Thread: Microsoft releases info on new Windows

Microsoft releases info on new Windows

Yahoo! News: Microsoft releases some info on new Windows

SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp.'s ambitious plan to keep data safe on PCs will make a scaled-down debut in the next release of Windows, though the operating system's most anticipated improvements in graphics appear to mirror what's now available from rival Apple Computer Inc.

The long-delayed Windows upgrade, code-named Longhorn and now expected in December 2006, has been touted as the most significant update to the ubiquitous operating since Windows 95 launched in 1995.
    I'm a huge fan of Windows. I like the new updates that they plan on having. I understand some people may not like Microsoft or Windows. But it's what I've always had, and it's what I like. Year nad half until it's released for the public to buy, but nonetheless very exciting.

MLB ERA
    Is this going to be different from that Windows 2003 (64bit) thing?

I think it is. They are saying it's the biggest improvement/upgrade since Windows 95. I read only some about it earlier out of the Wall Street Journal, and it seems to me like it there are improvements on the search features such as you can connect keywords with Documents. Such as you connect the keyword "John" (If your name is John) and you want to find all your documents that you typed up. You would be able to type in John in a search feature and all those documents will come up. There will be 3D effects with the icons. There was some more, but I can't seem to remember them in detail.

MLB ERA
    so, you are going to need about a GB of memory to run this resource hog I bet. *sigh*

Not sure on all that stuff. Sorry. I'm not very knowledgable about what you need to run certain things, etc.

MLB ERA
    The bad thing about windows (and believe me, I'm not a windows basher) is that the more resources you make available on your system, the more resources it hogs up, the biggest and most notable being memory. Also, if you are using swap space on your hard drive, it slows down performance big time. So, if this thing is going to be -that- much of a change, similar to going from Windows 3.1x to Windows 95, then look out, cuz we're going to need computers on steroids to run it.

Ya. I understand. Windows is very slow at times for me, and Windows has gone stupid on me. But I still like it, and if my computer can fit it, then I would love to get this new windows.

MLB ERA
    windows longhorn will have stuff that is similar to sp2 (which sucks), prolly a VGUI that will use 20% of ram, you'll need atleast 1 gig of ram to run it i'm sure. and atleast a 1.8-2 gig processor minimum.

i'll just get it pirated
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]