Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers looking for 5th starter? Or still hoping for Clemens?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rangers Rangers looking for 5th starter? Or still hoping for Clemens?

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/14130840.htm

No. 1, of course, is Roger Clemens. If the Rangers have an inkling that "The Rocket" is headed their way, then all they have to do with the No. 5 spot in the rotation is hold the fort until he arrives, probably on May 1.

But if they're not feeling optimistic about Clemens, they need to be thinking about getting a fifth starter from outside the organization.

Why? Easy answer. Because none of the internal candidates have shown they can do the job this spring.

Things are getting so desperate, Showalter was even talking about putting John Wasdin back in the mix Friday. Wasdin has been working solely as a bullpen man this spring and hasn't even been stretched out.

But Josh Rupe's sore elbow, Juan Dominguez's shaky spring and R.A. Dickey's continuing adventures in developing the knuckleball have the Rangers checking their hole card.
    I don't think Clemens will play and if he does I just can't picture him in a Rangers uniform. They could get Wells or Arroyo from the Sox if they don't trust the guys they have in camp. Does anyone actually think Clemens would sign with Texas?

MLB ERA
    http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=tex

The Rangers would like one more left-hander in the bullpen and one of the overlooked tasks that general manager Jon Daniels and assistant Thad Levine accomplished was stockpiling left-handed-reliever depth in the offseason.

Shouse is just one of seven left-handers who came into camp as a bullpen candidate. Jesse Carlson has already been sent out and the Rangers may find it difficult to keep Rule 5 draft pick Fabio Castro.

But they have more depth than other clubs in a crucial position, so scouts watch carefully how the Rangers will sort this out. If C.J. Wilson develops into the power reliever the Rangers think he can be, then he'll likely get the second lefty spot in the bullpen. Kevin Walker and Carlson will provide Triple-A depth and Ron Mahay and Erasmo Ramirez could be shopped around.

Of the other two spots, the Rangers would like one more right-handed setup reliever, which could be Antonio Alfonseca, Scott Feldman or Jose Silva.

That would leave a long man, a role built for John Wasdin, although Ramirez could fit there, as could knuckleballer R.A. Dickey. Both Wasdin and Ramirez could be claimed by other teams on waivers if they don't make the 25-man roster. Dickey remains a fifth-starter candidate.
    It appears that the bullpen may not be set until the rotation is set. Really, other than the Cordero, this doesn't have the makings of a good bullpen IMHO. What do you guys think?

MLB ERA
    here's more info on the bullpen:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.46cf6aa.html

But the wall of relievers remains crowded. Texas still has a few decisions to make in the bullpen the next few weeks.

They got some looks at some of the contenders on Sunday.

The Rangers need another left-handed arm to go with situational southpaw Brian Shouse.

The leader of that bunch may be C.J. Wilson. But Rule 5 draftee Fabio Castro has impressed.

He came in earlier than expected Sunday when Adam Eaton was hit in the forearm by a line drive. Castro pitched well, giving up two hits and striking out four in three innings.

The Rangers wanted to see him in extended innings to give him a look as a long reliever. He had one bad outing against Kansas City on March 9 (five earned runs in two-thirds of an inning), but in his last three games he's gone six innings with no runs, three hits, four walks and 10 strikeouts. Opponents have hit .136 (3-for-22) against him in that span.
    still doesn't sound all that impresive to me.

MLB ERA
    Rangers still looking for another starter.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ck=1&cset=true

Josh Rupe, whom the White Sox traded in the 2003 Carl Everett deal, appeared in line for a spot in the Texas rotation before being shut down with a sore elbow. The Rangers have put out feelers for a veteran starter, with Atlanta's John Thomson and Boston's David Wells among those under consideration. . . .
    Who would you rather have? Thomson or Wells?

MLB ERA
    Well, Hicks isn't giving up on Clemens just yet:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.7bcfcda.html

SURPRISE, Ariz. – The nonstop recruiting of Roger Clemens resumes. Rangers owner Tom Hicks has invited Clemens to join him in Arlington on opening day – and to travel by private jet that evening if Texas reaches the NCAA Tournament final.

And an invitation to join Hicks at the Masters could be right on its heels.

The Rangers are honoring the University of Texas' national championship football team before the April 3 opener against Boston. Football coach Mack Brown will throw out the first pitch.

"He can come incognito as a fan if he wants or he can participate in the ceremonies," Hicks said. "If he comes, it would be a good sign, but I wouldn't read too much into that."

Clemens has yet to respond. The invitation could be an all-day affair. Hicks said he would use his jet to fly to Indianapolis after the Rangers' game if Texas advances.
    Is there anyone here that seriously believe Clemens will sign with the Rangers?

MLB ERA
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.cd0639a.html

PHOENIX – Here's all you need to know about the status of the fifth spot in the Rangers' rotation: Manager Buck Showalter actually wanted to spend more time talking about being deposed for a civil lawsuit Wednesday morning than the performance of Edinson Volquez and Juan Dominguez.

Paired up in a "pitch-off" Wednesday against Milwaukee, neither pitcher could make anything close to a statement about warranting the spot.

"They both struggled today," Showalter eventually said when he got off the subject of the deposition. "I'm thankful we're only looking for one guy. We'll continue to look at it and try to make good decisions at the end of spring."

In a 10-5 loss to the Brewers, Volquez lacked command, particularly of his breaking ball, and was torched for five runs on five hits and three walks while throwing 68 pitches in just two-plus innings.

Dominguez was inconsistent, mixing some good sinking fastballs with flat pitches that the Brewers drove all over Maryvale Baseball Park. Dominguez allowed a home run to Gabe Gross that very nearly exited the entire stadium.

He also gave up an opposite-field homer to Corey Koskie, who had homered off Volquez earlier in the game. It was the third straight spring outing in which Dominguez has allowed at least two home runs.

His pitching line was eerily similar to Volquez's on Wednesday. He lasted 3 1/3 innings but also gave up five runs and three walks. Neither pitcher recorded a strikeout.
    It doesn't appear either of these guys wants the job. Who do you think should / will be the 5th starter? I like when Showalter said "I'm thankful we're only looking for one guy."

You know who would look really nice in a Rangers uniform? Matt Clement. I think a fair price for him would be Texieira and, eh, Kinsler I guess. I don't like giving up Clement for so little, but I'm feeling nice. He's a great 5th SP!

Seriously though, if neither prove themselves, why not just use a four-man until you need that 5th man? Give yourself an extra couple weeks to see if anyone comes out and earns the spot. If I chose, I'd go with Volquez, since he's only been hideous in the spring and not pathetic.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    It appears the Rangers are interested in trading for John Thomson.

http://www.ajc.com/friday/content/ep...4013300da.html

ohn Thomson knows he's at the center of swirling trade rumors, but the pitcher was poised amid the turbulence Thursday.

With scouts from the Texas Rangers and a few other teams watching, Thomson had his best performance of spring training. He allowed five hits and one run in six innings against Cleveland in a 1-1, 10-inning tie.

The Braves are trying to trade Thomson to move his $4.75 million salary and add some bullpen help. If he's traded, Kyle Davies could step into the rotation.

"It's there," Thomson said of trade rumors. "I can't let it bother me. I have no control over it. All I can do is go out and pitch and try to get people out."
    This probably wouldn't be a bad move for the Rangers since none of their guys have stepped up to the plate, but I wonder what they would give up.

MLB ERA
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.6cbe07a.html

SURPRISE, Ariz. – With a flurry of fluttering knuckleballs, R.A. Dickey made his case for the fifth starter's job Friday night.

Dickey pitched six scoreless innings, allowing just three hits, against a representative Chicago Cubs team in the Rangers' 5-1 win. Dickey threw 68 pitches, getting first-pitch strikes with the knuckleball on 14 of the 21 hitters he faced.

"This was the first time that coming out of his hand almost every pitch looked like a strike and then the ball would move," catcher Rod Barajas said. "It was very promising."

While Rangers manager Buck Showalter echoed those thoughts, the fifth starter's job remains up in the air with two weeks to go before his first scheduled outing. Edinson Volquez, who struggled Wednesday, will get another shot Monday against Seattle. Juan Dominguez, who has gone from front-runner to barely in the mix, will face Oakland on Tuesday.

The Rangers also have investigated the trade market. They had scouts at John Thomson's start for Atlanta on Thursday, but finding a fit for a deal with Atlanta may be tough. The Braves have asked for right-handed hitters; the Rangers have few to deal. Thomson is also making $4.75 million, and the Rangers probably would demand the money equal out in any deal.
    It doesn't appear that the Thomson deal will work out, but you never know I guess.

