Thread: Teixeira picked for Home Run Derby

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Teixeira picked for Home Run Derby

Teixeira picked for Home Run Derby

01:05 AM CDT on Thursday, July 7, 2005

By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News

ARLINGTON – Mark Teixeira will take on the world.

The Rangers first baseman, who co-leads the AL in home runs, was invited to represent the United States in next week's Home Run Derby at the All-Star Game.

The derby is undergoing a format change. In anticipation of next year's World Cup, the eight invited players will represent seven countries and one territory. Teixeira, who, along with Manny Ramirez, has 22 homers, is second among U.S.-born players to the Chicago Cubs' Derrek Lee.

Lee, however, pulled out of consideration Tuesday after sustaining a shoulder injury.

"Anytime you have nations pitted against one another, it takes on a little extra meaning," said Teixeira, who was a member of Team USA in 2000 but did not participate on the Olympic team. "It doesn't matter if it's a home run derby or the Olympics, it adds flair. But this is a home run derby, so let's not take it too seriously. I'm going to do it and really enjoy it."

The derby is expected also to include representatives from the Dominican Republic (David Ortiz), Panama (Carlos Lee), Netherlands (Andruw Jones), Canada (Jason Bay), Venezuela (Bobby Abreu), Puerto Rico (Ivan Rodriguez) and Japan, whose representative is undetermined.
    Article Link

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Big Tex should be a lot of fun to watch in the derby. His raw power is tremendous so I can see him being in the derby down to the finals if he doesnt put too much pressure on himself.

AA ERA
    I guess I will root for the American .
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Teix is an exciting player to watch, and I'm hyped to see the HR derby.