Thread: Kinsler Names Rangers Starting Secondbaseman

MLB ERA

Kinsler Names Rangers Starting Secondbaseman

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Rookie Ian Kinsler has won the job as the Rangers' starting second baseman, manager Buck Showalter said.
    Showalter made the announcement after the Rangers' 3-2 loss to the Colorado Rockies at Hi Corbett Field. Kinsler is from Tucson and was told by Showalter after the game that he would be out there against Curt Schilling and the Boston Red Sox on April 3 at Ameriquest Field in Arlington.
    Showalter informed Mark DeRosa of the decision earlier in the week.
    "It's time to get that out there and let [Ian] get settled mentally," Showalter said. "We're real proud of him and Mark. We feel comfortable with both out there."
    Kinsler said he was glad to get the news Saturday rather than waiting in suspense until the end of spring.
    "I'm happy to hear it in Tucson, I'm sure he planned it that way," Kinsler said. "You couldn't ask for a better organization the way they moved me along and have confidence in me. I want to make sure I stay there as long as possible. This is just one step."
    Kinsler, after going 0-for-4 Saturday, is hitting .250 this spring, but with four home runs and eight RBIs in 42 at-bats. He has made just one error defensively.
    "He's been consistent," Showalter said. "I talked to him for a half-hour at the [January] minicamp and told him what he needs to do. He's a confident young man but he wears it on the inside. He has a lot of respect for this level of competition.
    "We wanted to see how he handled himself defensively and his feel for the rest of the club, and he passed the test on both."
    Kinsler had a couple of people he wanted to tell: his fiancee Tess and White Sox rookie center fielder Brian Anderson. Kinsler and Anderson were teammates at Tucson's Canyon del Oro High. Now they are competing for the same award.
    "I just need to be consistent," Kinsler said. "I expect there will be some growing pains. I have lofty goals but I also have to stay grounded." T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Not like this is any big surprise but I'm looking forward to seeing what the kid can do. He showed some decent power and solid defense over the spring so if that can carry over, he could be a ROY candidate.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    He'll definitely be able to put up some offensive numbers in Arlington and you're right...it's no surprise

So not only does trading Soriano ditch a big contract who can only hit half the year, and he gets a legitimate OF of similar quality (it seems), he gets Kinsler the ability to start to boot. Nice.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.