20,000 times already.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

you people drive me nuts with your thick headedness. try turning off MTV, putting down your remote, getting onto the internet and looking up artists like nas, talib kweli, the roots, gift of gab or common if you have such a problem with the content or delivery of mainstream rap.

and if you're too lazy to do that, fine. im not trying to change anyones TASTES in music here. but quit the "rap isnt music cause def leppard is better!!!11" act, cause that loses credibility after you pass the age of 8

i mean, the only genre of music i really dislike is country music. but im not gonna go into a thread that recommends country cd's and say "COUNTRY MUSIC SUX CAUSE I H8 BANJOS." its just ignorant.

MLB ERA
    I don't mind Country.. is Johnny Cash country? He was like a Rock/Country hybrid, but he is one of my favorite artists of all time.. Johnny Cash is awesome.. Probably has more in common with 1990s gangsta rappers than modern country singers.

I agree.. I don't care if you like the music that I like, I am not here to change your opinion.. but to not recognize it as music is just plain ignorant..

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Having seen what it takes to make a beat in person with a keyboard at that (i believe thats an instrument that has uses midi files to put stuff together. Thats not an easy task by any means of the imagination.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    In the Response to General's General Rap is nothing but rappers talking about "da game " all the time...

Verse 2- Nas in Just a moment

Yeah, and can we have another moment of silence?
    For brothers who died from black-on-black violence
    From here to the Dark Continent were rebels sell diamonds
    To clients allover the world, got little Black girls dyin'
    And can we please pour some more liquors?
    For Will, Bokeem, Bar, Pappy -- my niggaz
    Here's another Warrior Song from Nasty and Quan
    It's to him I pass the baton to carry this on
    Street's Disciple, salute to those who's gone with bullets
    And I promise through rhymin' Quan gon' rep his life to the fullest
    And can we please have a moment of truth?
    For soldiers and troops away with helmets and boots
    And families back home who pray they make it home safe
    Hopin' that they don't get hit with a stray or missiles
    This is just a moment to let you all know that we miss you
    Mommy I'm still here, wishin' I was there with you
    Let's take 'em home

http://lyricsdomain.com/14/nas/just_a_moment.html

Theres more where that came from too....

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I love that song.

Nas called Quan the next big thing, I think his debut album drops later in 05.
    Nas has two more scheduled releases for this year, I can't wait..

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    http://lyricsdomain.com/20/talib_kweli/get_by.html

We keeping it gangster say "fo shizzle", "fo sheezy" and "stayin crunk"
    Its easy to pull a breezy, smoke trees, and we stay drunk
    Yo, our activism attackin the system, the blacks and latins in prison
    Numbers of prison they victim black in the vision
    Shit and all they got is rappin to listen to
    I let them know we missin you, the love is unconditional
    Even when the condition is critical, when the livin is miserable
    Your position is pivotal, I ain't bullshittin you
    Now, why would I lie? Just to get by?
    Just to get by, we get fly
    The TV got us reachin for stars
    Not the ones between Venus and Mars, the ones that be readin for parts
    Some people get breast enhancements and penis enlargers
    Saturday sinners Sunday morning at the feet of the Father
    They need somethin to rely on, we get high on all types of drug
    When, all you really need is love
    To get by.. just to get by
    Just to get by, just to get by
    Our parents sing like John Lennon, "Imagine all the people watch"
    We rock like Paul McCartney from now until the last Beatle drop

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast