Thread: Rangers' Wasdin can find his spots

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rangers' Wasdin can find his spots

Rangers' Wasdin can find his spots

By TODD WILLS / The Dallas Morning News

ARLINGTON – John Wasdin embraces situations most big-league pitchers would detest.

Consider this: He was labeled with the not-so-kind nickname "Way Back Wasdin" by Boston media members after giving up a home run to Cleveland's David Justice in the 1998 AL Division Series. Wasdin shrugged of the tag and the boos from Fenway Park fans that came the next season.

"What is a name?" he said. "What do they say, sticks and stones ..."

Now, he embraces a label he's given himself – utility pitcher.

Wasdin, who makes his second start tonight against Toronto and who will take Kenny Rogers' spot in the rotation when his suspension starts after All-Star break, has been the Rangers' EMT the last two seasons.

When he's been called upon for emergency starts, he's turned in brilliant performances, such as the one last June at Florida to snap a four-game losing streak. Or 10 days ago, when he allowed one run in eight sensational innings against the Los Angeles Angels in place of Kenny Rogers, who couldn't pitch because of an injured hand.

Wasdin has also helped the bullpen in a pinch. There was a four-inning save June 12, also against the Marlins in Miami. There were 4 2/3 key innings Saturday, when he allowed one run in Seattle.

Wasdin, 32, has gone from leading Oakland with eight wins as a rookie in 1996 to being the Rangers' answer for any pitching emergency.

"Before, they [the Athletics] thought I was a starter, then I was a reliever," said Wasdin, who has a 1.40 ERA in seven appearances this season. "I'm embracing it as what it is. I'm like a utility player that plays every position."

Wasdin was one of the first free agents to sign with the Rangers last off-season, a commitment not lost on Rangers management. If not for a potent flu bug that swept through the clubhouse during spring training, Wasdin may have made the opening-day roster.

Instead, he was the player most affected by the flu. He missed 12 days of spring training and lost 15 pounds. He made four appearances in spring games, giving him little chance to make the team.

But he accepted his assignment to Triple-A Oklahoma and went 9-2 for the RedHawks before being promoted June 12. He never sulked and asked "why me?" He embraced the situation.

"If you go down there with that type of attitude, that this is terrible, your potential won't be there and you'll drag others down," Wasdin said. "I figured I was here for a reason and I was going to do the best job I can do."

Wasdin could revert to the pitcher the Rangers pulled from the rotation last July. But he is the answer for the present, relying on an improving two-seam fastball.

"We knew he would throw strikes," catcher Rod Barajas said. "And that he would throw more than one pitch."

If there is anything Wasdin would prefer not embracing, it is pitching for several different teams in a short span. He enjoys his role as Rangers' emergency man.

"I don't want another home," Wasdin said.
    Click here for the other notes (registration required)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    There's nothing spectacular about Wasdin obviously but his stats this year have been solid. Plus he has been very effective at home in Ameriquest Field (has yet to give up a homer there.) I am pulling for the guy to have a solid outing, he's had some bad luck this year and he deserves a turnaround in luck. His last outing versus the Mariners he had a season high in strikeouts so maybe his success will continue.

AA ERA
    Utility pitchers = r0x0rz. Mitre and Rusch have developed into that in Chicago and they help a ton.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Even though it mentions it in the article...

WAY BACK! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BACK!

The combination of Way Back Wasdin and Upper Deck Beck was pretty lethal though.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.