Thread: Vizquel Back In The AL?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rangers Vizquel Back In The AL?

MLB.com reports that the Rangers are close to signing Omar Vizquel to a minor league contract.
    Vizquel figures to serve as a utility man, but will provide competition for prospect Elvis Andrus at shortstop and could be used as a short-term stopgap there if the Rangers opt not to go with the rookie right away.
    The only reason and I mean the ONLY reason I like this deal for the Rangers is who could be a better mentor for Andrus than a future HOF SS? Vizquel will provide some leadership from a bench role but shouldn't get that much playing time. He can't hit anymore but he can still field at a high level and is a great clubhouse presence.

Rookie ERA

Re: Vizquel Back In The AL?

I wonder how Michael Young feels about this? He agrees to make the move to 3rd to make room for Andrus, and now they are talking about bringing in Vizquel...I think I would be pretty pissed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm sure they explained to Young that Vizquel might only start the year at SS for a month or so if Andrus needs more time.

MLB ERA

Harold Reynolds and Barry Larkin were talking about this on MLBTV last night and they agreed that Michael Young should be a bit upset by this move. They tell him he is moving to 3B to make room for a kid that may or may not be ready to play at the major league level? Sorry, but if Andrus isn't ready, Young should stay at SS and Andrus should play at AAA until he is ready to contribute at SS.
    This said, Vizquel would be a great mentor for Andrus, as was said earlier. Not many people better at the position than Omar is.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If Andrus isn't ready, doesn't it make more sense for Young to stay and get his time in at third? Young is playing a new position and needs all the time he can at third to get used to it. It took Arod a while to become a respectable third baseman and will take Young even longer given his age. I am sure someone in the Rangers organization explained this to him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Vizquel settles for a minor league deal! Its good to see a future HOFer check his ego at the door.

MLB ERA

Lets see what he has left in his bat. Its obvious tht he could play defense for a few more seasons. If he can hit, he can make the team. If he doesn't hit, I see him retiring.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

After watching him the past two seasons in SF, he cannot hit anymore.