Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CD I recommend

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Diamond Dave, speaking of good music, I was in your neck of the woods at the Weinberg Center for the arts this past Monday Night, the band Ratdog put on quite a musical display. Ever heard of the place?

MLB ERA
    YES!!!...

Weinberg is on Patrick Street.. downtown by Market street.. good area....

I have been there watching plays and even (gasp) a ballet with my kids....

One of my favorite bars is right around the corner from there on Market Street

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    Diamond Dave-

Check out Jay-Z's Unplugged Album, he did that live with the Roots, all Instruments. I still wished i could catch Nas's Live to see how he would do but i couldnt make it up to Bumbershoot in time. I'm not trying to start something too much but you like instruments and this CD has them. Its worth giving a chance to listen too.

I took a listen...

This is evidently from MTV's unplugged series.. and they hired some studio musicians/band to attempt to play music behind this guy...

The singer, Jayz or whatever, is about as comprehendable as Bob Dylan with a gag in his mouth... the band does not flow with his lyrics or his style.... and I don't think the people in the backup band were that good anyway...

And how many attacks can he throw towards other performers in his ungodly rants??

This was a waste of a download.. and is now rightfully deleted

MLB ERA
    Hey, where did you download it from?

MLB ERA
    Just a little mp3 server that I know of... small subscription service... run by someone I know

MLB ERA
    Blah.. small subscription means money, and that's money I don't have..

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    Sampling cuold be an artform of some sort.. that still don't make it music...

And as stated.. I have no respect for the supposed 'bands' that use beat kits etc, either...

As for rap bands using instruments... of what I have seen, I have seen exactly zero, zilch, nada... I have seen rappers on different shows that may have actually used a live drummer on the stage, but most everything was sampled/mixed/recorded/etc...

So until I see the evidence that they are making music, instead of making sound entertainment... I'll stick to the bands that actually create and play the actual music...

And I'm not saying that I would actually like the rap if suddenly they created and played actual music... but at least I would have more respect for them than the zero respect I have now
    Just for arguments sake, how is sampling different than somebody paying a band to play (ie: the band is not part of the songwriting process)?

The music itself was still played by somebody originally.

You could argue what is the difference between a hip hop artist putting together a track and Mozart composing a symphany. Both are putting together sounds played by other musicians to make a body of work.

I'm not saying you have to like anything, but critisize the end product, not the process.

MLB ERA
    I agree.

MLB ERA
    HOW IS IT DIFFERENT??
    Are you serious??

Taking RECORDED music actually played by someone else, and reusing it is supposedly making music?? PUH-LEASE

You popping a cd in your player and hitting play, pause, play... is not making music... and neither is sampling

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    HOW IS IT DIFFERENT??
    Are you serious??

Taking RECORDED music actually played by someone else, and reusing it is supposedly making music?? PUH-LEASE

You popping a cd in your player and hitting play, pause, play... is not making music... and neither is sampling
    So what if they had robots that played 'traditional' instruments? Would that make it more appealing to you?

MLB ERA
    If the robots were self aware, creative, and cogniscient.. I'd say yes...

But since they are not.. it is a moot point

sampling and creating beats is much, much more difficult than you make it sound. its a difficult process that takes a lot of skill and a keen musical ear, just like playing any other instrument. just because theyre not creating the music via a piece of wood, some strings and an amplifier doesn't mean its not music.

for reference's sake, i play bass guitar and also create beats via my computer for a band. and playing bass guitar is MUCH easier. i know the difficulty of beat-making isnt the issue at the center of this debate, but you're overlooking some of the skill involved

MLB ERA
    It's hard to rip a phone book in 1/2 widthwise too... it don't make the sound it makes music

so what you're saying, in essence, is...

those guys who play glasses of water by tapping spoons onto the glass are in fact "musicians," because they're physically doing it with their hands?

but someone who uses various elements of music like samples and drum machines to compile a musically coherent and appealing song is not?

that may be your opinion, and thats fine...

but music is music, no matter how its created... to suggest otherwise is ignorant

MLB ERA
    music is created by the person playing it... not the person playing the sample or cd of the person who is playing it

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast