View Poll Results: what do you do at a stop sign?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • stop completely

8 33.33%
  • Hollywood stop (slow down, but never stop, then go)

11 45.83%
  • go through without stopping at all to get to that natural gas emergency

0 0%
  • what's a stop sign?

2 8.33%
  • I don't have a car and shouldn't be answering these questions

3 12.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S3F Driver's Test Question #3

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    I treat it like a yield sign.
    That's pretty much what I do.

MLB ERA
    I slow down enough that if i need to I can stop fully but if no ones around and I dont have an obstructed view of the road I wont stop.

Bunch of pedestrians in the area? oh heck yes I stop you never know what they will do.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AA ERA
    Yea, I mean I don't speed in neighborhoods, but that aren't gonna stop all chances with kids jumping out. Regarding stop signs, I usually slow to near a stop and then proceed if safe if not just stop. Bad I know, but it's the hardest habit I've had breaking.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    According to the Kentucky State Driver's Manual, you are supposed to stop long enough for the front end of your vehicle to come back up from being down due to stopping.
    rf28

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    yes they are called speed humps. yes, they are something that is a hindrance and no i never want to design a road with them. i dont particularly care for traffic calming.

btw, I do the rolling stop thing quite a bit, though it depends on if im in my parents hometown or in chicago. if the latter, I'm definitely doing a fullstop cuz i dont wanna die.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    I stop completely no matter what. I am in a new car, I take no ****ing risks with that thing.

Same here!

Rookie ERA
    I don't have a car, but if I did I would do the Hollywood Stop.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    in my neighborhood we have what I call "crosswalk sized speed bumps." I guess they're technically called "speed humps."

they're designed to slow traffic and such...the ones we have a higher than the one in the picture...I couldn't find a similar one. They are all over my neighborhood. First them put them on one street, so people went one over...then they put them there...it kept going like that until they were everywhere.
    They usually have them in parking lots to prevent speeding and running over pedestrians.

I usually stop completely.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX
    They usually have them in parking lots to prevent speeding and running over pedestrians.

there is one about every 200 feet or so all over my neighborhood...I slow to stop and just roll over them...when they first put them in there were some people who flew over them at night...obviously they didn't know they were there because they don't do that anymore...only if someone is being chased by the cops, which happened a few months ago...one car going 60 followed by 6 cop cars going 60 just flying over those things

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX

those are generally called speed bumps, not humps. the ones providence are talking about are speed humps. the former are short in width, while the latter allow for a bit higher speed. they dont want you to stop, after all. they just want slow traffic.

speed bumps however, they really would prefer you to stop altogether. humps are on local roads, bumps are in parking lots is the other way to look at it.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

They're installing humps around here, near the schools and on streets where people race.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    those are generally called speed bumps, not humps. the ones providence are talking about are speed humps. the former are short in width, while the latter allow for a bit higher speed. they dont want you to stop, after all. they just want slow traffic.

speed bumps however, they really would prefer you to stop altogether. humps are on local roads, bumps are in parking lots is the other way to look at it.
    the humps in my neighborhood are higher than speedbumps around here...and they're not really gradual...you don't have to stop altogether, but I wouldn't go fast over them...that's why I said I call the ones I have "crosswalk sized speed bumps"....they're a combo of both...

Astros and a Beer AstrosAnonymous's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    I usually hit the gas on speed bumps, because the hit reaction is alot less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12