Thread: Rangers rushing pitching prospects again??

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rangers Rangers rushing pitching prospects again??

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=tex

On Tuesday, Volquez will make his Major League debut in a doubleheader against the Chicago White Sox. The Rangers have not determined which game he will start. Joaquin Benoit is also scheduled to start one of the two games.

"Things are different in this situation, but I've always wanted to keep the ace in the hole [for the second game]," Rangers manager Showalter said of starting Volquez in the first game. "You go with what you consider your best in the first game, and what if it doesn't work out? You also think about who can handle sitting around better. There are a lot of variables there."

Volquez went 1-5 with a 4.14 ERA in 58 2/3 innings at Double-A Frisco. He started the season with the Class A Bakersfield Blaze, going 5-4 with a 4.19 ERA. While on rehab for a strained oblique, Volquez pitched two scoreless innings for the Arizona Rangers.

"He's a young pitcher," Showalter said. "He's going to have hiccups, but stuff-wise he has been very impressive. He's going to give up some hits here. I bet he walks somebody and I bet he strikes somebody out."
    You mean to tell me there's no one in AAA to call up? I mean, this guy has hardly been impressive this year going a combined 6 - 9 with an ERA over 4.00. There's a huge difference between AA and MLB...if he's so good, then why didn't they promote him to AAA?

MLB ERA
    Surprise surprise...this guy has gotten rocked so far...stupid Rangers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/st...layerID=450172

Code:
    W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO 
    0 2 17.55 2 2 0 0 0 0 6.2 12 13 13 2 1 5 5

MLB ERA
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/st...layerID=450172

He only gave up 1 earned run last night, but only went 4 innings and still got the loss. 0 - 3 with an ERA close to 12.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Nah, I thought Volquez was ready. He hasn't shown any kind of weakness in the minors. I liked the thought of giving him a shot, instead of ruining better prospects'(Such as Danks or Diamond) confidence.

He just hasn't done anything at the major league level. He's not being rushed. He's not being asked to get big innings in a pennant race. He's just a young pitcher with a great minor league season that they thought they would give a look in the majors. Nothing wrong with that.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon
    He's just a young pitcher with a great minor league season that they thought they would give a look in the majors. Nothing wrong with that.
    6 - 9 with an ERA over 4.00 at A and AA is a great season?

AA ERA
    I think it partly depends on other things too. If he's physically ready for the majors and is just missing some mental stuff, or has a killer K/BB ratio sometimes they can take a chance with them and get them some experience.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    6 - 9 with an ERA over 4.00 at A and AA is a great season?
    He wasn't even a top 10 spect coming into the season. Now he's being talked about as a top-of-the-rotation guy. I think that's a great season.

MLB ERA
    a top of the rotation guy for the Rangers isn't saying much, now is it?