MLB ERA
    More Clemens gardbo:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

Headed for Houston?

Privately, some Astros people are confident Roger Clemens will return to pitch for them. They take it as a positive sign that he has left his equipment with them, and yesterday he was spotted again in Astros camp, where he said he's been since the WBC ended. One National League executive said he suspects Clemens might even have made an unwritten agreement to return at the time Houston declined arbitration.

Astros GM Tim Purpura denied that was the case. But although Purpura said they're "just playing the waiting game" like everyone else, he doesn't deny they're favored in this derby. He said, "All these signs are positive from our point of view. There is a relationship that's developed over the last two years and I think is very genuine, and it's stronger now than it was a year ago."

"I'd be absolutely shocked if he plays anywhere else but [Houston]," another Astros person said. "He's very comfortable. He has his buddy Andy Pettitte. He lives in the city, and he's going to be [in Houston] after he retires."

Retires? That's not a concept Clemens even understands. That happens now only if he thinks he is physically unable to perform, unlikely considering his strong WBC performance.

"Houston provides an opportunity none of the other teams can. He can sleep at home," conceded Rangers GM Jon Daniels.

That doesn't mean Texas has given up. Quite the contrary. Daniels said the Rangers have signaled to Clemens they're willing to be "flexible," meaning Clemens wouldn't have to travel to road trips when he's not pitching. Plus, Daniels points out, "It's only an hour trip, a 30-, 40-minute plane ride plus two 10-minute car rides."
    As I've said I'd be surprised if he signed with Texas. Another thing to think about is that Houston has a roof and Texas doesn't...Clemens is too old to be melting in the Texas summer. I say he'll sign with Houston or he'll retire.

I can't see Clemens anywhere but Houston at this point. I think he'd have trouble with the heat and hitter's park in Arlington. Yankees fans cannot be too happy with the whole retiring thing. I think Sox fans would take him back, but they have enough pitching at this point. He could retire too, but I agree with Prov, the logical destination is Houston.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Just go with a 4-man rotation already

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....121d7fd2.html

PHOENIX – Rangers management planned to lock itself in a poorly ventilated conference room – "the sweat box," according to manager Buck Showalter – on Tuesday evening and deliberate until reaching a verdict on the fifth starter.

At this point, they may never emerge from the room.

Another day passed at Rangers camp and so did a few more opportunities to win spots in the rotation. In an 8-3 loss Tuesday to Oakland, neither whipping boy Juan Dominguez nor good-soldier R.A. Dickey gave management officials anything on which to stake their reputations as evaluators.
    Rangers/MLB

"[General manager] Jon Daniels will take in a lot of opinions and hopefully we'll come to some kind of decision," Showalter said. "We've got a lot of information and lot of background. It's not like there is absolute finality with whoever is on the opening day roster."

Translation: The Rangers may have to take their best guess for the opening day roster and be willing to adjust shortly after that. There has been no clear winner.

MLB ERA
    http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

But the 43-year-old Clemens didn't exactly breeze by in his trip down memory -- and perhaps -- future lane.

For close to 45 minutes, Clemens, accompanied by agent Randy Hendricks, set up shop in a small office in front of the clubhouse and talked with Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein. Principal owner John W. Henry also stopped in, as did chairman Tom Werner.

Josh Beckett's eyes lit up when he saw the Rocket, and he also went in to speak with the fellow hard thrower and Texas native. Tim Wakefield, David Ortiz and Trot Nixon were among the Boston players who exchanged pleasantries with the legendary Rocket.

So was the World Baseball Classic truly a swan song for a certain future Hall of Famer, or does he still have some pitches left in that lightning bolt of an arm?

"I don't have any interest in playing right now, at all," said Clemens. "Again, like I said guys, I kind of get on Randy [Hendricks] all the time, he's making this more and more difficult to retire. That's his job, he just lays my options out there if it happens. Again, I'm probably going to kick back and watch. If somebody goes down, or something like that, and I really feel like I can help and get out there and contribute, I might decide to do it. But not at this point."
    Well, you guys are still trying to get him...as are the Red Sox....

MLB ERA
    Millwood didn't look too good yesterday, huh?

MLB ERA
    it appears Dickey may lose his rotation spot after last night's superb start.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.dff381b.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast