Negotiations between Josh Hamilton and the Texas Rangers on a multiyear contract extension have opened, and the All-Star center fielder has turned down the club's initial offer. Hamilton said Wednesday that he received a proposal Tuesday night, but he and agent Mike Moye were not impressed. Hamilton did not disclose terms of the offer - nor did general manager Jon Daniels or owner Tom Hicks - but discussions will continue. "My agent and I were disappointed with their offer," said Hamilton, who will make $555,000 this season. "The negotiations have begun." Hicks said the Rangers probably will use past deals with second baseman Ian Kinsler and designated hitter Hank Blalock as a guideline in talks with Hamilton. The goal is to buy out Hamilton's final three years of arbitration as well as his first few seasons of free agency
The Rangers don't need to do anything drastic here to keep Hamilton. Hamilton has a lot of talent but he is no young pup and will be 28 in May of this year. I would to see if he stays injury free for another year.