Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: CD I recommend

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    If the robots were self aware, creative, and cogniscient.. I'd say yes...

But since they are not.. it is a moot point
    But musicians who are paid to play somebody else's music are worth watching. Ok.

MLB ERA
    They are entertainers... for to be a musician they have to create or actually play the music...

I can agree that people find these entertainers worth watching... I do not, and will not agree that they are musicians making music

Much like wrestling is a sport.. and wrastlin' (WWE) is "sports entertainment"

music is created by the person playing it... not the person playing the sample or cd of the person who is playing it
    by that logic... as someone else already mentioned, you're suggesting mozart didn't "create" music, since other musicians were the ones executing it.

music, by definition, is simply the arrangement of sounds to create a composition or melody... how does beatmaking or sampling differ from that definition?

MLB ERA
    He was a COMPOSER... but if you remember he WAS also a musician.. or did you not pay attention in history and music class.. he WAS a violinist and a pianist, amung only 2 of the instruments he played... but he is more greatly known as one of the great musical COMPOSERS of all time

and before you say it... to compose you actually have to write the composition.. not play it back from someone else's composition

some beatmakers also play instruments, or do you automatically assume that people who prefer to create beats on a computer are too incompetent to play an instrument?

the point still remains... to create music is to arrange a series of sounds to create a melody... thats exactly what beat making is. you can disagree, but you'd be wrong.

MLB ERA
    no... I would not be "wrong"...

replaying someone else's recorded music is NOT creating music.. simple fact that rap supports refuse to accept....

as stated... playing a cd does not make me a musician....

I respect a spoon player more as a musician than I would anyone who replays someone else's sounds/songs/music and claims it to be their own music because they speak over top of it...

to create music you actually have to create it.. not replay it off a recording

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDawkins
    some beatmakers also play instruments
    I have also raced a Pinewood Derby car in Cub Scouts... it does not make me an auto racer

I can put gas in a car to fix it when it is out of gas... it does not make me a mechanic

And if I play 5 string bass (which I do)... if I play a recording of someone else playing bass, it does not make me the bass player for that song... or the musician for that song.. but I could entertain you by playing it back for you

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Nah, he's right, you are pretty wrong. Just because you personally don't like rap, doesn't make it any less music.

MLB ERA
    it does not make it any less entertainment.. it DOES NOT make it music or the rapper a musician

is your knowledge of beat making so void that you seriously think its just "re-playing a CD"? if so, then playing guitar is just "plucking some wires," i guess

and yes, you WOULD be wrong. i stated the definition of music itself, and it greatly supports my argument. everything you say is simply your convoluted opinion on what music may or may not be

MLB ERA
    replaying a sound by any means from a pre-recorded medium... does not, by definition, make me a musician or a composer or the creator of that music

MLB ERA
    www.dictionary.com

since you are fixated on the definition...

musician

n 1: someone who plays a musical instrument (as a profession)

entertainer

n : a person who tries to please or amuse

Main Entry: beatbox
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: an electronic drum machine

Notice it does not call it an instrument

gui·tar Audio pronunciation of "guitar" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g-tär)
    n.

A musical instrument having a large flat-backed sound box, a long fretted neck, and usually six strings, played by strumming or plucking.

Notice it DOES call it an instrument

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    it does not make it any less entertainment.. it DOES NOT make it music or the rapper a musician
    "The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre."

Per dictionary.com

That qualifies rap. Whether you can stand to listen to a black man talking over THE ACTUAL MUSIC about *****es and hoes, has no validity toward the argument. Your point is null and void.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    www.dictionary.com

since you are fixated on the definition...

musician

n 1: someone who plays a musical instrument (as a profession)

entertainer

n : a person who tries to please or amuse

Tremendous job picking and choosing the definition you wanted to use.

"One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music."

ESPECIALLY BUT NOT RESTRICTED TO INSTRUMENTAL.

for the record, i shouldn't be labeled as a "rap" fan... i have a broad taste of music including rock, punk, hardcore, metal, rap, funk and jazz... as well as playing bass and drums... my opinion and argument is not the "defense of a rap supporter"

however, your opinion seems to be that of someone stuck in the era of 80s glam rock. just give it up.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast