Thread: Teixeira; Will he stay or will he go?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Teixeira; Will he stay or will he go?

Is it time to think about trading him before the deadline this year. He has Boras as an agent and I would believe they would go after the money after this season. Would it be wise to trade Teixeira if the Rangers continue to fall in the standings? What would the Rangers need to help put this team in a better situation even after losing the big first baseman?

MLB ERA

Re: Teixeira; Will he stay or will he go?

Trade Teixeira?

I know the past that you can't change is no reason to make or not make a move, but that would make the Chris Young/Adrian Gonzalez trade look that much worse.

Teixeira is the only reason they don't really miss Adrian.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

It would be absolutely horrible if the Rangers traded Teixeira. All indications are they want to sign him long-term and keep the infield of Teixeira, Kinsler, Blalock, and Young together. The Rangers downfall so far this year has been starting pitching, what a surprise. On paper they have a very solid rotation with Millwood, Padilla, McCarthy, Tejeda, and I guess Loe. With the AL West playing as it has so far you would think that would be enough to be in contention. The only problem is McCarthy and Tejeda are the only ones that are pitching well. Once Millwood, Padilla, and Loe get it going they will start picking up steam.

Gotta agree with Leo too. The only reason Gonzalez was traded is because they already had Teixeira. Trade Teixeira and they have no good viable options to replace him. It's not easy to replace that kind of production, and if the pitching can perform the way they are supposed to then Texas shouldn't need to try and replace Teixeira's production.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Jon Daniels is open to listen in on offers for Teixeira. But will not be pursuing anything.

At some point if the season doesn't turn around over an extended period of several weeks, will you consider trading some of the veterans for younger players with potential?
    Yeah, if we get to that point, you have to at least consider it. I'm not saying it's going to happen. You certainly have to see what is out there and explore your options and keep your organization's long-term interests in mind.
    Mark Teixeira is arbitration-eligible next year, then he can leave the year after that. Would you consider a trade for him?
    You never want to talk about moving a player of Mark's stature. In a perfect world, he's one of those players you'd like to see from a Ranger standpoint and an industry standpoint of wearing the same uniform his whole career. That's getting more and more rare. I guess I would listen, but I'm not going to actively do anything there. I still have hope that Mark remains here long-term. But we're not in a position where we can't at least listen to what's out there.
    Star-Telegram.com | 05/21/2007 | Daniels prepared to take blame for play

I think it would be a mistake as well. As you said Molina, you guys do need to get your pitching going. But if it does not wake up soon, you may see Teixeira depart by the deadline.

MLB ERA

You would have to think the pitching would get going eventually. Millwood and Padilla are the big drawbacks so far and I think we all know they are both very solid pitchers when they get going. McCarthy has been pitching great this past month so if they can get the 3 of them going at the same time I see no reason why they can't get back into contention. Trading Teixeira for more pitching isn't the key, because they already have the pitching, they just need to perform. And then they have some guy name Eric Hurley coming up in the minor leagues too.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This all seems odd to me. Because if you sacrifice Tex's bat, then you lose a major offensive asset. But if you wait for the pitching to come around, you may never see the chance to contend.

It seems as though the Rangers are stuck in a rut and may end up acting out of desperation. Seeing how Wayne Krivsky did the Reds last season, I can assure you that this is not a wise move. Hopefully they do not trade Teixeira until they know they are out of contention for sure. At that point, you have to think the smart move would be to trade him for prospects in hopes to get something from him because he either becomes too expensive or else becomes a free agent.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The problem with trading Teixeira is that his trade value is probably at its lowest yet. Now, in order to boost his trade value, he would have to swing a hot bat at some point, but then if he produces what he is capable of then Texas has little reason to trade him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think he is doing alright. He is batting at a .299 clip where his career has him at .283. OBP is up on his career number as well with a .385 this year vs his career .366.

I think he is a commodity as a switch hitting 1st bagger with power and the ability to get on base. Many teams would bite on him especially if he were drawing interest from a contender.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

From Ben Maller's blog:

I think there is a strong possibility the Rangers would consider dealing Mark Teixeira. I outlined the clubs I think would be the best fit (in order: Boston, LA Angels, Baltimore) from the Rangers perspective. I'm not sure Boston feels like it needs to acquire a first baseman right now with Kevin Youkilis hitting .340. For me, the best fit would be the Angels (I'd want either Joe Saunders or Nick Adenhart, Brandon Wood and either Reggie Willits or Kendry Morales), and I'd probably be willing to include a reliever (Joaquin Benoit, perhaps?) to get that deal done. I don't care that Angels are in the Rangers division. I think that package makes Rangers better this year and the future, and if I'm GM that's my sole goal.
    Would you guys like this deal?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    From Ben Maller's blog:

Would you guys like this deal?
    I don't know much about those guys, except in limited action Saunders looks pretty good and Morales was good in an OOTP league. lol

At this point I am skeptical about anything that involves the Rangers bringing in more pitching. With the exception of Brandon McCarthy who is pitching well after a horrible April, the Rangers have not had much success with new pitchers. In Texas you need offense to win and if the Rangers lose Teixeira they don't have much left, at least not in the power catagory. If they won't be able to resign Teixeira I would say do that so they could get something for him, but otherwise I would prefer they just keep developing who they have now. If Volquez and Hurley develop that would give them a pretty good young rotation without having to trade anybody.

I'm a big Teixeira fan anyway so I would hate to see him leave regardless of what we would get back though.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA

If the Angels and Rangers were to make a trade, I'd insist on Kotchman as part of the deal. He could be nearly as good as Tex, and wouldn't cost as much for now at least.
    Saunders is a nice piece to the rotation puzzle. He has great stuff and is a nice kid (yes, I've met him and talked to him a couple of times when he was in the minors). I think he could become a fan-favorite in Arlington.
    I might think about a deal like Tex for Saunders, Kotchman, and Hank Conger (a catching prospect in the low minors that may develop into a great major leaguer).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon