Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best city in North America to live in!

MLB ERA
    Just for the record, if you click on each city's name, it gives an overview of the selections and background and other information on the city's ranking from various other magazines and publications, etc.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Heh. Those people could make Detroit sound good.

Trust me, Grand Rapids and Marquette County isn't all that grand.

Not to mention, Richmond, Virginia? I've been there at night time, and lets just say, I wouldn't exactly leave your car parked for long.

MLB ERA
    Well, I am going to post Cincy's stuff here since it is on the list:

"I had left long ago, first for Denver, then Los Angeles, and had stopped thinking of Cincinnati as an exciting destination years ago. Fortunately, civic leaders had not given up. Residents have long been proud of their attractive city, built as it is on verdant and gentle hills affording spectacular views of the Ohio River. And they never forgot what Charles Dickens wrote in his "American Notes": "The inhabitants of Cincinnati are proud of their city as one of the most interesting in America and with good reason." Or that Winston Churchill found it America's most beautiful inland city. Or that Henry Wadsworth Longfellow called it the "Queen City of the West." So they set out to revive it. Years of effort suddenly are reaching critical mass."
    — Steven Rosen, The Los Angeles Times, Sept. 7, 2003

This is a town of best-kept secrets, where the thrill of a new discovery lies around every corner."
    -Travel + Leisure Magazine, November, 2004

• Home to 10 Fortune 500 headquarter firms and nine Fortune 1000 headquarter companies. In addition, another 400 Fortune firms have operations in Greater Cincinnati.
    • Expansion Management Magazine ranked Cincinnati USA No. 12 for Best Metro for European Investment and No. 16 Best Metro for Business Expansion, July 2004.
    • Site Selection Magazine named Cincinnati USA No. 8 of its Top Metros for New & Expanded Facilities, March 2004.
    • More than 1,000 firms engaged in international trade - ranking Greater Cincinnati 22nd nationally in total exports.
    • Fortune Magazine ranked Cincinnati 7th among the Top 15 Cities as Great Places to Live and Work.
    • Forbes Magazine calls the region one of the "Best Places for Business and Careers."
    • Business Development OUTLOOK Magazine names Cincinnati one of the top 25 "2000 Choice Cities" for business expansion or relocation.
    • The New York Times says, "Cincinnati exemplifies the cities driving the U.S. economy".
    • Employment Review and Outlook both listed Cincinnati among the Top 20 Best U.S. Cities in which to Live and Work.
    • Inc. Magazine ranked Cincinnati among the top 25 Large Metro Areas to Start a Business in Now.
    • Entrepreneur Magazine ranked Cincinnati 16th for entrepreneurship and #1 for “LowestFailure Rates”.
    • Yahoo Internet Life says Cincinnati is one of the Top Wired Cities in 2000 - ranking it 25th out of 50.
    • Sprint Business ranked Greater Cincinnati on their list of "Most Productive Cities in America"based on economic productivity composite index.
    • Sales & Marketing Management ranked Cincinnati 10th in its Top 20 Hottest Markets for Selling and Doing Business. Factors considered included population increases, retail sales,effective buying income, increase in building permits, unemployment rates, job growth, mix of industries, tax rates, number of corporate relocations and number of new corporations.
    • Dun & Bradstreet and Entrepreneur Magazine ranked Cincinnati 16th among large cities in its “Best Cities for Small Business.”
    • Dun & Bradstreet and Entrepreneur Magazine ranked Cincinnati 1st with the Lowest Business Bankruptcy Rates.

• In its August 2004 issue, AmericanStyle magazine ranked Cincinnati No. 5 among its list of 26 top arts destinations, recognizing three of Cincinnati’s arts venues: the Contemporary Arts Center, the Cincinnati Art Museum’s recently opened Cincinnati Wing and the renovated Taft Museum of Art.
    • In April, 2004, Esquire Magazine ranked Cincinnati as seventh on its top 10 list of “Cities that Rock”. Cities were chosen based on the talent in their music scenes, venues and record stores.
    • In 2004 credit-card giant VISA ranked Cincinnati No. 10 in its list of the 50 most innovative cities.
    • Cincinnati is the fifth most literate city in the country out of 79 with populations of 200,000 or more, according to a study by Jack Miller, chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.
    • Sporting News magazine names Cincinnati as the No. 1 college basketball city in America based on the quality of the University of Cincinnati and Xavier teams and their dedicated fans.
    • In a list compiled by Bert Sperling, creator of Money magazine’s annual “Best Places to Live” placed Cincinnati among the top 20 fun cities in the United States.
    • Newport Aquarium was named Zagat Survey's No. 1 aquarium in the Midwest and one of the 25 top-rated attractions in the country.
    • Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden ranked 13th of 50 national attractions in the 2004 Zagat Survey.
    • Cincinnati Art Museum tied with four museums for best art museum in the 2004 Zagat Survey.
    • Newport on the Levee topped the national list of malls and shopping centers in the 2004 Zagat Survey.
    • The Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal was chosen as one of the “10 great places to cherish choo-choo heritage” by USA TODAY in 2004.
    • USA TODAY in 2004 listed Oktoberfest-Zinzinnati as one of as one of the nation's “10 great beer festivals.”
    • Greater Cincinnati is ranked in the top ten by Fortune magazine as a great place tolive and work.
    • Special Millenium Edition of Places Rated Almanac ranked Greater Cincinnati seventh - the top 3% of metro areas.
    • Dubbed the “Queen City of the West” by Longfellow and called “America’s most beautiful inland city” by Churchill.
    • Study found that the average buying power in Cincinnati was eighth best in the nation.
    • Cincinnati’s Fine Arts Fund, the oldest in the nation, ranks among the top three in thecountry for total dollars raised by a united arts campaign.
    • World-renowned symphony orchestra, fifth oldest in the nation.
    • Cincinnati Opera – internationally acclaimed second oldest company in the U.S.
    • The May Festival, oldest choral music event in the Western Hemisphere.
    • One of the top five zoos in the U.S. and the second oldest. Renowned for breeding exotic animals and recently added Manatee Springs. Nation’s first and largest Insectarium. Most gorilla births of any zoo.
    • Paramount’s Kings Island – one of the top ten amusement parks in the nation.
    • The Newport Aquarium – in Newport, KY., with 11,000 creatures, the nation’s largest air shark viewing area and largest King Penguin collection.
    • Tall Stack – “top tourism event in 1999”.
    • Krohn Conservatory - one of the nation’s largest public greenhouses.
    • One of the largest municipal park systems of a major U.S. city.
    • Waynesville – the antique capital of the Midwest.
    • The public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County ranks third in the nation in total circulation.
    • The Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park won the 2004 Regional Theatre Tony Award

Medical firsts and other noteworthy successes highlight Greater Cincinnati’s
    medical history:
    • The first oral polio vaccine developed by Dr. Albert Sabin
    • The first medical laser laboratory, established by Dr. Leon Goldman
    • The first antihistamine - Benadryl by George Rievesche
    • The first pediatric eye institute
    • The first argon laser surgery in the U.S.
    • The first Pediatric Liver Care Center and the Prenatal Research Institute
    • The first heart-lung machine
    • The first use of YAG laser to remove brain tumors
    • The first hip replacement
    • The first Center for Environmental Genetics, funded by the National Institute of Environmental Health Services
    • The first emergency medicine residency program
    • The first bachelor's degree program in nursing
    • The first medical center in the world to treat inoperable brain tumors and other tumors with new noninvasive LEXAR radiotherapy
    • Pioneering of skin grafting techniques; one of the first skin banks
    • Leader in the treatment of cancer and blood disorders in children
    • One of the most successful bond marrow transplant centers for children
    • Developed the Alcyon computer system to monitor the vital functions of high-risk newborns;only one its kind in the world
    • Developed a method for the preservation of whole blood
    • The Heimlich Maneuver to prevent choking, by Dr. Henry Heimlich
    • One of the world’s largest surgically-oriented vascular laboratories
    • One of five national sites for vaccine research of childhood diseases
    • Nationally recognized transplant program for heart, lung, liver, pancreas and kidney
    • Developer of the bubble oxygenator
    • World-renowned children's hospital - first in pediatric surgeries and third in research funding from National Institutes of Health.
    • Largest number of pediatric surgeries, emergency and outpatient visits
    • First in America to install a new type pacemaker designed to help people with heart failure
    • Launching of new world-class brain clinic – Neuroscience Institute
    • “Best Doctors in America” includes 112 faculty members from the College of Medicine
    • Discovery of a drug the reverses arthritis in laboratory animals and prevent septic shock and onset of diabetic symptoms
    • Developed method to measure brain damage

• 1835 - First bag of airmail - lifted by a hot air balloon.
    • 1849 - First city in the U.S. to hold a municipal song festival - Saengerfest.
    • 1850 - First city in the U.S. to establish a Jewish hospital.
    • 1850 - First city in the U.S. to publish greeting cards - Gibson Greeting Card Company.
    • 1853 - First practical steam fire engine. First city to establish a municipal fire department and first firemen's pole.
    • 1869 - First city to establish a weather bureau.
    • 1869 - First professional baseball team - the Cincinnati Red Stockings, later known as theCincinnati Reds.
    • 1870 - First city in the U.S. to establish a municipal university - University of Cincinnati.
    • 1870 - First city to hold annual industrial expositions.
    • 1875 - First city to establish a Jewish theological college - Hebrew Union College.
    • 1880 - First city in which a woman, Maria Longworth Nichols Storer, began and operated a large manufacturing operation - Rookwood Pottery.
    • 1880 - First and only city to build and own a major railroad.
    • 1902 - First concrete skyscraper built in the U.S. - the Ingalls Building.
    • 1905 - Daniel Carter Beard founded the Sons of Daniel Boone, later known as the Boy Scouts of America.
    • 1906 - First university to offer cooperative education - University of Cincinnati.
    • 1935 - First night baseball game played under lights.
    • 1952 - First heart-lung machine - makes open heart surgery possible. Developed at Children's Hospital Medical Center
    • 1954 - First city to have a licensed Public television station - WCET TV.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    I came this close to negative repping you for posting that long ass snorefest.

MLB ERA
    I tried to neg rep you for making that comment about a totally on-topic post I made, but accidentally pos repped you instead. Feel blessed.

MLB ERA
    Dude is that a ****ing joke? Compare it's statistics and history to NY and CHI and you've got nothing. I've heard great things about SD, but I'm biased towards NY. I'm hoping to go to college in either DC, BOS, or NY so I'll update it...or not, because, as General would say, I "touch myself at night"

MLB ERA
    Dry, I assume that comment was direct at Cincy? Compare what statistics and history? I think you need to learn yours.

The site looks at many different factors to make their determinations. It is a subjective process, but I trust a neutral site to be more objective than those who actually live in the cities themselves.

Good thing the neg rep worked that time.

MLB ERA
    As a citizen of the Cincinnati area...it sucks. I'd say 95% of the people who live here would better serve the world by being dead.

MLB ERA
    You're not a native either. We don't want you Geki.

Bashing intelligence it sounds like, huh? Too bad one of the statistics I posted indicates we are 5th of 79 major metropolitan areas in terms of literacy.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if I'm alone, but nice weather is such an important criteria to me that it automatically disqualifies all cities north of ... the invisible line from SF to North Carolina, let's say.

MLB ERA
    Shit, I forgot Miami.

Miami and San Diego top my list. Followed probably by Los Angeles, and Austin. Atlanta kicks plenty of ass, too.

MLB ERA
    Miami, Orlando, Ft. Myers, San Diego, Austin, Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Compare what statistics and history? I think you need to learn yours.
    Dude, if you're actually comparing NY and Cincy in terms of history and entertainment, you oughta go find a really tall building and jump off.

NY is great, just that you need money to be happy.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Aw, how cute. Someone says that Cincinnati sucks so CRF neg-reps them.

The Cincinnati area is horrible. It's highly populated with rednecks, the city itself is a dump outside of a few areas, the people are generally tools (Okay, I see why CRF likes the place so much. He fits right in), and the sports fans are the biggest fairweather fans in the country.

Bite me.

*rimshot*
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast