Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I think CrazyEights is going for mission's old record

MLB ERA
    Well, we can talk to mission about adding in the option for showing rep points of everyone. That would be a good thing, for it's part of the reason for even having it.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    You see people's rep power on thenflforums, so I assume it's set up the same here (although not positive yet).

Also, as you get more rep yourself, you are able to give more rep. So, if you look at thenflforums, when I give someone rep now, they get like 115 rep points, vs if Kobe gives someone rep over there, his rep is worth like 6 (just guessing, haven't looked specifically on it). The more you post, the higher your points go up too (but it's gotta be a lot, not just a handful). As I give someone rep points on that forum, their own rep value goes up. Back to the same example, if Kobe's rep is worth 6 pts right now, if -I- give him rep for something, he'll suddenly be worth like 8 or so, just becuase of the amount of rep he got from me.

It's kind of convaluted, but as you use it, it becomes clearer. Your points go up for every 100 or so rep points you get. First it's like every 10 points and then 100 (depending on how it's all set up).

Now, that I have you confused, you are on your own.

It makes sense.

What if I disapprove of someone's post? does their points go down?
    Nobody lookin out for nobody
    Maybe we should try and help somebody or be somebody
    Instead of being somebody that makes the news
    So everybody can tweet about it
    And then they start to R.I.P. about it
    And four weeks later nobody even speaks about it.

MLB ERA
    See, I wanted to give you more rep for that post...but I have to spread it around first, lol

MLB ERA
    Yep, that can also be set by the admins. I've seen boards where you have to spread it around to 10 or more people and others where you only need to space it out by 3. If you are on a highly populated board, it's not hard spreading around rep. If you are on a smaller board, it's tougher. You might have a couple of really really solid posters and a lot of crap. In those cases, it sucks that you almost have to manufacture those 10 reps in between, just so you can give credit to someone good again. We
    should open up a thread in the mod forum on this discussing thoughts on spreading it around and the rules/guidelines.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by .KoBe.
    It makes sense.

What if I disapprove of someone's post? does their points go down?
    Yep. Personally, I'm not a fan of negative rep. Kind of that mentality of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all".

And quite honestly, in a few years of internet messageboards that have rep, I've only given out negative rep a few times, and it's been to obvious trolls, not because I disagree with someone's opinion on a topic.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    Yep. Personally, I'm not a fan of negative rep. Kind of that mentality of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all".

And quite honestly, in a few years of internet messageboards that have rep, I've only given out negative rep a few times, and it's been to obvious trolls, not because I disagree with someone's opinion on a topic.
    Yea, thats what I was thinking pretty much.

But then again, everyone's rep would be off the charts without negative rep to approve or disapprove a post right?..

It seems like something that could be abused as well, say I start giving you mad rep in every single of your post, and you do the same for me.

But then again its just one of those things thats like post count, really only good for bragging rights (if any).. not much more.

MLB ERA
    nah, it takes a long time to get rep up. If rep is set at 1 pt as I assume it is right now, you need to get 90 + reps to get a second rep box and also to move up to 11 rep points yourself.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by .KoBe.
    But then again its just one of those things thats like post count, really only good for bragging rights (if any).. not much more.
    Except for one thing. Your rep is given to you by your peers. If they don't like you or your posts, your rep won't go up. They can't do anything about a person post-padding just like you can't do anything about your rep points, other than put up quality posts and posts that people enjoy.

So, rep promotes good posts whereas post totals just promote posting period.

Rookie ERA
    yea, I pretty much get what rep point is now.

Sounds cool. Wish we could view other people's rep points too

MLB ERA
    We will.

The rep power will and already has been abused. Somebody gave me a negative rep, because I created a game thread in the Yankees forum when I didn't know a game thread was going to be made in MLB General Talk. I'll probably get some more negative reps, because people think "Hmm...he has 400 posts, he probably post padded alot....one negative rep...."

Take a look at all my posts before you take on look at the number of posts I have and start giving me negative rep.

AA ERA
    Yea it can abused still. People will trade points too, but the spreading stuff helps stop that.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by GoYankees
    The rep power will and already has been abused. Somebody gave me a negative rep, because I created a game thread in the Yankees forum when I didn't know a game thread was going to be made in MLB General Talk. I'll probably get some more negative reps, because people think "Hmm...he has 400 posts, he probably post padded alot....one negative rep...."

Take a look at all my posts before you take on look at the number of posts I have and start giving me negative rep.

people should give me negative rep. Its all bragging rights anyways, I really couldn't careless.

You should relax a bit buddy

I know I should. My defense is up right now, but it's all good.

I'll calm down a bit.

Excited about the game tonight.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Howcome I'm "on a distinguished road" and some people are an "unknown quantity"?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast